Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

I am having a peak on Google Earth, you're really coastal there. Not that you need reminding mellow.gif

My Grandad is from Dundee although none of the family live there now. My mum lived there for a while when she was wee, but not long.

Yeh, luckily I am outside Monifieth as you head North. This moves me few miles from the direct coast and gives me a little hieght. Amazing the differance as between the beach and here at times. Still I wish my house was nearer Gairngorm!! I saw pictures yesterday from Aviemore mid week. Our friends were waist deep in snow. That was level snow not drifrts. Will try and get the picts.

Yeh, luckily I am outside Monifieth as you head North. This moves me few miles from the direct coast and gives me a little hieght. Amazing the differance as between the beach and here at times. Still I wish my house was nearer Gairngorm!! I saw pictures yesterday from Aviemore mid week. Our friends were waist deep in snow. That was level snow not drifrts. Will try and get the picts.

I look forward to those pics!!

Something I have realised recently (depsite the bumper snow we've had here) is that I need to move up north to somewhere that really does get proper snow (2ft deep or more!). I need to feed my snow addiction...

I have also realised that I'm immensely greedy and self-centred when it comes to most things, especially snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Just had a Vic and Bob snow shower at 9 o'clock (wouldn't let it lie......). :clap:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Sleeting away here in Leith, plenty visible flakes in the mix. Higher ground/inland parts must be likely to replenish the Friday night/Saturday AM falls.

Sleeting away here in Leith, plenty visible flakes in the mix. Higher ground/inland parts must be likely to replenish the Friday night/Saturday AM falls.

Morning By-Tor :clap:

Some of the traffic cams seem to be showing snow and the weather type radar has the narrow band of precip turning wintry as it moves inland. Parts of southern and eastern Scotland could get a covering from this.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

Fifers!! Wake up. What is that precip over Fife falling as?? smile.gifsmile.gif Quite a line of showers moving in. It looks as if the not often seen Tay - Clyde streamer may be on the way good.gif

Aye, aye right Catch, we are getting up lazy.gif

Jist a wee Sunday mornin lie- in blum.gif

oops.gif Sorry NL, fermurs nivur get a lie-in.

Snowed again here before I went tae bed last night, giving another new although slight covering on the cleared roads.

Expected to get up to the forcasted nice calm mostly sunny day, which i'm sure the BEEB were showing for these partscc_confused.gif

Well done tae the BEEBwhistling.gif

Currently bits and pieces of light smaw falling (not amounting to much) Sun at times peering through a very cloudy sky and again the wind is blowing quite hard cold.gif

Edit: I take it the BBC have been preoccupied with THE STORM for the south dry.gif

Admittedley an interesting track which the storm has taken hitting Portugal, Spain, France and the South of Engurlund, then along the low countries biggrin.gif

These Bad Boys usually have Scotland written all over them, so nice tae see them go elswhere fur a change clap.gif

Big Innes

Edited by Big Innes Madori

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Steady snowfall for over an hour here now - brief moments of it getting quite heavy then easing off again.

Passing South West by the look of radar -should be some decent falls for the Borders within the hour.

Posted

So, ok the skies are cloudy but it is dry, a nice drying breeze and the sun is peeking through. I think hmm, lets put some washing out to dry.... I kid you not, I hang up a sock & 2 tea towels and the heavens open with hail. The sun was still shining I might add, to add insult to injury.

Edited by LadyPakal

So, ok the skies are cloudy but it is dry, a nice drying breeze and the sun is peeking through. I think hmm, lets put some washing out to dry.... I kid you not, I hang up a sock & 2 tea towels and the heavens open with hail. The sun was still shining I might add, to add insult to injury.

Outside drying? In February? What were you thinking? (:))

Heavy Snow in Penicuik !!!

Nice one :)

Posted

Steady snowfall for over an hour here now - brief moments of it getting quite heavy then easing off again.

