Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

August CET

Posted

Our coldest August was 11.4C in 1986 followed by a equally rubbish September.

Here's a classic example of where temperature alone does not quite reveal the true story. September 1986 was very cool, however it was also dry and fairly sunny, so September 1986 isn't quite as rubbish as you may think. Overall, it was better than the August.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

That's remarkably low, Pit, what were your mean max' and min' for that month?

The mean here was 11.8c ( mean max' 14.8c, mean min', 8.9c ) I thought we'd have been colder than you.

With regard to this August my guess of 15.9c is looking to be the closest I've managed in a long time.

Mean max 13.4C mean min 9.4C maybe something to do with 103.8 mm of rain as well. No overall change for us average wise double figure mins preventing a drop so we're still at 15.1C.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Here's a classic example of where temperature alone does not quite reveal the true story. September 1986 was very cool, however it was also dry and fairly sunny, so September 1986 isn't quite as rubbish as you may think. Overall, it was better than the August.

I was thinking that myself, dominant HP in the Atlantic/Greenland/Overhead area can give us lovely sunny weather with certainly warm in the sunshine days but cold nights. This reduces average daily temp readings quite a bit, but without giving other indications a look at, one would assume by the CET figure alone it was bad.

Posted
Posted (edited) · Hidden by reef, August 29, 2010 - Enough already
Hidden by reef, August 29, 2010 - Enough already

Average temperature now 13.7C (in buxton of course), one of the mildest winter months I've seen.

Edited by RichardR
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Mean max 13.4C mean min 9.4C maybe something to do with 103.8 mm of rain as well. No overall change for us average wise double figure mins preventing a drop so we're still at 15.1C.

Are you sure that mean max' is correct, Pit? High Bradfield at almost ( 390 mts ) 1300' on the moors to the west of Sheffield had a mean max' of 13.6c that month and a station at 160 mts, nearer the city, recorded a mean max' of 17.3c and a mean min' of 9.4c.

Posted

August 1986 was the coldest (mean 13.3C) in my 29 years of records by far. The mean max was 16.5C and mean min 10.1C. The mean minima seems out of this world these days as we've only had single day in August in the last five years with a single figure min, so getting a monthly mean min not far from 10C shows how unusual it was, even then.

Posted

August 1986 figures really put this month into perspective. Mean for here will be around 12.5c this month. But with mean max over 16c its been pleasent, but mean maxs of 13c in a wet month that must dire for a summer month. Well for everyone apart from TM.

Posted

Yes very true, although that happens less often in the summer months. From my recollection one of the few cool summer months of recent times that was also reasonably dry and fairly sunny was August 1993.

I remember the September of 1986 well. Lots of dry, sunny, but cool weather, with many cold nights and even frosts at times. It would be great to see a September like it again. The positioning of the high pressure was the key to that month's weather. It was often centered in the Greenland region with the ridge extending across the UK, which allowed air in its circulation to be of polar origin, instead of it being over Europe allowing tropical air in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Dry and sunny but cool "high summer" (July/August) months are relatively rare, mainly due to the default jet configuration- the main players are the Azores High and Atlantic lows to the north, meaning a strong association between low temperatures and a strong southerly tracking jet bringing rain and large amounts of cloud. It is more common in May (as happened in many places this year) and also June.

However it is certainly not unknown. Many northern and western districts were dry and sunny but fairly cool in July & August 1977. Many places also had a very recent example in August 2007, which had a lot in common with August 1993 but not quite as cool.

Posted

Looks like some pretty low mins in the CET area (4.2C at Pershore). At Prestwick it reached 2.7C, quite extraordinary for here in late August.

Should correct the above, 4.2C was the hourly minimum. In Another Place the minimum for the whole night is given as 3.6C !

Posted

Buxton's average running at 13.5°C now, the high is 16.8 and the low is 10.2, I posted it already but someone deleted it.

Posted

Hadley now at 15.7C up to 29th.

Should continue on it's way down the next few days as well.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Hadley now at 15.7C up to 29th.

Should continue on it's way down the next few days as well.

Until tomorrow anyway.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Should finish at 15.4C before ajustments, so the coolest August in 17 years since 1993.

Posted

Given how relatively cool it has been I don't feel the cet does the tempreature justice atm doesn't seem to be a coleration at all. A rather big adjustment I'de say.

Posted

It's quite surprising really that the average for here is just 13.8c, this would suggest quite a wet cloudy month, however it's been quite a sunny month on the whole. Today for example, the max temperature was 15.c, despite it been sunny and dry with little cloud cover and no wind, a good 5.c below average.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Tomorrow could be at 15.5C if the max stays below 17.5C today. There's a chance we won't quite make 15.4C before corrections though as the maxima seem like they could be close to 20C on the 31st.

Edited by NaDamantaSam

Posted

Tomorrow could be at 15.5C if the max stays below 17.5C today. There's a chance we won't quite make 15.4C before corrections though as the maxima seem like they could be close to 20C on the 31st.

Well we hit 17.2C so reckon some 18C to 20C in the CET area. We're now looking at night time temps.

Posted

Cold again last night todays temps should be around 17-20 in the CET zone. Another cold one tonight which will count towards September.

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

Dry and sunny but cool "high summer" (July/August) months are relatively rare, mainly due to the default jet configuration-

I believe its more common in places with a cool continental temperate climate like northeast China, Siberia and Canada were a southerly tracking jet can allow the cool Siberian high to build even in summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

15.5 (15.55) to the 30th

http://hadobs.metoffice.com/hadcet/cet_info_mean.html

Yesterday was 12.3C. Minimum for today is 5.7C, the lowest since May 28th! Maxima today looks like being around over 19C, so it's gonna be very close as to whether we make 15.4C or not before corrections.

Right now I'd say 15.2 after corrections looks best but it's most somewhere from 15.1C to 15.3C methinks.

Posted

I am confident that we will see 15.4C before ajustments. Pleased with my 15.0C prediction, very close to the ajusted figure.

Posted

Well we clocked in at 14.9C for September with 76% of rainfall.

I think I need to do a bit of editing for my CET guess miles off.