Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Weather General Discussion

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

do you think there will be any chance of thunder and lightning? would be great to have a nightime storm

I doubt it very much, the intensity seems to have reduced on radar but the cape figures forecast for tomorrow are rising so coupled with the incoming rain we might see some activity!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

I doubt it very much, the intensity seems to have reduced on radar but the cape figures forecast for tomorrow are rising so coupled with the incoming rain we might see some activity!

well its always good to remain optimistic!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

On tuesday had a few long deep rumbles of thunder and a short downpour.

Whats happening tonight for the south/se?

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Lots of very heavy rain coming up from france , one strike indicated in channel earlier... Not exactly what the met office said , it was due to be further west.

Posted

On tuesday had a few long deep rumbles of thunder and a short downpour.

Whats happening tonight for the south/se?

Don't want to know...am going on holiday this evening, and will be gutted if there is thundery activity :)

Lots of very heavy rain coming up from france , one strike indicated in channel earlier... Not exactly what the met office said , it was due to be further west.

As I said yesterday Neil, it was never going to be easy to forecast this one - a very complex scenario unfolding, with a rapidly developing area of LP combining with multiple airmasses and interacting with a larger area of LP to the NW - no model was going to be able to handle that with great accuracy...the MetO had progged a WF with rain sitting across C/S England, but instead we have fog. The worst was always supposed to miss us to the South anyway iirc.

Posted

Ive been following the 'progress' of this feature overnight and it really doesn't seem to have made much headway at all across the Channel since I first heard about it some 15 or so hours ago. At that time it was thought to be heading ENE, but overnight seems to have edged further westwards. Thoughts anyone ?

Posted

well could we have our 3rd storm of the year today??? :)

1 would be nice here also Stuart...dosent even have to be a storm i'll even take a couple of flashes/rumbles ?? :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Here we are in the middle of a low pressure area and there's virtually zilch activity - what a waste! Didn't see anything yesterday and looks like after today it might be a while before another convective day. :)

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Quite- people looking ahead gloomily to spells such as this, seeing lows over the UK for days on end, and yet half the time they give reasonable weather with just a few showers. A beautiful sunny and mild morning here! Only light showers over SW Wales.

Posted

It's certainly not uncommon, especially under the area of LP, to have calm (no breeze at all sometimes!), clear starry skies and potentially cold evenings - I've experienced it many a time where you'd swear you were under an area of HP.

This morning even there was extensive fog, which is certainly something you don't get often under LP, certainly not with weather fronts and a lot of frontal/convective activity just to the South.

To someone without instruments, radars etc, you'd swear even right now we were under a stubborn high throwing a lot of cloud in from the coast.

Edited by Harry

Posted

Here we are in the middle of a low pressure area and there's virtually zilch activity - what a waste! Didn't see anything yesterday and looks like after today it might be a while before another convective day. :drinks:

That's largely because there is a 'col' over western Britain today, whereby there is a slight rise in pressure between the two Low pressure systems situated to the west of Scotland and over northeast France.

10090806_0806.gif

Edited by staplehurst

Posted

well good luck but i dont think you will see anything :drinks:

Yes..i suspect you are spot on nothing happening AGAIN...a few scattered cumulus and a bit of cirrus nothing of any major significance..just dosent 'feel thundery' either.

However i may be pleasently surprised later on although i doubt it..cant believe yesterdays storms were so near..yet so far.

How pants has this summer been for storms..not 1 single rumble here..yet i went over to France for a week and seen 4 storms (3 within about 2 hours of each other).

Moan over lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Activity pepping up on our Island, seems our best chances are late afternoon/early evening to catch a hefty downpour.

Posted

Activity pepping up on our Island, seems our best chances are late afternoon/early evening to catch a hefty downpour.

If a t-storm is going to happen, I'd take a guess that you'll be first (and possibly only) ones to see/hear it!

Posted

Very heavy showers developing over Pembrokeshire, clouded over here after a lovely morning.

Posted

All seems very quiet across the UK and Ireland currently. Anyone of our friends across the puddle there have anything interesting to report yet?? :unknw:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Here we are in the middle of a low pressure area and there's virtually zilch activity - what a waste! Didn't see anything yesterday and looks like after today it might be a while before another convective day. :unknw:

As well as what Staplehurst mentions, I think the easterly component to the winds in the northern two-thirds of Britain is also a factor- the North Sea is not the greatest source of instability at this time of year. In addition a large overhang of frontal cloud from the system over south-east England will be inhibiting convection.

SW England looks like it's having plenty of heavy showers, maybe chances of the odd isolated thunderstorm around the Dartmoor/Exeter area judging by the radar.

Posted

SW England looks like it's having plenty of heavy showers, maybe chances of the odd isolated thunderstorm around the Dartmoor/Exeter area judging by the radar.

Just the very isolated one I believe currently TWS:

post-6667-073561100%201283954741.jpg

post-6667-073561100 1283954741_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Thanks for the clarification- so nothing over Exeter/Dartmoor then, as that strike was further to the NE (and I can see showers over that area on the radar, though they seem to be fizzling once they get east of there).

Posted

Some Big showers now showing in devon and in the next few hours could be intresting for the Somerset Area.