Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion

Quite warm overnight; -2C under cloud. Another snow day so that's 9 consecutive days now. The council cleared the pavements close to the school yesterday. We can now walk on the pavement all the way to school instead of having to zig-zig down the road. Although that doesn't mean to say the pavements are clear of snow/ice; just that they are passable :lol: I think all the frost we had before the snow came has helped to preserve the snow on the ground. The top inch or two does soften up a little by late afternoon, but it is freezing up again every night. At this rate it will take a long time for the snow to clear. Latest GFS has almost no precip until mid-March. And then goes for more snow. At this rate we'll beat winter's 25+ consecutive snow days :lol:

Posted

Currently -9c so all windows iced up but when the temperature dives like this it is often the prelude to warmer temperatures as hinted at by the forecast. I still think it will be a very slow warm up with a frozen soil where bare, vast amounts of snow higher up and the coldness of the sea now working in favour of keeping it cool.It would 2 weeks of warm drying wind to get any proper signs of spring growth.

Over Balloch way and Paisley today, lots of snow still around in Balloch, and all the elevated area's look pristine, will upload a few pictures later, non from Lomond side though as the mist to thick. :lol: Max temp over that way today was around 3, so staying very cold in the snowy areas as it was 7 in Paisley. Currently 2.8C here and dropping fast again.

Ah, sunny Paisley. We were at the RAH yesterday too, check up for MrsCatch and BumpCatch :lol: I see there are still patches at the RAH so they must have had at least some snow to start with.

Posted

Morning Catch. Yes a little, pond out the back by the canteen was well frozen as well, so the resident Swans not too happy I suspect.

Hope all is well with MrsCatch and the Bump?

Morning Catch. Yes a little, pond out the back by the canteen was well frozen as well, so the resident Swans not too happy I suspect.

Hope all is well with MrsCatch and the Bump?

Baby is fine (thanks for asking), MrsCatch hobbling about as her pubic bone has seperated slightly :rolleyes: (How is GirlCheggers getting on? :unsure:)

I forgot about the canteen at the RAH, it's quite a surprise when you go down there and the pond and the wee green space is there.

Some snow photos:

Tuesday (2nd March):

post-2844-12677016485155_thumb.jpg

Look at the foot prints and pram tracks on the snow. This snow is several inches deep yet rock hard:

post-2844-12677017034555_thumb.jpg

Footprints frozen in the snow, I am a bit worried about the three legged dog:

post-2844-12677017743355_thumb.jpgpost-2844-12677019335055_thumb.jpg

Snow on a low wall, then me standing on top of the snow on the low wall :rolleyes:

post-2844-12677018211355_thumb.jpgpost-2844-12677018642655_thumb.jpg

Some idea of the depth of snow/ice:

post-2844-12677018980255_thumb.jpgpost-2844-12677019746055_thumb.jpg

From my middle finger tip to my wrist is about 7-8 inches and my finger tip was not quite on the ground.

Tuesday (2nd March):

The new method of marking parking bays:

post-2844-12677021386055_thumb.jpg

Slushy pavements? No. It's solid ice (still frozen solid this morning) and has been for almost a week now:

post-2844-12677021978955_thumb.jpg

Wednesday (3rd March):

Side roads are clear where used but snowy otherwise:

post-2844-12677023825755_thumb.jpgpost-2844-12677022587855_thumb.jpg

Gardens still full of snow:

post-2844-12677024521655_thumb.jpg

Thursday (4th March):

No real change from previously, one of the lane outside the flat and just a couple of more open space photos to show that the snow is not just patches in the shade. The final photo is the local park and has had sun on it for days now, not to mention 12 hours of rain:

post-2844-12677025593555_thumb.jpgpost-2844-12677025794355_thumb.jpgpost-2844-12677026067355_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Good morning, Scotskis. How the devil are you all? :rolleyes::D :unsure: :D

Good morning, Scotskis. How the devil are you all? :D;);):rofl:

Not bad Pete, how's tricks with you?? Are you in Inverness or down the road??

As you can see from the photos a wee bit snowy still, but the sun does seem to be blazing holes in the snow in the garden. I can see green stuff (whatever that is) where the kids disturbed the snow pack. No panic yet as the grass is still 99% covered.

Posted

Good morning, Scotskis. How the devil are you all? ;):rofl:;):D

Good day Mr Tattum! Trust you are well and enjoying the milder weather down south?;)

Light snow shower drifting in from the northwest. Still 6 inches of snow on the ground - 9 consecutive days now.

Edited by Gilly

Posted

Some snow photos:

Footprints frozen in the snow, I am a bit worried about the three legged dog:

post-2844-12677017743355_thumb.jpgpost-2844-12677019335055_thumb.jpg

You've failed your NW bushcraft skills course, that is a rabbit track not a dog!

You've failed your NW bushcraft skills course, that is a rabbit track not a dog!

