Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

August CET

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

16.0C to the 24th.

http://hadobs.metoffice.com/hadcet/cet_info_mean.html

Yesterday was 14.0C, making it the coolest day since June 20th. Minimum for today is 9.3C (coolest since July 6th) and maxes look like being between 16.5 and 17.5C so tomorrow looks like being in the low 13s so a drop to 15.9C very likely. It might hold steady the next day thanks to high mins but the drop should continue after that. 15.8C by the 27th, 15.6C by the 29th and either 15.5 or 15.4C by the 31st, depending on whether the nights can get as cold as they are progged to.

A very good, maybe 80% chance of beating 07 I'd say.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

16.0C to the 24th.

Yesterday was 14.0C, making it the coolest day since June 20th. Minimum for today is 9.3C (coolest since July 6th) and maxes look like being between 16.5 and 17.5C so tomorrow looks like being in the low 13s so a drop to 15.9C very likely. It might hold steady the next day thanks to high mins but the drop should continue after that. 15.8C by the 27th, 15.6C by the 29th and either 15.5 or 15.4C by the 31st, depending on whether the nights can get as cold as they are progged to.

A very good, maybe 80% chance of beating 07 I'd say.

Well if the GFS is right CET could take a pounding the next few days as some rather cool air comes south.

Posted

15.9C to the 25th

Yesterday was just 13.2C, max temp of 17.0C was coldest since June 14th.

Minimum for today is 12.7C and max temps look likely to be around 16C so no change for tomorrows update. Going by the 06z GFS, after that, 15.8C by the 27th, 15.6C by the 29th, 15.5C by the 30th and 15.4C by the 31st and 15.1/2C after corrections.

I'd say anyone guessing between 15.0-15.3C is looking best at the moment.

EDIT: Anything below 15.2C means the summer CET comes in lower than last years!

Edited by NaDamantaSam

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

15.9C to the 25th

Yesterday was just 13.2C, max temp of 17.0C was coldest since June 14th.

Minimum for today is 12.7C and max temps look likely to be around 16C so no change for tomorrows update. Going by the 06z GFS, after that, 15.8C by the 27th, 15.6C by the 29th, 15.5C by the 30th and 15.4C by the 31st and 15.1/2C after corrections.

I'd say anyone guessing between 15.0-15.3C is looking best at the moment.

EDIT: Anything below 15.2C means the summer CET comes in lower than last years!

Agreed, also, if it is below 15.1C, then August is cooler than June.

Posted

15.9C to the 26th.

Yesterday was 14.3C, with a max of just 15.9C. Minimum for today is 9.0C and maxima look set to be around 17C so we should end around the low 13s. so we should be at 15.8C tomorrow. It looks like we will lose 0.1C each day until the 31st, ending on 15.4C. If mins can get very low though or even as low as forecast in the GFS 06z, 15.3C is possible by the 31st.

It was an exceptionally cool day yesterday. Mean Maxima came in at 15.9c (4c below normal) and the coolest since 1st June.

On the finalised data, yesterdays max was the coolest since June 19th

Posted

I'm surprised that the CET is at 16.18c in the CET zone, and just 15.c in Central Leeds (50m).

So far 20 out of the 27 days have been below average, with some days as much as 7.c below average. A very cool and disappointing August, on the whole. The CET doesn't really reflect what the North of England has been experiencing, although it probably doesn't reflect the temperatures in the far south either.

Posted

I'm surprised that the CET is at 16.18c in the CET zone, and just 15.c in Central Leeds (50m).

So far 20 out of the 27 days have been below average, with some days as much as 7.c below average. A very cool and disappointing August, on the whole. The CET doesn't really reflect what the North of England has been experiencing, although it probably doesn't reflect the temperatures in the far south either.

It isn't it's 15.9c

In Sheffield we're down to 15.1C for the month. The last few cold days knocking it down fairly rapidly. Coolest since 1992 so far.

Posted

A mean here so far of 16.6C, which is exactly on the 1971-2000 average and the lowest since 1999. It should really be lower, but again its a result of very warm nights:

Mean Max: 20.2C (-0.9C)

Mean Min: 13.0C (+0.9C)

Average: 16.6C (0.0C)

If the mean max finishes below 19.9C it'll be the lowest since 1993.

