Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Weather General Discussion

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, humid & exciting

Looks like a small potent shower over C London atm, I can see convection in the distance off to the east from here in Reading. Wish I was closer but im not about to head to the M25 at this time of day for a chase lol

Posted

Showing quite near my work location, not yet broke, sky looks like it could be torrentail when it does though, no convection seen

Now torrential extremely heavy cell

Edited by dallas

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

Been i quiet sunny day untill about an hour ago when some heavy rain went over then after it had past the power went out for a while! Now it is very humid outside at 83%and rising

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

We've had some heavy rain here in Lee, London SE12 but didnt hear any thunder. Cells on this line of convergence now drifting slowly to the east of London and have intensified a little. Can still hear rain hammering down on next doors conservatory.

Just had rumble of thunder now, came from east of here, by the sound of it.

Regards,

Tom.

Posted

Can confirm there was a thunderstorm over the Exeter/ East Devon area earlier this afternoon. Something went wrong with the weather! :lol:

Was at school as I'm at 6th form now but could hear a few rumbles at the end of lunch, then again during assembly and as we came out, a bit closer this time. Then unfortunately I had to sit in a windowless sports centre for 40 minutes! but heard about 4 presumably quite close rumbles loud enough to hear inside, then finally got out to very heavy rain with large puddles and lots of water running down the car park! Then managed to hear 3 close cracks of thunder and a couple flashes with heavy/torrential rain for a while before the thunder stopped.

Rain must have been absolutely torrential here though! 19.2mm fell with a peak rainfall rate of 212.6mm per hour!! the highest recorded so far for my station. There was lots of water running everywhere and a few patches of local flooding though we just managed to get the car through. leaves/sticks etc on the roads and one road had apparently been like a fast flowing river.

Posted

Good evening...

Very angry looking cloud base approaching here from the NW through all the mushy haze, again suprised to see thundery activity has popped up on my doorstep, plenty of congesting cumulus about through the haze too.

Radar suggests activity has already weakened over the London area, as was the case yesterday storms are of the pulse variety with evidently weak flow not helping, yesterday I watched a dramatic line of congesting cumulus which persisted to the West in the evening, each tower would shoot vertically then collapse.

Edited by Free Three

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Can confirm there was a thunderstorm over the Exeter/ East Devon area earlier this afternoon. Something went wrong with the weather! :lol:

Was at school as I'm at 6th form now but could hear a few rumbles at the end of lunch, then again during assembly and as we came out, a bit closer this time. Then unfortunately I had to sit in a windowless sports centre for 40 minutes! but heard about 4 presumably quite close rumbles loud enough to hear inside, then finally got out to very heavy rain with large puddles and lots of water running down the car park! Then managed to hear 3 close cracks of thunder and a couple flashes with heavy/torrential rain for a while before the thunder stopped.

Rain must have been absolutely torrential here though! 19.2mm fell with a peak rainfall rate of 212.6mm per hour!! the highest recorded so far for my station. There was lots of water running everywhere and a few patches of local flooding though we just managed to get the car through. leaves/sticks etc on the roads and one road had apparently been like a fast flowing river.

That sounds fantastic. I'm sort of gutted as that was part of the system that moved northeastwards this way but then veered eastwards before it got here by which time it had weakened considerably as it got here.

That sounds fantastic. I'm sort of gutted as that was part of the system that moved northeastwards this way but then veered eastwards before it got here by which time it had weakened considerably as it got here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Good to see about the storm over the Exeter area- when I looked at the radar I thought "surely that must be producing some electrical activity".

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

Had a really heavy downpour 30mins ago, just one flash and bang :lol: wasn't expecting that though :lol:

Guest FireStorm

Hopefully I wont be told off for posting this image from netwx radar (and its a good example of why people should subscribe. brilliant zoom feature AND 5 min overlays!)

This is the rainfall in the SE. Some torrential looking downpours half an hour ago :lol:

post-7102-062867500 1283967627_thumb.jpg

Edited by FireStorm

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

The setting sun sparked the showers off to life this evening around here. Several torrential showers passed close by, then a direct hit just: gave 9mm in 30 minutes:

post-2595-069669900 1283969549_thumb.jpg

I concur with the above as to the merits of Netweather radar!

Edited by Tonyh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

well, round one just about drawing to a close, a dozen cracks of thunder and torrential rain....lovely!........round's 2 & 3 aren't too far away by the looks of things 1) quite a potent cell in the wednesfield/wolverhampton area drifting northwards towards me, and 2) a quite lively looking line of cells in the worcester/droitwich area also drifting north...an exciting afternoon beckons :lol:

yes I had my first thunderstorm of the season around that time yesterday,

Posted

Missed out narrowly again here yesterday, i can't see how a Spanish Plume could possibly happen now either unless 2006 comes back which im had one at some point in October and near misses around the middle of the month.

If only there could be a lovely hot sunny humid day then massive convection by the evening and then a bonkers storm arriving as the sun set next summer, 2004-2006 saw this happen on repeated occasions and 2007 and 2008 despite missing the heat part still managed to give some cracking storms here, but since 2009 the storm shield has really upped its game.

Posted

Hopefully I wont be told off for posting this image from netwx radar (and its a good example of why people should subscribe. brilliant zoom feature AND 5 min overlays!)

This is the rainfall in the SE. Some torrential looking downpours half an hour ago :blink:

Looks like Staplehurst copped the worst of it running the radar back, a large area of white developed as the line moved over Staplehurst. Can confirm we've had 20mm of rain today - we had 6mm when I left for work at 3pm, so one can presume that line dropped 14mm of rain in just over an hour! :blink:

At work, further south in Cranbrook, there was one very loud rumble at 17:40, I was indoors so can't confirm whether there was any lightning to accompany it or not. Not bad for an unexpected downpour :cc_confused:

Posted

GFS gives us a few days of relatively low potential and then a few days of real quiet:

MU_Manchester_avn.png

MU_London_avn.png

Posted

Quiet on here considering quite a scattering of heavy showers about now across the country.

Well especially over central and northen England and parts of the SE. Just poppers I guess, still a chance of a rumble or 2 in a few spots?

(right thread this time....)

Posted

CB's sprouting up to my north and west at the moment, a gentle breeze out there and it feels very warm in the sun sheltered from the breeze.

Sharp shower has developed over Maidstone, heading ESEwards.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Large anvils developed over canterbury way! :unsure:

Posted

sferic detected by ATD over Cranleigh, Surrey.

Sharp shower has developed over Maidstone, heading ESEwards.

This has now developed along a fairly long E-W line over the central and eastern slice of Kent. Despite the radar returns, the cloud base, although very dark, is quite high.