Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

General Storm Discussion Thread

dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/stormy

Checking out the radar today its the secound time in a row Paris has spawned a storm... This time it is east paris it started at and not west, but not much further. The ferries won't be running later...

Posted

Anyone in bourmouth able to confirm any lightning/thunder?

Is it stormy out to sea? seeing as there has been a stike in the middle of the Solent...

It could spawn another storm that would go along the south coast if it reaches land in the uk.

Edited by Vortex_Liam

Posted

B) I want a STORM.........

Posted

B) I want a STORM.........

There you go Liam - It's about 33 days ago but thats the best I can do at the moment.

If it's any consolation I have not heard Thunder in the Uk since Nov 14th 2009.

Why do you think the guys off this Forum come Storm Chasing in the USA = Answer is they will see more Lightning in 1 Storm than they will see in 20 years in the Uk.

No Chance of anything on the Horizon yet

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

That shower that came up last night was very heavy where I was but according to a friend of mine there was a couple of rumbles with it but not close rumbles B).

Posted

i must say stormyking i didnt hear any rumbles. according to reports of lightning in the solent there was definatly no lightning this morning quite the opposit its baking down here!! lol

Edited by r6 steve

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Maybe that lightning in the solent was where he heard the thunder, thing is though i didnt even know it had been raining and looke doutside and it was very wet and I asked my friend if its been raining heavy and he said it was hammering it down. I also asked him if I missed any thunder and he said only a couple of rumbles but they wasn't close.

Here we have a bit a cumulus clouds about but yeh it does go hot when the sun comes out i know what you mean B).

Posted

still nothing exciting down here we used to get loads of storms down here mostly coming up with the spanish plume which im

guessing we will probably never see again.

I doubt nothing much is gonna happen down here anytime soon!!! sigh lol

Posted

Hi everyone dont post here that often ,but the lack of thunderstorms now is really baffling me, can anyone really explain why they are so rare now? Whats changed so much in the last 10-20 years, we would get about 10 thunder days per year and a least 2 or 3 nighttime displays with that as well almost every year for certain, now we might get 2 or 3 per whole year and thats if you are lucky. We have had one weak nightime storm and it now july ! Normally we would have has about 4 or 5 storms by now, in the eighties when it became humid a storm was inevitable, does not seem to work like that now , WHY ?? I want my storm fix ! I have a feeling 2010 will be thunderless from now on. and the same next year. could the air be heavier due to more co2 (less lift) just a thought.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

its still looking like hot and humid middle of next week for SE england with a chance of some thunderstorms at some point :)

Posted

what about the chances or should i say lack of chances for the solent region? apart from a nice little suprise at the end of march

we have been storm starved!! maybe we should start calling the solent the wash and hope something happens? lol:whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

what about the chances or should i say lack of chances for the solent region? apart from a nice little suprise at the end of march

we have been storm starved!! maybe we should start calling the solent the wash and hope something happens? lol:whistling:

summer 2006 in the south , for my patch there was not any storms until mid july and then many followed through the weeks at least one thundery outbreak or storm a week ,even september there were storms and thundery downpours and at night to , before that it was hot and dry with brown grass and low rivers , so i wont give up hope of thunderstorms just yet :)

summer 2010 so far reminds me of 2006 (se england)

Posted

Think possitive... By the way it is clouding over and still humid looks like it will rain. Last time it was like this it was thundery ,back in july 2009.

Oh also check out the lightning at 52n 15w

Edited by Vortex_Liam

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Well....for the first time, I actually decided to head to Dymchurch...the first time I bother, nothing arrives.

Didn't even see a distant flash or flicker from the continent....very disappointed. Though, just kipped over in the caravan and headed back today. Was still VERY humid down there this morning, stood outside chatting for 5 mins and was sweating profusely. Happy to arrive back home with the humidity down a peg or two, but it is still quite a humid 28C today - higher than the 25-27C forecast (27 being the uncharted number on the map).

Nazaneen on the SE forecast last night said, "same old story I'm afraid, more high pressure and more warm, sunny weather to come"..."I'm afraid" relating to the lack of rain obviously...outside resembles Spain/Portugal - very dusty and very yellow...not complaining though, love it :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Think possitive... By the way it is clouding over and still humid looks like it will rain. Last time it was like this it was thundery ,back in july 2009.

