Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2011

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry summers with big thunderstorms.

I meant max and mins for London. The max avg is 23c in July and 14c is the low so +5c is 28c and 19c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

July 2006 for London had an average max of above 28C so it can happen, but getting a month of consistent 19-20C nights would be harder than 30C+ days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Hey I was thinking with December having a CET below 5c what would happen in a July above 5c?? 28c every day in London with nightime lows of 19c?

Also What's the highest above avg CET month in the summer ever?

I think the warmest summer month since 1900 compared to the 71-00 average was July 2006 (3.2c above). However January 1963 was a whopping 6.3c below the 71-00 average. Several other winter months also come out at more than 4c below average, including last December. I guess that is down to blocking patterns more likely to hang around during winter than in summer.

Posted

Last week I gave my opinion (few pages before) on summer 2011 in whole Europe...I am in hurry but I will write my opinion first about spring 2011....We are all looking forward summer but forget spring which has almost started !

I think it will be cool spring for you in UK with few more late bites of winter,especially in March and first half of April.

Then you should see pretty nice May(end of spring) and maybe first part of June,and than guess what...BANG !! Big turnaround in the end of June,especially in July and August which could be wet and dull months for you dudes....

Just my opinion, but think about it....I predict cool first part of Spring,warmer second and then again wet and temperature around average summer(but it will feel colder because of rain and Atlantic lows which will be settled just over UK,Ireland,and Scandinavia...

That's from me for now, I will post again for few days with new NASA and IOD seasonal forecast(which updates around 10th every month) :rolleyes::crazy:

Edited by CroatianWeather

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

I think the warmest summer month since 1900 compared to the 71-00 average was July 2006 (3.2c above). However January 1963 was a whopping 6.3c below the 71-00 average. Several other winter months also come out at more than 4c below average, including last December. I guess that is down to blocking patterns more likely to hang around during winter than in summer.

I would have said the opposite and that it shows severe cold weather in the winter is harder to get than notable heat in the summer, and this is therefore reflected in the averages...?

Posted

One for Kevin. How many times has March recorded a colder CET than February? Cheers. :drinks:

65 times, last occasion was 1995

So statistically, we are probably due one. Some of the more notable crashes

Feb 5.8

Mar 2.5

Feb 6.9

Mar 3.1

Feb 7.5

Mar 3.8

Feb 5.9

Mar 1.9

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted

Feb 5.8

Mar 2.5

Feb 6.9

Mar 3.1

Feb 7.5

Mar 3.8

Feb 5.9

Mar 1.9

Wow look at 1883, a March value of 1.9 degrees! Colder than any month since Feb 91 bar Jan 10 and Dec 10. Will need to have a look at the synoptics.. even more suprising given it came on the back of a very mild Feb. Quite incredible..

Posted

Wow look at 1883, a March value of 1.9 degrees! Colder than any month since Feb 91 bar Jan 10 and Dec 10. Will need to have a look at the synoptics.. even more suprising given it came on the back of a very mild Feb. Quite incredible..

Here is an article I wrote on it

Posted

We are well overdue an April at least 0.5C below the average for the CET. After recent months, it must be only a matter of time.

Personally i would like another April similar to 2007 here sunshine wise at least, other than June 2010 it was the only month to have sunshine figures above 200 hours here since July 2006.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/2008/avn/Rtavn00220080406.png

To be honest though i really don't mind setups like these either, heavy snow overnight followed by a crisp and not to chilly feeling sunny day in strong sunshine is always nice.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I would imagine that 2008 would be regarded by many on here as the perfect Spring. Alternating warm and cool spells during March and April with some snow. Then a wonderfully warm and sunny May.

Posted

The perfect spring for me would have a wintry first half (like 1917) and a summery second half, though alternating between the two extremes would be nice as well.

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted

I would imagine that 2008 would be regarded by many on here as the perfect Spring. Alternating warm and cool spells during March and April with some snow. Then a wonderfully warm and sunny May.

Apart from the early May, that spring was pretty awful - it was an extension of winter, March was actually colder than January that year, and had the white easter. April was very cold until the final weekend, when it was mild. If not for that mild spell, it too would have been barely warmer than January.

