Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Sunny with maximum of 6C here, though because the humidity is around 60%, the snowcover on the north side of the hill has remained completely untouched - perfect ski weather I suspect! Let's just hope it holds to the weekend.

Nope!

I think there was a cloud in Hawick earlier :lol:

Now 3C after a high of 7C (at Glasgow Airport). Barely a dent has been made on the snow cover with several inches left on most surfaces. This snow will take a wee while to melt if the weather stays as it is.

The weird thing now is that the rain which fell on Thursday night has actually ended up protecting the snow (let me explain). The rain seems to have soaked the entire fall of snow and compacted it to an extent but for whatever reason it didn't melt the snow very much before freezing. So we now have several inches of very hard snow pack (firm enough to easily support my 14st frame). It will take a lot of weather to melt this stuff and the 12z GFS has us completely dry until almost mid-March. We already have 7 days consecutive snow cover under our belts here so I wonder how many more days can be achieved??

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

I think there was a cloud in Hawick earlier :lol:

Now 3C after a high of 7C (at Glasgow Airport). Barely a dent has been made on the snow cover with several inches left on most surfaces. This snow will take a wee while to melt if the weather stays as it is.

The weird thing now is that the rain which fell on Thursday night has actually ended up protecting the snow (let me explain). The rain seems to have soaked the entire fall of snow and compacted it to an extent but for whatever reason it didn't melt the snow very much before freezing. So we now have several inches of very hard snow pack (firm enough to easily support my 14st frame). It will take a lot of weather to melt this stuff and the 12z GFS has us completely dry until almost mid-March. We already have 7 days consecutive snow cover under our belts here so I wonder how many more days can be achieved??

What cloud.. where, did I miss something???? :yahoo:

-1C here already and snow out back might as well be concrete it's so hard.

What cloud.. where, did I miss something???? :yahoo:

-1C here already and snow out back might as well be concrete it's so hard.

I saw someone trying to dig the snowcrete earlier and he wasn't even scratching the surface. I have never seen anything like this before. I know I'm going on and on about it but I have never seen 'snow' like this. Even the stuff at Xmas wasn't in this league of depth and firmness.

When I was up in the Glennifer Braes car park yesterday the rutted snow/ice on the car park supported the weight of the car; it was like the time I drove down a forestry track in the hills :lol:

Posted

I saw someone trying to dig the snowcrete earlier and he wasn't even scratching the surface. I have never seen anything like this before. I know I'm going on and on about it but I have never seen 'snow' like this. Even the stuff at Xmas wasn't in this league of depth and firmness.

When I was up in the Glennifer Braes car park yesterday the rutted snow/ice on the car park supported the weight of the car; it was like the time I drove down a forestry track in the hills :lol:

Were not that bad this time round, Dec Jan was like that though, several cars had a few scratches on the underside.

Great view from M80 just past Robroyston looking towards Campsies this evening on drive home.In fact almost everywhere you look seems to have snow of some description, but with elevation complete coverage.

Edited by Cheggers

Were not that bad this time round, Dec Jan was like that though, several cars had a few scratches on the underside.

Great view from M80 just past Robroyston looking towards Campsies this evening on drive home.

If you're at the IRH soon take a wee detour through Bridge of Weir and Kilmacolm as it is a winter wonderland out this way.

Posted

If you're at the IRH soon take a wee detour through Bridge of Weir and Kilmacolm as it is a winter wonderland out this way.

Might find some work that way this week. :lol: Got the wonderful Alexandria to contend with sometime this week as well, so might get a few snaps of the Lomond Hills to post.

Might find some work that way this week. :yahoo: Got the wonderful Alexandria to contend with sometime this week as well, so might get a few snaps of the Lomond Hills to post.

It's a good time to be taking photos. If you've got a half decent camera there are some amazing views to capture. For example, from the Glennifer Braes yesterday you could see Ben Lomond and Ben More quite clearly which in the case of the latter is very unusual.

I wish I had something better than a 3.1M camera which was dated when we got it 5 years ago :lol:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Got a 10MP SLR so looking forward to some good pictures. A shame though that just to post they need a major resize as 1 picture is around 3Mb.

