Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General Storm Discussion Thread

Coast

Posted

Just been sent this to my Email account from the Met Office

"The Met Office are adving South Eastern Parts of Essex for rainfall rates of between 1&3mm over the next 6 hours. The Public are advised to take care on the roads and only use Window Wipers sparingly - Do not panic as the wet stuff falling from the sky will NOT Be repeated until September at the earliest. If you have plants please cover them up. Take action Now!"

:pardon:

Posted

Do not panic as the wet stuff falling from the sky will NOT Be repeated until September at the earliest.

I'm not taking any chances......

nikko-r-c-alligator-rubber-dinghy-.jpg

Posted

I have noticed that over the last couple of years for the areas of the Hampshire and Sounthern countries have seen a significant decrease in storm activity. cannot remember the last time i saw a decent storm.

any plumes from france seem to now drift NE and clip kent and Eastbourne, is this due to the jet stream? this year alone has been the worst, has anyone done some in depth investigation into why this is happening?

Posted

LOL @Paul + Rob! The shower has arrived here, light-moderate rain, quite convective in nature, but nice, cool and refreshing to stand in :help:

Edit: ooh some partially melted hail now too

and I'm nowhere near the centre yet! :pardon:

Edited by staplehurst

Posted

Cant believe it is actually going to rain in Saarfend Coasty! Looks like it just missed Benny Hill though LOL

I have noticed that over the last couple of years for the areas of the Hampshire and Sounthern countries have seen a significant decrease in storm activity. cannot remember the last time i saw a decent storm.

any plumes from france seem to now drift NE and clip kent and Eastbourne, is this due to the jet stream? this year alone has been the worst, has anyone done some in depth investigation into why this is happening?

See above Post :pardon:

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Quite a few storms gathering now towards the eastern side of the Emerald Isle. Must be some sea breeze convergence near the Irish Sea Coast. Still no sferics over mainland UK yet.

While here we have just plain old rain.

Posted

Cant believe it is actually going to rain in Saarfend Coasty! Looks like it just missed Benny Hill though LOL

http://forum.netweat...ost__p__1841883

See above Post :rofl:

:crazy:thanks for that paul, that makes quite alot of sense as to why there moving NE and not N. so how did the trough's go from being SE - NW to SW - NE? is this due to climate change.

Posted

Have not looked into that side extensively but would put my house on it being the angle of attack (so to speak) most of the attacks over the last 10 years have come in from Wales/Ireland whereas the proper Spanish Plumes of old would form from a Thermal Low over Biscay that would drift North allowing the Mcs's to attack in a general Northerly direction from Brest and the Bay of Biscay, these days the troughs are alligned SW/NE And anything that comes up from the hot continant automatically moves much more NE Or ENE & Affects Benelux and Germany and NE France. It is all dependant on when the Trough Engages the Plume and recently that has happened further east.

Think of it another way, when we chase in the States and a Trough moves in from the Pacific West, areas of Western Colorado and Utah etc still have that trough moving from West to East but the real action happens East of the Rockies when it engages the deep moisture, the same has been happening here, the deeper moisture has not been advected far enough NW & Is still sat over France.

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Just seen the biggest raindrops of my life. This is caused by hailstone that has melted in the air as it was falling correct me if I am wrong. But it was intensley heavy for 10 minutes ish. Caused our road to become a river. Our road runs down stream. It was like a plungepool. :rofl:

No doubt over 10mm of rain just fell.

Posted

Have not looked into that side extensively but would put my house on it being the angle of attack (so to speak) most of the attacks over the last 10 years have come in from Wales/Ireland whereas the proper Spanish Plumes of old would form from a Thermal Low over Biscay that would drift North allowing the Mcs's to attack in a general Northerly direction from Brest and the Bay of Biscay, these days the troughs are alligned SW/NE And anything that comes up from the hot continant automatically moves much more NE Or ENE & Affects Benelux and Germany and NE France. It is all dependant on when the Trough Engages the Plume and recently that has happened further east.

Think of it another way, when we chase in the States and a Trough moves in from the Pacific West, areas of Western Colorado and Utah etc still have that trough moving from West to East but the real action happens East of the Rockies when it engages the deep moisture, the same has been happening here, the deeper moisture has not been advected far enough NW & Is still sat over France.