A good spring would mean having months like April 2007 followed by May 1992. :clap:

Posted

Feb 5.8

Mar 2.5

Feb 6.9

Mar 3.1

Feb 7.5

Mar 3.8

Feb 5.9

Mar 1.9

Thanks Kevin. :drinks: Wouldn't be surprised if we crack it this year, especially with February currently looking as though its going to come in well above average.

Edited by Gavin P

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think we have a good chance of cracking it as well- recent La Nina years have had a habit of producing wintry spells in spring, and I've mentioned earlier that this winter has had a fair amount in common with 1890/91.

Re. May 2008 I remember the second half being quite disappointing although there was regional variation. In Norwich the first half was exceptionally warm and sunny with 27C on one of the days, but the second half was notably dull. Nonetheless, sunshine still came out rather above average because of how exceptional the first half was.

April 2008 contained a very memorable convective spell here- from the 6th to 15th inclusive big cumulonimbus cells and rain and/or hail showers occurred on most days, there was snow on the 6th and 7th, thunder on three days, and one day (I can't remember which one) had a big hailstorm accompanied by frequent thunder which covered the UEA campus in two centimetres of hailstones averaging about a centimetre diameter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry summers with big thunderstorms.

What was the summer like in 1890? I'm really looking forward to sunny warm days and I know this sounds rather sad but I love real heat, would love 35c max and at midnight still 25c, my window open fan on love it! I'm just so unsure about this coming summer!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The summers in 1890 and 1891 weren't amazing I'm afraid. However, Summer 1995 (following the most recent instance of February warmer than March) was a very different story...

I remember that in 1998, at Cleadon February's mean maximum temperature was higher than that of both March and April 1998!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

What was the summer like in 1890? I'm really looking forward to sunny warm days and I know this sounds rather sad but I love real heat, would love 35c max and at midnight still 25c, my window open fan on love it! I'm just so unsure about this coming summer!

not sad at all, Heat is very plesent on your skin, I love 45-50C Day and 30C at night wearing a coat, it's awesome although of course 45C never happens in this country so i'd happily settle for 25C for a week each month :rolleyes: , the rest of the 3 weeks of the month can be rubbish, I wouldn't mind :good:

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I think we have a good chance of cracking it as well- recent La Nina years have had a habit of producing wintry spells in spring, and I've mentioned earlier that this winter has had a fair amount in common with 1890/91.

Re. May 2008 I remember the second half being quite disappointing although there was regional variation. In Norwich the first half was exceptionally warm and sunny with 27C on one of the days, but the second half was notably dull. Nonetheless, sunshine still came out rather above average because of how exceptional the first half was.

April 2008 contained a very memorable convective spell here- from the 6th to 15th inclusive big cumulonimbus cells and rain and/or hail showers occurred on most days, there was snow on the 6th and 7th, thunder on three days, and one day (I can't remember which one) had a big hailstorm accompanied by frequent thunder which covered the UEA campus in two centimetres of hailstones averaging about a centimetre diameter.

Was'nt the first half of May 2008 one of the warmest on record?

Posted

It was. I recall that the hot sunny spell in Norwich was probably the most significant sustained spell that I've experienced in May, although the first week of May 1995 ran it close (the first week of May 1990 was even hotter but it was before I started taking observations).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

A mixed spring would be good but lets hope the mega bank holiday bonanza week falls when the weather is on the good side!

For me, the peak period where I want good dry, sunny & warm or hot weather is mid May to end of July. If it has to be rubbish either side of that then fine but the peak of daylight period is such a lovely and brief time it needs to be enjoyed properly!

Posted

I personally would love a nice warm spring, followed by a hot end of spring/start of Summer. Now i am living in dreamland lol!

Posted

It was. I recall that the hot sunny spell in Norwich was probably the most significant sustained spell that I've experienced in May, although the first week of May 1995 ran it close (the first week of May 1990 was even hotter but it was before I started taking observations).

Interestingly the first week of May 1995 (15.1C) was much hotter than May 1990 (13.4C) here and May 2008 was 12.7C.

May 2008 was actually a bit of an odd month. It was dry and sunny but as the winds were predominantly easterly (on 28 of 31 days) the temperatures were unexceptional. Indeed, the month was only 1.2C above the 1971-2000 average and cooler than May 2009 by 0.1C.

Id welcome a cold and varied spring. 1996 is the only spring to record a mean more than 1C below average here since 1989. So it'd definitely be something different, though I understand it'd be very unpopular in many quarters!