Temp down to -2.3C now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

If Gilly from Milton of Leys sees this this evening, could you pm (or just post it here?) me please with your snow cover as I'm supposed to be looking at a site near you and was wondering whether to bother tomorrow. Thanks :)

The very slow thaw continued today. Temperature struggled up to a max of about 5C despite 9 hours continuous sunshine. Went to collect firewood this afternoon that was cut a few days ago and had to use a pick to lever it off the ground. :)

An elderly relative in Nethybridge still has 18" snow and is decidedly weary of the whole malarky.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

Well back down to -3c this evening after a smashing sunny day.Some thawing took place in a max of 4c but all that happens is we get about 2 inches of mud and water in sunny areas for a couple of hours the water can"t drain because of the frozen ground and so it all starts to refreeze after about 3.00pm into a block of ice.Not much thawing on deeper areas of snow which is now like concrete and any shaded area remains frosty and sparkling all day. Quite surreal with brilliant blue skies as we are obviously the snowline and anyone down near the coast has no snow at all. Hardly a sign of a green blade of grass. This bare frost on coastel winter crops is really making them turn brown.

Posted

Amazing........Scotland has been in freeze since December. Wonder of we will see any more flakes before the summer starts to kick in. I would think there will be skiing at Cairngorm into June now. Unfortunatley, unless things have changed, Glenshee has to close down shortly after Easter due to conservation. They will be sick as will probaly still have most runs complete. A huge amount of snow this year will survive the summer, as some of the gullies must have rediculous amounts of snow in them. Anyone have any idea of these depths. Some must 50ft deep perhaps more.

Also this site, although quieter now has been heaps of fun. Lets hope it all kicks off again earl December............only 9 months of fun in the sun to go.drinks.gifdrinks.gif

Edited by Snowplough33

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Amazing........Scotland has been in freeze since December. Wonder of we will see any more flakes before the summer starts to kick in. I would think there will be skiing at Cairngorm into June now. Unfortunatley, unless things have changed, Glenshee has to close down shortly after Easter due to conservation. They will be sick as will probaly still have most runs complete. A huge amount of snow this year will survive the summer, as some of the gullies must have rediculous amounts of snow in them. Anyone have any idea of these depths. Some must 50ft deep perhaps more.

Also this site, although quieter now has been heaps of fun. Lets hope it all kicks off again earl December............only 9 months of fun in the sun to go.drinks.gifdrinks.gif

Glenshee often used to have to close because of the conservation / Easter rule back in the seventies and eighties when many runs were complete. The numbers often fell about that time of year at all the resorts also as people began Summer activities. Even those that could have kept going closed not due to lack of snow but because not enough people were out. Cairngorm did keep the tows and chair open one year until end May [1975 perhaps]. I skied the Cas that year on the May bank holiday though you did have to look out for holes above the burn.

The snow patch thread will be late starting this year as they wont be patches until June imo. However some of the snowiest Winters of the past were not great for snow patch retention as winds from the North and East stacked the snow on the South and West facing slopes which are first to melt. However this year has almost unprecedented depths generally over the hills so I would imagine there will many patches surviving including one or two away from the usual high Caingorms / Nevis range patches.

Anyway role on next Winter, at least when this one finishes.

Posted

I was up at the Cairngorm Ski resort today. Amazing amount of snow..........this was the snow bank cut through by the ploughs on the access road.

post-2738-12675699141755_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gilly

Posted

I was up at the Cairngorm Ski resort today. Amazing amount of snow..........this was the snow bank cut through by the ploughs on the access road.

I've seen smaller icebergs breaking of the coast of Greenland? Wow is all can say to that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Too early for a 'winter is over' post?laugh.gif

Posted

I've seen smaller icebergs breaking of the coast of Greenland? Wow is all can say to that.

There will be skiing up there this year easily until May Cheggers........lots of people there skiing and snowboarding. Unfortunately the Funicular railway was closed because it is covered in snow.

Posted

Too early for a 'winter is over' post?laugh.gif

Why not, some memebrs been saying that since November! :)

I take it the models are showing raging S'wlies then.

Posted

There will be skiing up there this year easily until May Cheggers........lots of people there skiing and snowboarding. Unfortunately the Funicular railway was closed because it is covered in snow.

Am hoping to head up that way in the next few weeks, maybe even next weekend. In-laws down on Friday from Forres to babysit (x factor in the weeg with kids.....:)) so hope to head back up behind them

Looks stunning up there.

Edited by Cheggers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Chresus Jist! That's some amount of snow! Fantastic!

In other news, one of my guesses has finally lucked out and won the monthly CET comp. Happy daze!

M****n W****r, my *rse!

:) :) :):D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Posted

Why not, some memebrs been saying that since November! whistling.gif

I take it the models are showing raging S'wlies then.

No, just showing the date as being the 2nd of Marchrofl.gif