Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Weather General Discussion

Coast

Posted

Heavy rain showers all day today, Including some with a lot of hailstones, also lost power at worked today for 30 mins, no thunder and lightning that Im aware of.

been some impressive cloud structures today though.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Heavy rain showers all day today, Including some with a lot of hailstones, also lost power at worked today for 30 mins, no thunder and lightning that Im aware of.

been some impressive cloud structures today though.

Nice to see your having some convective weather for a change cookie... Some hefty showers this afternoon but most fizzeled out before they reached here right on the coast, only to re-invigorate out over the North sea. Set my camera for time-lapse but looking back at the footage tis' quite boring, nice shot of a high altitude airplane with contrail is about as exciting as it got..!!

Posted

Nice to see your having some convective weather for a change cookie... Some hefty showers this afternoon but most fizzeled out before they reached here right on the coast, only to re-invigorate out over the North sea. Set my camera for time-lapse but looking back at the footage tis' quite boring, nice shot of a high altitude airplane with contrail is about as exciting as it got..!!

Yep, typical of a polar westerly wind, we miss out on all the exciting convective stuff! Around tea time, the showers did hold enough to give some light/moderate rain but it never lasted.

I would love to be in NW Scotland today, some stunning cloudscapes and they are experiencing the classic sunshine and showers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Yes, one of those types of days where I used to find it a bit irritating being told how lucky I'd been to escape the bad weather! I think the north-east coast will see more in the way of showers tomorrow and on Thursday as the wind swings around to the north-west and then the north, there should be some homegrown activity rather than relying entirely upon Atlantic-generated showers firing in over the Pennines.

Posted

Yes, one of those types of days where I used to find it a bit irritating being told how lucky I'd been to escape the bad weather! I think the north-east coast will see more in the way of showers tomorrow and on Thursday as the wind swings around to the north-west and then the north, there should be some homegrown activity rather than relying entirely upon Atlantic-generated showers firing in over the Pennines.

There might be more showers here tomorrow but i don't think it will be the "clear" sunshine and showers though, more like cloudy with rain with limited brightness. It might break up more into something more convective as the band of showers head South.

Looking at the radar sequences and the cloud images, it makes you crave for a Northerly!

Posted

Yep, typical of a polar westerly wind, we miss out on all the exciting convective stuff! Around tea time, the showers did hold enough to give some light/moderate rain but it never lasted.

I would love to be in NW Scotland today, some stunning cloudscapes and they are experiencing the classic sunshine and showers.

we had plenty of that today.

would have been nice to get some thunder and lightning, but oh well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Not very hopeful for tomorrow as I have a feeling the activity will be up north, though may be wrong. Certainly a squall line went through here this evening but the main feature was the rain as opposed to the wind. And now the suspected temperature drop.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Squall line as it went through Birrrmingham this afternoon :80:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=KwYduXdW2X4

Edited by windypants

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Squal line just passed threw here, gave 5 mins of very heavy rain and very windy aswell well has been all day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Squally rain and wind here at around 8pm. Quite impressive stuff for a while.

Posted

It's been very windy all day here, added with the squall line coming through a recipe for a storm. Some really impressive gusts, very heavy hail/rain, so is this a wintry shower as the source is cold and the winds are from the NW?  

Posted

It's been very windy all day here, added with the squall line coming through a recipe for a storm. Some really impressive gusts, very heavy hail/rain, so is this a wintry shower as the source is cold and the winds are from the NW?  

Nope, more likely the hail was formed because of the high cumulonimbus clouds creating the hail rather than any cool air undercutting any PPN. Dew points and temperatures are WAY too high for wintry showers.

Too me a wintry shower is a shower of rain/sleet/hail mixed in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

just had some flashes and rumbles of thunder :shok:

Congratulations mate! If only this low could be that bit further south :)

Posted

Getting more reports of lightning across Lewis from people on my facebook.

hope I get some more over this way

nice :) i hope it moves this way as most of the north of caithness just had a thunderstorm and i heard that there was wild hail and rain with it but it missed us here in wick, we only got a flash of lightning and a few spots of rain :shok:

Edited by weatherboy

Posted

just had some flashes and rumbles of thunder :D

Seemed in keeping with the forecasts and charts anyway. Nice one Cookie!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The squall line was quite impressive over Norwich yesterday, it gave some torrential rain and there was a stunning sunset as the sun shone onto decaying shower clouds on the backward edge of the front.

