Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Wee girl now home and recovering well. Snow melted quite a bit today after this mornings barrage of white fluffy stuff, but view out the back still amazing though

post-2849-12673007548017_thumb.jpg Campsies

post-2849-12673007621417_thumb.jpg Ochils

post-2849-12673007810517_thumb.jpg Ochils again, but with snow in my garden.

Wee girl now home and recovering well. Snow melted quite a bit today after this mornings barrage of white fluffy stuff, but view out the back still amazing though

post-2849-12673007548017_thumb.jpg Campsies

post-2849-12673007621417_thumb.jpg Ochils

post-2849-12673007810517_thumb.jpg Ochils again, but with snow in my garden.

Glad to hear the wee one is on the mend :D

Cracking pics, nice view :) :)

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Glad to hear the wee one is on the mend :D

Cracking pics, nice view :) :)

Thanks. 4th time now since November, but at least we caught it early this time.

Seen a few of yours earlier, you might need a new shovel as this years one worn out. :)

Edited by Cheggers

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Here are a couple of pics of the Big Innes area, which I took at about lunch time today while out in the car.

Big Innes

post-9026-12673042555717_thumb.jpg

post-9026-12673046462517_thumb.jpg

post-9026-12673049519617_thumb.jpg

post-9026-12673051327417_thumb.jpg

Posted

The track of the jetstream has been the main driver in this IMO, as this has allowed the cold air from northern latitudes to move southwards. This is why the AO has been so negative - even if the blocking has not been favourably placed all the time for cold, snowy weather across the UK, most at our latitude and even about 10 degrees south of it were experiencing freezing cold weather when they might be expecting milder and wetter weather, and conversely Greenland has been warmer than average because most of the time it has just been under high pressure when usually the polar vortex is located there. http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2010/Rrea00120100102.gif http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2010/Rrea00120100120.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2010/Rrea00120100131.gif http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2009/Rrea00120091222.gif

Note in every chart a major block of around 1040 accompanied by green/yellow heights is present. Bog standard winter charts http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2006/Rrea00120061221.gif http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2007/Rrea00120070119.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2005/Rrea00120050119.gif http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1998/Rrea00119980219.gif

Blues to the north, yellows to the south. The 80s, late 70s and 60s - more like this - http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1986/Rrea00119860219.gif

Generally lows tracking south of the UK. http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1979/Rrea00119790119.gif

Typical upper profile for very +AO http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2006/Rrea00220061224.gif

-AO http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2009/Rrea00220091222.gif

Thanks for the reply been picking out turnips frozen into the ground with my son all afternoon for the cattle inside as the store lifted at the end of November is almost finished. The 64000 dollar question is why did the jetstream move so far south and more or less stay there , or is it just a random movement and is this the begining of a colder run of summers and winters?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Just had a rather unexpected snow shower here. Not surprisingly it didn't lie as temps 2.1C. just back from NW Perthshire where plenty lying though. Got to go back tomorrow so will try the high road from Crieff to Aberfeldy and take the camera. power off again for hours up there again today so hope it is properly fixed now.

Posted

There is probably some truth in the comment that the bonus part of the pay is to avoid having to pay extra pension contributions and is actually a way of saving money :)

Not such an issue with that, it's the new super PC they have bought, supposed to improve accuracy to a degree, and at £30 million plus power, they could have saved a fortune and bought a NetWeather Sub. :)

Posted

Just had a rather unexpected snow shower here. Not surprisingly it didn't lie as temps 2.1C. just back from NW Perthshire where plenty lying though. Got to go back tomorrow so will try the high road from Crieff to Aberfeldy and take the camera. power off again for hours up there again today so hope it is properly fixed now.

Have to add that we have just had one as well which has settled as skies earlier were clear and temperature had fallen to -1c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Looking at the charts finally looking like the fabled Easterly may be on towards the end of the week. [see model thread for last few months]. If correct would maybe round off an interesting winter.

Thoughts?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

According to the meto, bathgate will be nice tomorrow. Lucky them.biggrin.gif

Sunday:

A fine day with bright or sunny intervals, best of sunshine in Bathgate. Becoming cloudier across the south of the area in the afternoon with snow flurries. Northeasterly winds freshening.. Maximum temperature 5 °C.

