Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

General Storm Discussion Thread

Coast

Posted

yes are they electrical? no strikes on the radar

Iv started to give up on lightning detection never seem to work very well.

Posted

They were electrical as they slowly moved on my area but the lightning activity has since stopped, wouldnt be surprised if it fires back up though as it has turned from day to night where I am in the space of 30 mins since the rain arrived.

Posted

Would definately be on the look out for Funnels and brief spin ups from these cells, remember they will be viewable from the South / South East or South West

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Where are these cells in the nw heading?

Posted

Lol

Have you put up the right clip BFS ??? Watched all 5 mins and did not hear one piece of Thunder :)

Posted

Does look interesting shape-wise the cell just on northern side of Liverpool on the 20:50 scan, and also cell over Wirral and east of Liverpool, all seem to have hooks on the SW side, though not being doppler it's hard to tell rotation:

post-1052-050637200 1279742457_thumb.png

Seems to be some wind convergence in that Liverpool Bay area this evening.

http://www.weather2day.com/radar/uk/23

this help?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Probably worth keeping an eye on a cell south of Crewe currently moving NNE. It's intensified quite a bit over the past twenty minutes. Current radar output attached showing said cell.

post-49-036857400 1279743483_thumb.png

Posted
This is indeed true. I remember mid September 1993 when what had already been an unsettled day with heavy and thundery showers, really came to life at around 2:00am when cells over Wales just burst into life and were indeed backbuilding. This being down to an occluded front which during the day it was the south of England who caught the worst but after midnight and even beyond the dawn hours, it was the turn of the Midlands, Wales and the south east.

Some severe storms and frequent CG lightning. (A couple of which were a bit TOO close for comfort).

Like Steve, I can't give a rational explanation as to why this happens when the Sun is not available to create ground heating, hence convection but I'm guessing at relative humidity, and surface roughness.

However, tomorrow does look that little bit more promising, but as I've said on here over the last couple of days... I'm not getting my hopes up too much.

Phil.

Ahh I would have likely just missed that September 93 event by moving to Lancaster a week or so before it happened. Any ideas where I could learn more about storms of the mid nineties as I remember a few great ones in the 1994-1996 timeframe in Nuneaton and also Skegness on one occasion that I was lucky enough to go there on the right night. That was a strange day because me and a friend just went up there in his car with little money and were going to lurk near a beach all night in peace, but a huge rave turned up and then later the police, then finally thunderstorms that were rather more interesting than what the humans in the area were doing.

As for the reasons why some things keep going overnight, although I dont understand stuff properly enough to start throwing around terms like I know what the mean, but just within recent days on this forum I have heard something about nocturnal cooling of cloud tips helping, at least in certain setups.

Come on Geoff CAPEs, I need your strength tomorrow :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Probably worth keeping an eye on a cell south of Crewe currently moving NNE. It's intensified quite a bit over the past twenty minutes. Current radar output attached showing said cell.

yep, just heard a rumble from that beast :D

Posted

Thanks for the tip.

Just caught the edge of the first / top one in the graphic, few strikes and associated thunder.

Will keep my eye to the south for the next storm heading up the 'West Coast Line'

Edited by Sunny Android

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and lots of Heavy snow!

Just heard several large claps of thunder and a :)few flashes of lightning here in Crewe. Is a big storm on the way??

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

As Mr Sherman says, there's no UK network of dopplers like in the US. Though there is one used by the MetO for research at Chilbolton in Hants though not available publicly, though I believe there were rumours of perhaps more being set-up around the UK in the future.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Just heard several large claps of thunder and a :)few flashes of lightning here in Crewe. Is a big storm on the way??

Best of it is moving to our east

Posted

As Mr Sherman says, there's no UK network of dopplers like in the US. Though there is one used by the MetO for research at Chilbolton in Hants though not available publicly, though I believe there were rumours of perhaps more being set-up around the UK in the future.

nick,

what are the chances for the south west and south-east wales? anything convective? :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

There is an isolated storm in the vicinity of Crewe, moving NNE over the eastern side of the town. Looks quite beefy on Radar.

Posted

Video of the near constant thunder we had here earlier this evening.

Could see some fantastic Cumulonimbus with anvils over Ireland from my back garden here in Deiniolen, Gwynedd, North Wales - although it has been a beautiful, warm day here with one or two towering Cumulus around.

post-6300-052896100 1279744487_thumb.jpg

Posted

Hmmm, so my area looks like it could be in for another hammering soon?

Would be nice to see some more night time lightning though the cold output from the cells ahead concerns me so far as storms tonight goes.

Posted

nick,

what are the chances for the south west and south-east wales? anything convective? :D

Chance of heavy showers with thunder developing tomorrow in that part of the world.

Posted

Yes it looks Manchester bound and will miss me in Warrington.

Still not giving up hope, the sky looks very dark and heavy to my South west :D

Posted

Hmmm, so my area looks like it could be in for another hammering soon?

Would be nice to see some more night time lightning though the cold output from the cells ahead concerns me so far as storms tonight goes.

Things have quietened down significantly over the past hour on radar. Leaving me wondering whether or not to stay up a bit later tonight to see if things develop after midnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Lol

Have you put up the right clip BFS ??? Watched all 5 mins and did not hear one piece of Thunder :D

He has, you need to turn up your speakers Paul....it was some distance away so the rumbles are quite low, but consistent.

What a storm it was though, so skinny and yet powerful and high. It developed into a monster within 30 minutes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and lots of Heavy snow!

Some Heavy rain has just started where I am but your right the best of the action does look like its moving slowly east.