Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion

NorthernRab

Posted

yeah snow is now heavier here to, also looks like its beginning to settle at lower levels coming back from the gym the snow was starting to settle at 50m+ will be interesting tomorrow morning could be mega depth here :)

Scott

Wowsers! You guys certainly cop it when it comes to a more traditional winter - hoping things aren't too disruptive...here, we are in a lull of a more mild scenario but me thinks winter will come back again, even in these milder realms, certainly been a winter to remember. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

yeah defo snow level dropping if you have any ground near you thats above 100m should be good falls there :)

Scott

The Glennifer Braes will have taken an absolute hammering today.

Posted

Wowsers! You guys certainly cop it when it comes to a more traditional winter - hoping things aren't too disruptive...here, we are in a lull of a more mild scenario but me thinks winter will come back again, even in these milder realms, certainly been a winter to remember. :)

Yeah end of febuary start of March is when we see most snow. also just saw Sean Battys weather forecast looks like could be epic snow for the next 2 days will just need to wait and see :)

Scott

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Good luck guys and gals in the west and north hope you get some great snow totals.

Wet and dreich here now.

Posted

On the commute home it rained all the way from Edinburgh to Harthill then snowed all the way to the edge of Kilmarnock (v. heavy on the fenwick/eaglesham moors and 6inches + settled with drifts up to 2 feet roughly). Back in Killie its heavy sleet which has washed away the earlier snow cover. So close to a major snow event but not quite! (here)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

I've put STV on now to see what the Batty is going to say :) You wonder if STV's weather people really know anything or whether they just read from script??

Latest BBC Scotland forecast keeps the snow over me until tomorrow afternoon :)

I fell over on the way back from the shops just before tea. Heard a loud crack when my arm hit the ground. I can still bend it though.

Snow starting to gather again on the cars which were out and about today, looks like the weather warning is going to verify for 3/5 :)

Posted

just looking at forecast of looks like its going to be snowing for at least another 12-15 hours, now if I average 1.5cm an hour possibly looking at 35cm+ here cant wait for morning see what I have got :) Cheers

CMD what you think? what depth is possible?

Scott

Edited by scott_anthony_glasgow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Good luck to those further west and north who are finally getting the big frontal dumping promised.

Good luck to those further west and north who are finally getting the big frontal dumping promised.

Thanks LS. I feel sorry for anyone who hasn't got snow but this has just made me appreciate the snow even more. I've been out and about in it for a total of about 4 hours today so the snow is not falling on ungrateful ears (to paraphrase).

We've got a real chance of a truely memorable snowfall, especially if the BBC forecast comes off and the snow stays all day tomorrow. As it stands the snow is the deepest single fall since March 2006.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

yeah mate you have been very unlucky sad.gif still lots more potential to come smile.gif

Overall though we've done well this winter, much better than in any previous winter I can remember, so this doesn't really bother me. As long as somewhere in Scotland is getting a dumping i'm happysmile.gif And yes, more potential to come. I feel the track of the low was the major problem - had it swept in west to east or southwest to northeast marginality would have been less of an issue here, more like 12th March in that respect, but of course this wouldn't have neccessarily worked out as well for people further north.biggrin.gif

just looking at forecast of looks like its going to be snowing for at least another 12-15 hours, now if I average 1.5cm an hour possibly looking at 35cm+ here cant wait for morning see what I have got :) Cheers

CMD what you think? what depth is possible?

Scott

Up to 20-25cm is certainly possible if it keeps snowing as forecast by the Met-O weather warning for Inverclyde (until 6am tomorrow). If the latest BEEB forecast comes off then 30-40cm.

I'm scared to look at the radar :)

Edit: Just 3 miles from me there is no snow :)

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Up to 20-25cm is certainly possible if it keeps snowing as forecast by the Met-O weather warning for Inverclyde (until 6am tomorrow). If the latest BEEB forecast comes off then 30-40cm.

I'm scared to look at the radar :)

Edit: Just 3 miles from me there is no snow :)

ha I will not be looking at the radar tonight! not good for the nerves!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

I've put STV on now to see what the Batty is going to say laugh.gif You wonder if STV's weather people really know anything or whether they just read from script??

Batty is well qualified. Like me, he studied Meteorology at the UNiversity of Reading.

Thanks for that. My point was that for my location while it was marginal for most of the day it did fall entirely as snow until about an hour ago but failed to settle, though this is probably also due in large part to the warm uppers pushing in from the North Sea.