Posted

Winter looks reluctant to lose its grip over the next week with mainly cold conditions continuing. GFS ensembles still remain cold with the mean 850's around or below -5c throughout.

t850East~Dunbartonshire.png

A little low runs across Scotland in the middle of the week with conditions probably the wrong side of marginal for snow on low ground in most parts but on its back edge it again starts to pull in colder conditions for later in the week and after this a more easterly influence looks possible although the high still looks a bit close to to our north west for anything really potent. Ideally it would be nice to see this trend a bit further north and west.

I like the fax chart for Thursday.

PPVO89.png

Not such an issue with that, it's the new super PC they have bought, supposed to improve accuracy to a degree, and at £30 million plus power, they could have saved a fortune and bought a NetWeather Sub. :rofl:

:lol:

Either that or I could have lent them the family's old BBC B micro :good::rofl: Just £10,000 a month rental and equal results to their super'puter.

According to the meto, bathgate will be nice tomorrow. Lucky them.biggrin.gif

Sunday:

A fine day with bright or sunny intervals, best of sunshine in Bathgate. Becoming cloudier across the south of the area in the afternoon with snow flurries. Northeasterly winds freshening.. Maximum temperature 5 °C.

At least that's something for them to look forward to :shok: :lol:

A little low runs across Scotland in the middle of the week with conditions probably the wrong side of marginal for snow on low ground in most parts but on its back edge it again starts to pull in colder conditions for later in the week and after this a more easterly influence looks possible although the high still looks a bit close to to our north west for anything really potent. Ideally it would be nice to see this trend a bit further north and west.

I like the fax chart for Thursday.

It's looking not bad for even moderately higher ground; GFS going for snow for me on Tuesday, even Glasgow is forecast snow then rain.

Whatever happens it is certainly not going to be warm any time soon. The ensembles look fairly solid until about the 5th/6th of March :)

Fifers!! Wake up. What is that precip over Fife falling as?? :good::rofl: Quite a line of showers moving in. It looks as if the not often seen Tay - Clyde streamer may be on the way :shok:

Posted

Fifers!! Wake up. What is that precip over Fife falling as?? smile.gifsmile.gif Quite a line of showers moving in. It looks as if the not often seen Tay - Clyde streamer may be on the way good.gif

Wet snow here. A little on the grass and my car. Better than nothing. Anyone with some hieght will be whaite again !!

Posted

1C and avery slow thaw continues. Still plenty of lying snow.

Potential for more showers later this week......

Read Blizzardo's post and checked the ensembles for this area.

FI during the rest of March looks bitter with -15C's. Wonder if it will come off?

post-2738-12673448471317_thumb.txt

Wet snow here. A little on the grass and my car. Better than nothing. Anyone with some hieght will be whaite again !!

It's amazing in Scotland what just a wee bit of height and a few more miles inland can do. Any more showers now or do you think it has passed you?

Edit: Band of precip is sinking south rather than streaming west I think (?)

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

It's amazing in Scotland what just a wee bit of height and a few more miles inland can do. Any more showers now or do you think it has passed you?

Edit: Band of precip is sinking south rather than streaming west I think (?)

Still something blowing in the wind, but light now. I agree its going south. Slight clearance north of Dundee. Even the low hills are white. Will update if more sleet/wet snow follows.

Later in the week has potential, but may well be that the HP spoils the fun for us in the north ???

Still something blowing in the wind, but light now. I agree its going south. Slight clearance north of Dundee. Even the low hills are white. Will update if more sleet/wet snow follows.

Later in the week has potential, but may well be that the HP spoils the fun for us in the north ???

Relative to Dundee where is Monifieth??

Posted

Relative to Dundee where is Monifieth??

5 miles east.

Edited by Snowplough33

Posted

Just rain here on the coast, I'm afraid. 2.8c.

5 miles east.

I am having a peak on Google Earth, you're really coastal there. Not that you need reminding :shok:

My Grandad is from Dundee although none of the family live there now. My mum lived there for a while when she was wee, but not long.