Posted

It isn't it's 15.9c

The Net weather temperature tracker says it's 16.19.c.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=cet;sess=

Posted

Given that some really cool nights for late August are likely in the final four days, the CET may well finish unadjusted at 15.5 or even 15.4 if the nights get as cool as GFS suggests. After final adjustments it looks likely now that we will beat the August 2007 CET of 15.5, which will make it the coolest August in 17 years. Still we are not going to get to 15.0*C or even below this figure. Sub 15*C Augusts were not that uncommon before 1988, there were two in the 1980s, one in the 1970s and four in the 1960s, and even one as late as 1993. All this goes to show how warm Augusts have been overall in the last two decades or so.

This August will have been a significant pattern change on recent years, as we have only had four Augusts since 1988, and only two Augusts since 1993 below 16*C, and even then 1998 was only just under 16*C.

Posted

There is still no doubt, my mean maxima Aufust has been particularly cool since 2005.

Only last year had an August CET above average at all, though only 0.4C above.

Posted

Odds on for our coolest August for 17 years. I'm expecting at least a 0.2 degree downward adjustment. Don't believe many were calling on a particularly cool August. I will be over 1 degree out. It has been the consistently poor maxima which has really pulled the CET down courtesy of predominantly cloudy skies and not wet skies. Conversely the cloudy skies have kept mins at quite high levels.

No getting away from the fact that August 2010 for many will go down as a dissapointing summer month and after a wet and in some places very wet and dull July, summer 2010 in the main will go down as a poor one, the fourth successive poor summer for many (yes I know eastern england saw a fairly decent summer last year). An example of how woeful temps have been here in Cumbria is that since the 30 June we have seen only two days with a temp higher than 70f the highest since then being 23 degrees. Thank goodness for the warm weather in late May/early June and much of the second half of June.

There's still Sept mind...

Posted

The Net weather temperature tracker says it's 16.19.c.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=cet;sess=

Ignore that as it tends to be a long way off.

The drop for the next few days maybe slower due to slightly higher overnight temps. Still will drop though but tonight and Sunday double figure mins and then a real cool down on Monday and Tuesday night.

Edited by The PIT

Posted

15.8C to the 27th

Yesterday was 13.6C. Minimum for today is 9.7C, maxes look close to 18C, so we should see a drop to 15.7C tomorrow. Like recent days the 06z GFS will have us at 15.4C once again by the 31st. 15.0C-15.3C after corrections is my guess.

Posted

Only last year had an August CET above average at all, though only 0.4C above.

By mean Maxima England as a whole hasn't seen anything substantially warm since 2004;

2005 21.2c (+0.7c)

2006 19.9c (-0.6c)

2007 19.7c (-0.8c)

2008 19.5c (-1.0c)

2009 20.8c (+0.3c)

2010 19.2c? (-1.3c)

Posted

By mean Maxima England as a whole hasn't seen anything substantially warm since 2004;

2005 21.2c (+0.7c)

2006 19.9c (-0.6c)

2007 19.7c (-0.8c)

2008 19.5c (-1.0c)

2009 20.8c (+0.3c)

2010 19.2c? (-1.3c)

Thanks for these stats - very interesting and confirming how poor maxima has been this month. I suspect in much of northern england maxima compared to average will have been lower than the -1.3 degree figure with day after day of 17 and 18 degree maxes and a few at 16 degrees. I've barely felt the sun since late June.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

damn, my 16.2c punt (average) was too much. Sad times. Good luck to all those between 15.0 and 15.6c You's are in the firing line.

Posted

Our coldest August was 11.4C in 1986 followed by a equally rubbish September.

Got to admit I found today's max surprisingly less than yesterdays. I would have thought about the same. Should hit a low of around 10C to 11c here tonight.

Oh don't ask me about my punt.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Our coldest August was 11.4C in 1986 followed by a equally rubbish September.

Got to admit I found today's max surprisingly less than yesterdays. I would have thought about the same. Should hit a low of around 10C to 11c here tonight.

Oh don't ask me about my punt.

That's remarkably low, Pit, what were your mean max' and min' for that month?

The mean here was 11.8c ( mean max' 14.8c, mean min', 8.9c ) I thought we'd have been colder than you.

With regard to this August my guess of 15.9c is looking to be the closest I've managed in a long time.