There might be more showers here tomorrow but i don't think it will be the "clear" sunshine and showers though, more like cloudy with rain with limited brightness. It might break up more into something more convective as the band of showers head South.

Looking at the radar sequences and the cloud images, it makes you crave for a Northerly!

You were right as far as the southern half of England is concerned (I'm not sure what it's been like up in your area, the radar suggested a couple of heavy showers), an occlusion has turned up and I have to hold my hands up and admit that I underestimated its impact.

I should've looked out more closely, because countless times in the past I've looked forward to one of those "sunshine and showers" days with towering cumulus congestus/cumulonimbus cells and sunshine in between, only for an occlusion to turn up at the last moment, embedded in the flow, and give something rather less dramatic with the odd bit of sun, plenty of stratocumulus and sporadic light rain. In Norwich today the rain is dying out before it reaches here so it's a dry but mostly cloudy day with the odd bit of sun, and significantly, not a TCu or Cb cell in sight.

Many of us in the south are looking at one classic "sunshine and showers" day at the very most, when a few days ago it looked like there'd be four or five on the trot, but that's often the way of the UK climate and the models having a poor handle on small-scale frontal features and overdoing the duration of polar/arctic maritime outbreaks. Good to see that the people on the Isle of Lewis are getting some excitement though!

Posted

A bit mixture of both slate grey skies and something more convective. The occuladed front only produced a bit of light rain/drizzle however the cloud(which looked stratuscumulus too my eyes) was keep breaking up before it reaches here thus it we had lengthy sunny spells.

The front passed and we did had something more like a Cumulus cloud which produce one fairly quick moderate-heavy shower but at the moment, its grey skies again with limited brightness although there is some cumulus clouds around.

I was expecting more rainfall but at least the strong gusts of wind this morning kept the weather fairly interesting.

Maybe tomorrow will be more of a sunshine and shower day i feel.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Think showers will be more widespread tomorrow, with showers possible over southern half of the UK too and there's a slightly higher chance of thunder tomorrow across the UK towards the east, though any storms likely to be weak and isolated. Otherwise, pretty uneventful for the next few days or so.

Posted

Cumulonimbus clouds narrowly missing us here on the NE coast. Showers generally initiated over Tynemouth/South Shields area only to be blown over the North sea and intensify, close but no cigar..! Nevertheless some pretty impressive skyscapes.

post-5386-098423800 1284573433_thumb.jpg post-5386-018400700 1284573443_thumb.jpg post-5386-042327600 1284573455_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

The squall line was quite impressive over Norwich yesterday, it gave some torrential rain and there was a stunning sunset as the sun shone onto decaying shower clouds on the backward edge of the front.

Yes! I was happily watching that squall line get closer and closer as we were driving north back into Norwich. It was a bit of a surprise and the rain was heavier than expected too!

Cumulonimbus clouds narrowly missing us here on the NE coast. Showers generally initiated over Tynemouth/South Shields area only to be blown over the North sea and intensify, close but no cigar..! Nevertheless some pretty impressive skyscapes.

post-5386-098423800 1284573433_thumb.jpg post-5386-018400700 1284573443_thumb.jpg post-5386-042327600 1284573455_thumb.jpg

The contrast of those pictures are really nice and professional looking. What sort of settings would I need for that?

Posted

The contrast of those pictures are really nice and professional looking. What sort of settings would I need for that?

I set my camera to the M position on my EOS350D have W/B set to daylight aperture to 5.6 and shutter speed 3200 and have the ISO at 200 for those particular shots., I'm no expert but ive had my camera for a few years now and have messed around with settings and have become fairly familiar with it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

I set my camera to the M position on my EOS350D have W/B set to daylight aperture to 5.6 and shutter speed 3200 and have the ISO at 200 for those particular shots., I'm no expert but ive had my camera for a few years now and have messed around with settings and have become fairly familiar with it.

Thats cool just so I get the general idea on what to use. Thanks for the info!