Passing South West by the look of radar -should be some decent falls for the Borders within the hour.

not sure about snow looking at the radar it look more like rain and sleetwhistling.gif

Aye, aye right Catch, we are getting up lazy.gif

Jist a wee Sunday mornin lie- in blum.gif

oops.gif Sorry NL, fermurs nivur get a lie-in.

Big Innes

:)

Us parents with wee ones don't get much of a lie in either. Not too bad today at 6.45am. That's quite civil. Although as you say B.I.M. it's the fermurs like NL who have to get up at stupid o'clock. At least when one of the bubbies gets us parents up during the night we're back to bed within 5 minutes (usually) :phew:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Outside drying? In February? What were you thinking? (:))

How did they manage before tumble dryers? My neighbours have been outside drying all winter - thought I'd give it a go. Obviously there is a knack to it.... :)

Edited by LadyPakal

How did they manage before tumble dryers? My neighbours have been outside drying all winter - thought I'd give it a go. Obviously there is a knack to it.... :)

Before they had washing machines it was a whole day washing the clothes and then two days to dry it in the house. So my Dad tells me anyway!

We don't know we're born these days. Although you can't beat summer for line dried clothes, especially bedding :) I am such a woman at time.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

How did they manage before tumble dryers? My neighbours have been outside drying all winter - thought I'd give it a go. Obviously there is a knack to it.... dry.gif

Hi Lady P,

I can remember my old gran having a (pully) which was suspended from the kitchen ceiling and they lowered it to hang the clothes over the ropes and then pulled it up above head height good.gif

I think that everything that they wore the next day would smell of mince n' tatties though dry.gif

Big Innes

Posted

Before they had washing machines it was a whole day washing the clothes and then two days to dry it in the house. So my Dad tells me anyway!

We don't know we're born these days. Although you can't beat summer for line dried clothes, especially bedding :help: I am such a woman at time.

The only problem with line drying is that the birds seem to make a beeline for it for toileting purposes (well, the gulls anyway) and then you have to wash it again!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Mornin'. The band of rain turned out to be sleet and snow (my bad!) which gave a slight covering overnight in Freuchie but as I was staying at a friend's house in Newburgh I missed it! Still, on the way back from the 30 Seconds to Mars Concert in Glasgow there was heavy snow from Harthill back to the Forth Bridge - there was still a lot of snow on the ground at Harthill services. I'm just off to check the charts and see what lies after this band clears, leaving a slack northerly flow and crisp sunshine.

Posted

The only problem with line drying is that the birds seem to make a beeline for it for toileting purposes (well, the gulls anyway) and then you have to wash it again!

Same here, although we seem to have the cast from Steven Kings "The Birds" Will get a picture one day, as I'm sure there watching us. :)

Not sure of the Temp here as my wee outside sensor has packed in unless there is a number like "--.-" :)

Had some beefy snow showers now for the last hour or so. Up in Cumbernauld blowing a hoolie as well.

Posted

What looks like a moderate snow shower approaching us from the east just now,frosty in the shade shade and currently 3c. Managed to hand lift another load of turnips this morning out of the partially frozen ground a fun job!!!!

Posted

What looks like a moderate snow shower approaching us from the east just now,frosty in the shade shade and currently 3c. Managed to hand lift another load of turnips this morning out of the partially frozen ground a fun job!!!!

Snowing again here, very surprised, was expecting a calm frosty weekend.

Farmer out back of us in similar boat, his sister delivers our milk, and they were saying they were starting to run low on feed, and the ground is just perma frost

We don't really get gulls here, well not unless they are soaring overhead. I know what you mean about the bird poo though. Really annoying if the duvet cover cops it :) and you don't have a spare clean.

Light snow here which is nice.

Posted

Took a spin inland about 8 miles to visit Snowmageddon land late this afternoon. Not all roads open yet. Here are a couple of photos the last one showing another snow shower coming in off the Firth. Currently 0c and a fresh dusting from the showers earlier ,everything getting crunchy.post-2744-12673815560217_thumb.jpgpost-2744-12673815753017_thumb.jpgpost-2744-12673816010817_thumb.jpgpost-2744-12673816226117_thumb.jpg