UNlucky. We've got 6cm in the garden and 2.5cm on the open fields here. It snowed up until 1400hr then turned to sleet then drizzly rain by 1600hr. I was in Leven all morning. It was sleet to snow to sleet. THe snow didn't settle in Leven. A mile up the road, it was 2cm deep in Kennoway.

Posted

Batty is well qualified. Like me, he studied Meteorology at the UNiversity of Reading.

UNlucky. We've got 6cm in the garden and 2.5cm on the open fields here. It snowed up until 1400hr then turned to sleet then drizzly rain by 1600hr. I was in Leven all morning. It was sleet to snow to sleet. THe snow didn't settle in Leven. A mile up the road, it was 2cm deep in Kennoway.

I guessed that anywhere above about 80m asl would have quite a decent bit of snow, as not all that far up the hill there was clearly 5+cm of snow.

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

I guessed that anywhere above about 80m asl would have quite a decent bit of snow, as not all that far up the hill there was clearly 5+cm of snow.

Hi LS,

About 6" of level snow here with some drifted snow at about 12" good.gif

Cooncil sent a JCB Digger oot just after I got in from work and that has taken some of the depth of snaw away, so it's a bit easier tae drive and walk through now biggrin.gif

Big Innes

Posted

Hi LS,

About 6" of level snow here with some drifted snow at about 12" good.gif

Cooncil sent a JCB Digger oot just after I got in from work and that has taken some of the depth of snaw away, so it's a bit easier tae drive and walk through now biggrin.gif

Big Innes

Damn, well at least you got yer snaw! The snow lying shield which, to be fair, has been much, much less of a problem this winter than in others was the major drawback today, and I'm sure Hiya, Norrance, SP33 and By-Tor will have had the same problem. March can still be good for snowfall, but as I've said before this event was merely the crowning jewel in a very snowy winter (or in my case the only valid disappointment!).

edit: Another thought - that youtube forecast for Baltimore for 14-22 inches of snow, well in terms of depth by tomorrow evening anywhere above 100 metres in central, western or northern Scotland could have something like that, without even exaggerating!

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Damn, well at least you got yer snaw! The snow lying shield which, to be fair, has been much, much less of a problem this winter than in others was the major drawback today, and I'm sure Hiya, Norrance, SP33 and By-Tor will have had the same problem. March can still be good for snowfall, but as I've said before this event was merely the crowning jewel in a very snowy winter (or in my case the only valid disappointment!).

I can empathise with you about that pain of disappointment, I remember December too well, with snow slamming south of here and north of here and me sitting in the middle TOORPing my head off :whistling:

Today is making up for it somewhat :lol:

Posted
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)

Me too LS, a very slight covering this morning! sleet and rained since though.

Mandy xxx

Posted

I can empathise with you about that pain of disappointment, I remember December too well, with snow slamming south of here and north of here and me sitting in the middle TOORPing my head off blush.gif

Today is making up for it somewhat laugh.gif

My maximum depth of 10 inches is under threat - I hope you equal it but please don't exceed it cause it took me 25 days to get to that before it melted!laugh.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

edit: Another thought - that youtube forecast for Baltimore for 14-22 inches of snow, well in terms of depth by tomorrow evening anywhere above 100 metres in central, western or northern Scotland could have something like that, without even exaggerating!

Aye a got ma snaw this time LS.clap.gif

A bit of height and further inland from the coast helps in these conditions.cold.gif

Doon at the Forth Road Bridge and the Queensferry's (North & South) you would never know that there was snaw anywhere, as it was chuckin it doon with rain when I drove hame ohmy.gif

Turning a wee bit sleety here now and the temp is +1 Deg C and the wind is still blowing.

Big Innes

My maximum depth of 10 inches is under threat - I hope you equal it but please don't exceed it cause it took me 25 days to get to that before it melted!laugh.gif

It's really weird what's happened today. I came back in from my last walk today at about 5pm and the trees were bare, roofs were bare and the cars outside (which had been moved) were snow free. There was a major thaw on with a lot of slush underfoot. The snow at that time was still falling but had been looking increasingly like sleet from about 3pm onwards. Just as the sun set and the darkness fell the sleety looking snow suddenly went back to proper snow again. Everything is completely white again outside, the cars which were clear are now well covered so easily an inch of snow on them. Can't tell with the other cars as they're just big snow lumps now.

We're on the cusp of a good snow event becoming something really special.