Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion

NorthernRab

Posted

Loads of Snow :good: hasn't stopped all night, schools all closed around here too. DH made it to work due to leaving the car parked beside main road yesterday, but did have to spend a half hour digging his and another car out, treacherous road and he is the only one who's made it into work so far! He says the East/West marginality snowline is the Tyrebagger/Airport as usual, and it's raining in Aberdeen.

Can't quite believe the difference - in a situation like this, the definite marginal line where it is we would usually have a lot less than we have here too - with the likes of Huntly/Alford getting the lion's share, but it's not quite the case this time. It is much wetter snow today with temp of +1.3 and DP +1 at the minute so maybe it will become more "normal" like that later.

just checked the NAE charts and it looks to be givving a heavy burst around lunchtime again, for here and the central region

10022512_2500.gif

with a later heavy burst confined a bit more Northwards, Highland Area into the afternoon & overnight again

10022606_2500.gif

before starting to move south giving the central and southern & Borders (& Northern England - seeing as I see we have some new residents lol!) another shottie on Saturday..

10022700_2500.gif

Not sure of the depth here either as the wet snow has obviously compacted the stuff that was lying, trees are hanging very heavy and low, and the wind had caused uneven depths before that.. however I'll go measure the bit I cleared last night as that added to the 8 inches I measured yesterday evening will give an idea..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Morining

Fed up:wallbash: we keep getting snow, then its sleet and now rain. Only wanted one last dump of snow but it just not going to happen here :good:

Morining

Fed up:wallbash: we keep getting snow, then its sleet and now rain. Only wanted one last dump of snow but it just not going to happen here :cray:

There's still time, it can snow long into March and April at low level across Scotland. Even May sometimes :)

Working from home today, got as far as Castlecary, lorry stuck trying to get up hill so turned around and went home. 6" and still snowing.

BoyCatch's school is closed today so I'll not get much studying done :good: (fine excuse).

It is hard to tell how much snow we have, easily the most since March 2006 though!! :)

Between 4 and 8 inches just around the flat and at the shops; I would imagine a bit more in the countryside around the village and in the village away from the centre. And it is still doing a snow/sleet/rain cycle thing which is getting annoying :lol:

Posted

BoyCatch's school is closed today so I'll not get much studying done :good: (fine excuse).

It is hard to tell how much snow we have, easily the most since March 2006 though!! :)

Between 4 and 8 inches just around the flat and at the shops; I would imagine a bit more in the countryside around the village and in the village away from the centre. And it is still doing a snow/sleet/rain cycle thing which is getting annoying :lol:

Ours were advised that if they could make it then fine but otherwise stay home, so packed them off. :cray:

Went to bed last night and it was heavy rain with the odd flake here and there, so when I opened blinds this morning, you can imagine the shock! Snow heavy here but fine. Might have to take the 4x4 up the farm road for a giggle. need to go pay for my milk anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Ours were advised that if they could make it then fine but otherwise stay home, so packed them off. :good:

Went to bed last night and it was heavy rain with the odd flake here and there, so when I opened blinds this morning, you can imagine the shock! Snow heavy here but fine. Might have to take the 4x4 up the farm road for a giggle. need to go pay for my milk anyway.

Enjoy your off roading! lucky things to have woken up to more snow.

Ours were advised that if they could make it then fine but otherwise stay home, so packed them off. :good:

What is it you do Cheggers that you can work from home? I thought you were a pharmacist :lol:

Ours were told yesterday they could go in if needed but stay off if they wanted. Today it is a complete closure. I actually have to agree with what they've done. The main road is clear but very slushy and it would only take a couple of hours of heavy snow to have some severe problems round here. The school have done really well this winter and have been very sensible with respect to keeping the school open. Today is the first full closure and I think they made the right choice as it is snowing heavily as I type.

Big fat flakes of snow here now, radar says rain :cray:

Posted

What is it you do Cheggers that you can work from home? I thought you were a pharmacist :good:

I'm an IT Consultant for NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde, and work in Emergency Medicine, Diagnostics and Pharmacy. Got full access it to the NHS network so working from anywhere is easy.

Enjoy your off roading! lucky things to have woken up to more snow.

Only need to drive 15 miles east west to enjoy. :cray: (need more caffeine)

Edited by Cheggers

I'm an IT Consultant for NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde, and work in Emergency Medicine, Diagnostics and Pharmacy. Got full access it to the NHS network so working from anywhere is easy.

Ah, that makes more sense now!! :lol:

Edit: No need for an edit now :good:

2nd Edit: MrsCatch is sending me out to panic buy at the shops :cray: Weather warning out for up to 10cm today, possibly more overnight and then an advisory for up to 10cm tomorrow. Oh dear.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

I am getting the same cycle Catch. There are some really nice big flakes about today however it is being proceeded by rain and then sleet. Stil plenty of snow cover though. At about 8 o'clock this morning it was snowing with big big flakes and that is actually what has just started happening now! :good: How long before it turns to rain once more? I wish I was just an extra 30 metres higher up :cray:

EDIT: Back to sleet/rain already :lol:

Edited by WhiteXmas

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Foggy and very heavy rain here! Unfortunately, most of the rain is in my hall! Got up this morning to a flood and my new hall carpet absolutely ruined and paper is hanging off the ceiling!I have buckets and basins all over the place. Looks as if all the hard frosts over such a long period have done damage to the flashing in the gully. On top of that, you guys have got all the bloody snow! :lol: I daren't mention snow to my hubby at the moment as you can imagine! :rolleyes:

I am getting the same cycle Catch. There are some really nice big flakes about today however it is being proceeded by rain and then sleet. Stil plenty of snow cover though. At about 8 o'clock this morning it was snowing with big big flakes and that is actually what has just started happening now! :lol: How long before it turns to rain once more? I wish I was just an extra 30 metres higher up :p

EDIT: Back to sleet/rain already :o

We came out the cycle about 20 mins ago and it's just big fat snow now. Heavy big fat snow. I really hope everyone realises how chuffed I am about this snow. I've waited for this for 4 years and I am completely made up!!!! :) :) :)

Sorry to anyone not getting any snow but I promise I really appreciate what a lucky little Lettuceer I am :rolleyes:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Blitzen what a nightmare - hope you can get it fixed soon.

Lovely pics Cheggers.

off out to the garden centre, it'll be spring here soon! lol! time to start planning my crops.

see ya later

Posted

Cheggers - any idea what Stirling's like ?

Stuck in Glasgow, but thinking I might need to leave soon....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

We came out the cycle about 20 mins ago and it's just big fat snow now. Heavy big fat snow. I really hope everyone realises how chuffed I am about this snow. I've waited for this for 4 years and I am completely made up!!!! :p :o :)

Sorry to anyone not getting any snow but I promise I really appreciate what a lucky little Lettuceer I am :rolleyes:

Good to hear it :lol:

I hope it turns to snow again however looking at the radar it doesn't look as if there is much precipitation left in our area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

We got at least another 24hrs of Snow/Rain, what are the chances of it turning more towards snow rather than rain? Have we lost all that cold air that we had over us a couple of days ago.

Foggy and very heavy rain here! Unfortunately, most of the rain is in my hall! Got up this morning to a flood and my new hall carpet absolutely ruined and paper is hanging off the ceiling!I have buckets and basins all over the place. Looks as if all the hard frosts over such a long period have done damage to the flashing in the gully. On top of that, you guys have got all the bloody snow! :lol: I daren't mention snow to my hubby at the moment as you can imagine! :rolleyes:

I hope the damage in the house isn't too bad. It's really invasive when that happens. Especially water damage :o

Cannae help the snaw though!! :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Yesterday's snow began to lie (whilst I was away) but turned to rain during the evening. That rain was particularly heavy, heavier than the snow was, so outside is just a slushy mess.

No sign of snow or even sleet since yesterday, only rain. This snow event is turning out more typical of Glasgow I think.

We got at least another 24hrs of Snow/Rain, what are the chances of it turning more towards snow rather than rain? Have we lost all that cold air that we had over us a couple of days ago.

Every chance as the front sinks back south, I think. What height do you live at though Ally??

Posted

Cheggers - any idea what Stirling's like ?

Stuck in Glasgow, but thinking I might need to leave soon....

Not sure but looking out my back garden, very dark over there, M876 was closed earlier, and Cumbernauld is a no go zone at present.

Temp up to 1.4 and snow has stopped. :rolleyes:

Hope you get your mess sorted out Blitzen, not nice to have happen. :lol:

Edited by Cheggers

Posted

I thought some of you might be interested in this from Cairngorm ski centre-I suspect many areas in the Highlands with similar altitude have about the same amount?

CAIRNGORM MOUNTAIN WILL NOT BE OPENING TODAY DUE TO THE VERY HEAVY SNOWFALL.

Approx 65cm of snow has fallen in rothiemurchus and it continues to snow. The mountain road is blocked and will be closed all day.

Posted

In Bishopbriggs it snowed for most of yesterday but was pretty wet snow and only amounted to about 5cm in most parts by early evening.

Then it turned heavier and we had a good fall beteeen about 4.30pm and 11pm. Warmer upper air then moved in, despite the surface temperature still falling, and then we had heavy rain overnight. I thought all the snow might be gone in the morning but it must have turned back to snow in the early hours because we had another covering on top of the old stuff by the morning.

At the moment its about 4-5 cm of slush on the road outside and about 6-7cm of heavy wet snow on the grass, paths etc.

It was so marginal all day and I think the snowline around the Glasgow area was only about 50-60 metres (I checked this out in Partick where, in the afternooon, the snow was lying at the top of Gardner St and not at the bottom, for anyone who doesnt know it its the steepest street in the West End).

There will be understandable disappointment for those in the central and other low lying areas in Glasgow as other areas got big totals but there will still more opportunities over the next 48 hours. In fact, looking at the radar there appears to be a chance later this morning and into the afternoon although at the moment, it again, seems quite marginal to me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm dry summers

I thought some of you might be interested in this from Cairngorm ski centre-I suspect many areas in the Highlands with similar altitude have about the same amount?

CAIRNGORM MOUNTAIN WILL NOT BE OPENING TODAY DUE TO THE VERY HEAVY SNOWFALL.

Approx 65cm of snow has fallen in rothiemurchus and it continues to snow. The mountain road is blocked and will be closed all day.

Welcome to the Scottish thread John.

Yes it has been pretty bad up there, have had a look at the web cam on the A9 at Drumochter summit, they are fighting to keep the main route North open.

http://www.trafficscotland.org/lev/index.aspx

SS2

Edited by sandstorm2