Paul S

Cheers paul, just some glancing on the met office website, hopefully it's ok to post this

this was back in 2000

radar7may2000.gif

and the tough associated with this activity

ASXX18007May2000.gif

Posted

Just utter garbage in the UK this year for storms innit..and has been here for the last 3-4 years apart from the odd flash and rumble which wouldnt count as a 'storm' IMO.

Just came back from Paris on Sunday..and had 4 storms over there..3 within about 2 hours of each other.

First one was Monday morning..was awoken at 8am to the lovely sound of loud thunder in the distance..ran to the window opened it and seen the pitch black sky in the distance..rolling over towards us..lots of IC'sa few good CG's and lasted about 20 mins..with the thunder constantly rolling about the hills.

Wednesday was 'THE' day of storms..went into Paris within about 15 mins day turned to night..we need shelter and we need it NOW !!! got under cover and the heavens opened..never seen rain this heavy in my life really..again..lots of IC's but it was behind us but could hear the thunder booming right over us.

Another 2 storms after that..same scenario on the last one was really close..with loads of visible CG's instant cracks of thunder..i was in my element.

Then have to come back here with the depressing rain rain rain..and nothing much else.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, humid & exciting

Not a lot happening down here in the SW. Those showers are not getting going, if anything theyre less 'intense' than they have been. Looks like the trough is not moving in as it was expected to do?

If I didnt have radar id be getting a little excited though, this is the view from the tip top of the tree in my garden

img0722h.jpg

Hope something develops this afternoon :lol:

Edit: Dont get your BBQ on yet Pat :rofl:

Edited by Joey.G

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

I'm not taking any chances......

nikko-r-c-alligator-rubber-dinghy-.jpg

:rofl:

yeah more like...

ark.jpg

is needed for any passing shower that we may get....+sigh+ O'Stormeo, O'stormeo, where art thou O-Stormeo!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

:acute:we still have 6 weeks left for uk storms ......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

We've had a couple of showers, mostly light, this morning from what appears to be a variant of altocumulus - most odd considering it's height and thickness, didn't realise it could produce a shower.

Surprisingly it got as far north as Norwich- I had the same experience here. I've seen it happen before, it happened quite a large number of times while I was in both Exeter and Lancaster. Even so, I was surprised when it started raining seemingly out of nowhere, looked up and a patch of altocumulus had trails of precipitation coming out of it.

Posted

Hmm.. very heavy showers keep forming in a line along the north Cornwall and Devon coast with this line stuck over the same area.. they seem to keep being fueled by a convergence zone.. sound familiar? Although obviously (and thankfully) not as extreme as the 16th August 2004.

(reply to TWS) Yes that's interesting, I've known a light shower from 'innocent looking' altocumulus a few times too.

Edited by StormMad26

Posted

Not a lot happening down here in the SW. Those showers are not getting going, if anything theyre less 'intense' than they have been. Looks like the trough is not moving in as it was expected to do?

If I didnt have radar id be getting a little excited though, this is the view from the tip top of the tree in my garden

img0722h.jpg

Hope something develops this afternoon :)

Edit: Dont get your BBQ on yet Pat ;)

I dont wont it to rain just done some wet concrete around the waterfall :rofl:

NO STORMS plz 8)

do you think it will miss my waterfall

edit just checked the radar.......no worries :lol: :lol: :lol:

post-3696-042383300 1279721172.txt

Edited by Pat Carter

Posted

Those showers along the N Cornwall/ Devon coast have been getting heavier with each one. Just had a small storm pass over Barnstaple and it looks like there maybe more following on behind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Precipitation over Kent (strangely resembling prolonged rain rather than showers) is heading on a collision course for Norwich. It'll be interesting to see if that, too, ends up largely sourced from altocumulus.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Pat,

Just had that shower here in barnwood.

Wasnt very heavy. Everything is almost dry again.

Posted

Pat,

Just had that shower here in barnwood.

Wasnt very heavy. Everything is almost dry again.

lol.....one thing you can predict with this year is that the showers die when they get here..lol

it fizzled on radar, my waterfall is saved :rofl:

Some more beefy ones down N.Devon but not worried they will fizzle also by the time they get here

Edited by Pat Carter

Posted

:acute:we still have 6 weeks left for uk storms ......

Why 6 weeks? That's the end of August, storms can and do happen after then.

The loudest storm in recent years in this area happened on a September night!