Oh also check out the lightning at 52n 15w

Some really desperate posts creeping into this thread.....lol.......You're not going to see a thunderstorm today..no energy, no lift, very poor lapse rates.....not a lot going for it, I'm afraid

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted

summer 2006 in the south , for my patch there was not any storms until mid july and then many followed through the weeks at least one thundery outbreak or storm a week ,even september there were storms and thundery downpours and at night to , before that it was hot and dry with brown grass and low rivers , so i wont give up hope of thunderstorms just yet :drinks:

summer 2010 so far reminds me of 2006 (se england)

I have to agree with you there, this does remind me a little of 2006 which had a very hot summer. We haven't quite got to the same temperature values as 2006 yet (32+C) but there is still plenty of summer left to acheive this. Don't forget, the 19 July 2006 recorded the hottest ever July daytime temperature of 36C in Wisley (Surrey).

Edit: the number 6 has a lot to do with the weather for this location. The 6th August 2008 saw an impressive lightning display, similarly we have a decent amount of snowfall on 6th April 2008. The only thunderstorm (albeit weak) at this location this year? The 6th June :lol:

6th July anyone? :whistling:

Edited by staplehurst

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Apart from the risk of post-frontal showers during tommorow, I don't see any real storm chances.

Posted

Apart from the risk of post-frontal showers during tommorow, I don't see any real storm chances.

Agreed...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

I have to agree with you there, this does remind me a little of 2006 which had a very hot summer. We haven't quite got to the same temperature values as 2006 yet (32+C) but there is still plenty of summer left to acheive this. Don't forget, the 19 July 2006 recorded the hottest ever July daytime temperature of 36C in Wisley (Surrey).

Edit: the number 6 has a lot to do with the weather for this location. The 6th August 2008 saw an impressive lightning display, similarly we have a decent amount of snowfall on 6th April 2008. The only thunderstorm (albeit weak) at this location this year? The 6th June :D

6th July anyone? :D

How about the 6th January 2010 and the heavy snowfalls and lesser snowfalls on the 6th February 2009? I've experienced impressive weather on various '6th's' too. :)

I agree that this summer is like 2006 and also think the hottest weather is still to come.

There was talk of the dreaded 'Atlantic' taking over for the first week of July and goodbye to the summer (and probably no chances of cool weather showers or thunderstorms in the S.E. / central southern areas - as we always miss out in this situation unless the air is VERY unstable and the showers are in the right area). Our only chance seems to be when the synoptic set up leads to a cool NWly via troughs in the isobars such as happened regulary in the summer of 2001.

Now this westerly / SWly influence is affecting northern areas where it is unsettled while the south continues with this lovely summer sunshine. The dry conditions are enjoyable but a thunderstorm or two FOR EVERYBODY would be most welcome - perhaps like the regieme in July 2006, July 2003, July 1999 or (for those who can remember) the glorious July's of 1983 and 1984.

Here's hoping we may get a 1980's style 'surprise' next week sometime! :)

Posted

How about the 6th January 2010 and the heavy snowfalls and lesser snowfalls on the 6th February 2009? I've experienced impressive weather on various '6th's' too. :D

I agree that this summer is like 2006 and also think the hottest weather is still to come.

There was talk of the dreaded 'Atlantic' taking over for the first week of July and goodbye to the summer (and probably no chances of cool weather showers or thunderstorms in the S.E. / central southern areas - as we always miss out in this situation unless the air is VERY unstable and the showers are in the right area). Our only chance seems to be when the synoptic set up leads to a cool NWly via troughs in the isobars such as happened regulary in the summer of 2001.

Now this westerly / SWly influence is affecting northern areas where it is unsettled while the south continues with this lovely summer sunshine. The dry conditions are enjoyable but a thunderstorm or two FOR EVERYBODY would be most welcome - perhaps like the regieme in July 2006, July 2003, July 1999 or (for those who can remember) the glorious July's of 1983 and 1984.

Here's hoping we may get a 1980's style 'surprise' next week sometime! :)

ah good, I'm not the only one to spot this interesting trend! All eyes on Tuesday night then :D

Posted

All eyes on Tuesday night then :)

MU_London_avn.png

MU_Manchester_avn.png

:D

Posted

Well, I rember back in 2006 there was a storm that appered from nowhere it started raining and bang the light show started...

Posted

Not sure as i'm not there but apparently there's a storm in Dumbarton Currently and it's starting to get quite dark here too.................

Posted

Yep, some storms about according to the radar. One approaching the west of Edinburgh now although not heard any thunder yet.