If that's a rabbit it's the biggest rabbit in the world!! The pic with my hand in the snow is in one of the tracks, the front and back holes are about 12-18 inches apart with the snow in between completely undisturbed. The sets of holes are a good few feet apart too.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

If that's a rabbit it's the biggest rabbit in the world!! The pic with my hand in the snow is in one of the tracks, the front and back holes are about 12-18 inches apart with the snow in between completely undisturbed. The sets of holes are a good few feet apart too.

Yeah now that a look more closely you're right, sorry about that!

Yeah now that a look more closely you're right, sorry about that!

No need for apologies, I should have smilied up my post :D

Maybe it is a rabbit though. We could be onto the "Kilmacolm 3-Legged Rabbit Monster". Footprints first photographed in February 2010 and identified in early March 2010. Buy your exclusive T-shirt here. I think if we share the royalties 45-45 and give 10% to charity...:rofl:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Baby is fine (thanks for asking), MrsCatch hobbling about as her pubic bone has seperated slightly :) (How is GirlCheggers getting on? :))

I forgot about the canteen at the RAH, it's quite a surprise when you go down there and the pond and the wee green space is there.

Girl doing fine now, she is on an inhaler for the next 4 months to try and get her lungs back to normal after her bout of pneumonia and bronchiolitis over the festive period.

Tell Mrs Catch that Mrs Cheegers can sympathies there.....ouch!

Pond at RAH is a cracking place in the summer, if the swans are busy else where that is. :lol:

Another cracking day in the Weeg, wall to wall sunshine for the most part, am home now, still a fair bit of snow and temp of 4C but feeling decidedly pleasant.

Traffic update....M9 a mess, 3 car pile up near Newbridge, traffic clogged up everywhere, mate Jnc 3 to 2, M9 North, Newbridge and all approaches, might be a while before cleared.

http://news.national...411_rabbit.html

Monster Rabbit Stalks U.K. Village (But No Sign of Wallace or Gromit)

Wow, brings a whole new meaning to "Thumper" :)

Posted

Cheggers, they're lovely pics - I too was looking out at a beautiful pink sky over the grampians as I started work this evening. which promted me to look at the charts for the first time in a few days.

We still have the same ice packed, still beautifully white, snow cover about 12cm's in untouched places... although temps have reached 5-7 degrees in the middle of the afternoon (-7to -9 at night time) there has been no thaw.. think Lomond said that was because of the relatve humidity being low, which I notice has fallen to about 45-50% at the peak temperature time the last couple of days..

anyway I *think* I just heard a bit of snow fall off the roof! so NorthernLights your "forecast" could be correct, i.e. the lower plunges appear to have heralded the warmer temps? it's now +3c with a DP +0.6c (RH 85%) so it seems things are a changing! and I see the charts are heralding some rain

It seems like months that it hasn't been anything other than white outside (well it technically has) we've had constant snowcover since December 17th, albeit 1 day was very minimal! and I'm a-ready for some spring now please :lol: - If I could take pics, then they would look pretty much like Catch's some little used roads are still completely white as th fine cover has remained frozen since last week, and some places are really deep but rock solid!

Posted

since December 17th, albeit 1 day was very minimal! and I'm a-ready for some spring now please :) - If I could take pics, then they would look pretty much like Catch's some little used roads are still completely white as th fine cover has remained frozen since last week, and some places are really deep but rock solid!

Not quite as white as that, back garden pretty much still covered, as is the farm road up the back of us, but we did have the 3 week spell late Jan early Feb with nothing, just frozen ground, but can still say around 40 Days of snow cover since mid December.

Must admit that when I first moved up here my first winter I experienced -11 standing at Uphall station, and thought I would not see that again, but behold the winter of 2009/2010 and twice I think we hit -13... :lol:

Must admit that when I first moved up here my first winter I experienced -11 standing at Uphall station, and thought I would not see that again, but behold the winter of 2009/2010 and twice I think we hit -13... :cold:

That's one disappointment about this winter. No record low temps and no record snowfalls here. Simply a grinder of a cold winter that has gone on and on and on. In reality even 95/96 had more severe winter weather than this winter.

Posted

post-2849-12677362282555_thumb.jpg

post-2849-12677362363055_thumb.jpg

This evening sunset over towards the Campsies

What a beautiful sky Cheggars.........gorgeous. We get lovely sunsets up here very regularly and i must go out and take some pics.

I'm a-ready for some spring now please :)

Aye, it's starting to get a little long winded this winter. At least we had a break down here between the Dec/Jan cold spell and this cold spell. I'm developing RSI from pushing a pram down bumpy icy pavements and my ankles are wrecked. MrsCatch can't go out unless she gets a lift as there's no way she can hobble about on crutches on snow/ice. Some people in our village think I've murdered her as they haven't seen her for so long :yahoo: