Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion

NorthernRab

Posted

http://expert.weathe...022618_2418.gif

Is that 200cm I see across the whole of the central highlands???????

nah... 50! though on the higher points possibly 50-100..I have a handy colour picker utility for work and it's all the shades.. though it looks pretty darned impressive and scary! when you're talking that much what's 20cm here or there!

OMG just noticed that's for Friday, thought it waseant to be calmer?

Posted

2.3/1.3, very windy and some sort of ppn flying around, not sure if it counts as slizzle if it's horizontal.

its Rain Sleet rain sleet further north and making me cry like many others on the coastal areas I dare say. Have you had much snow there. I know Tain to Golspie was bad this afternoon.

0.3 and dp -0.8. I wish it would just go down a wee bitty, please..........

Should add its windy here too

Edited by waxwing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

its Rain Sleet rain sleet further north and making me cry like many others on the coastal areas I dare say. Have you had much snow there. I know Tain to Golspie was bad this afternoon.

0.3 and dp -0.8. I wish it would just go down a wee bitty, please..........

Should add its windy here too

Snow in the morning, soon eased off after some schools cried off. More schools followed as it got worse in some parts with a bit of altitude.

No chance the temp/dp will go down enough to give us coasties a good dumping - always the way. Colder again once the ppn dies away on Friday I guess.

Posted

The Stirling Snow Shield gave way overnight - a fair chunk fell but it was mixed in with sleet...still an impressive dumping for us...M80 in to glasgow was ridiculous, no gritters to be seen anywhere...

Chucking it down with rain here in Glasgow - was getting some envious looks as people looked at the 2-3 inches on my car...

Edit - oh boy

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/pws/invent/weathermap/?lat=56.58369172128337&lon=-4.8779296875&zoom=5&layertype=layer&layer=0

Also have a severe WW issued at 0348 this morning for Central/Fife region.....

Edited by GraemeB

Posted

-1C Snowed all night and still snowing. Quantities not huge around 6inches in total and blowing in wind.

Set for the day.......and night.

Hmmmmm maybe not.........just had a look and the dam figure goes up - maybe turn to sleet mid afternoon

Edited by Gilly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snaw!

From the cairngorm mountain website Very heavy snowfall overnight. The road from Aviemore to the mountain snow gate is passable with extreme care, but recommend winter tyres or snow chains. 65cm of snow has fallen in rothiemurchus. shok.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder storms.

Heavy snow and a stiff breeze. Several inches have fallen since last night.

Temp -1c.

Snowplough has been, but so far only 4 cars have passed.

Posted

ferries cancelled for the day ,

winds blowing north easternly

gusting to about 35mph has been to 45 in last hour

wind chill -5.9

temps 2 going down

not snowing

Edited by milkmaid

Posted

I've got severe snow-jealousy with all these reports on the radio this morning of roads impassable with 2 ft of snow.

Hail, rain or more snow I'm going to central Highlands at the weekend to see it for myself!

Posted

According to the forecast by Carol Kirkwood on BBC Breakfast it looks like it is going to continue to snow in the favoured parts until about 3pm tomorrow afternoon!!!

Come on folks, share your piccies with us.

gobby

Still snowing here which is quite incredible, although it hasn't snowed all night. At least 3 inches on top of the 4-6 inches that was already on the ground. Trees and roofs have a good cover of snow on them after the thaw which had left them bare yesterday at 5pm. Hard to tell how much there is without going out and finding some snow which hasn't been disturbed/thawed at some point.

Today's forecast is for more precip; everything from snow to sleet to icy rain to rain. Fingers crossed for what falls as we could end up with another 2-6 inches which would be, to quote Scott Anthony "epic".

:):good::):cold::shok:;):)

Edit: I posted at the same time as you Scott :rofl:

2nd Edit: Have you seen the latest BBC Scotland forecast?? BRING IT ON!!!

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Am at work - can some precis the forecast ?

I know my wife has just called to say it's still blizzard like in Stirling....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Wet and very windy. Schools all closed. Roads difficult or closed. I want spring now, I can't earn a living or visit family with it like this.

Posted

wow epic snow here STILL snowing here, going out to check depth and get some pictures heres neilston which is not that far away from gives you an idea of the snow we have had

http://homepage.ntlw...neilstonwebcam/

Great pic. Awesome. Can only imagine what it is like in the Munro's ??blink.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Fog and and heavy rain this morning. Rain has gone off at last.

God i am sooooo jealous of all that snow, i hope you all manage to enjoy it. can't wait to see all your pics.

Posted

My son reporting from Sauchen tells me it snowed all night but he managed to get the car out and by the time he got to Westhill it was raining(Westhill is about 5 miles East of Sauchen) apparently Aberdeen airport is open as it is close to the North Sea.