Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Slightly Less Cold Spell Discussion Part 21

Cookie

Posted

temp 5c.

wind-E.at 7mph.

humidity 87%.

really fed up right now with the weather a frost or something would be nice or fog, but no more rain unless the temps are right then we could have SNOW. lol.

or just flippin cold would be nice. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

where is everyone???????????????????????.

Edited by snowwhere?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

temp 4c.

humidity 100%.

drizzle.

wind E- 5mph

Yep - crap isn't it.

Winter here in the North West has been VERY poor in terms of snow. One of the poorest on record if you ask me.

We need some more before it's too late. :(

Posted

Yep - crap isn't it.

Winter here in the North West has been VERY poor in terms of snow. One of the poorest on record if you ask me.

We need some more before it's too late. :(

I thought the Southern part to the NW had several heavy falls of snow in the mid December cold spell?

I agree for a geneally cool winter, snowfall hasn't been great for England and Wales.

Posted

I thought the Southern part to the NW had several heavy falls of snow in the mid December cold spell?

I agree for a geneally cool winter, snowfall hasn't been great for England and Wales.

What? 1 decent event?

Anyone for some skating?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/4233/

Posted

So Hale is drier than the driest place in Britain? That honour goes to St Osyth in Essex, averaging 507mm per annum:

http://www.stosyth.g...type=drybritain

Liverpool is somewhere in the 750-800mm range.

There are no official records to prove anything in a small place like this. Since we happen to be in the Shadow of Liverpool (15 odd miles to the West, it's automatically assumed everything in this radius is identical which it really isn't. It's a really strange one because Liverpool tends to protect anything coming in from the West such as heavy persistent rain. Which results in far more rain for Liverpool than places further East. Last year we recorded 573mm of rain, and this total only came about due to the severe heavy rain last year during a two month period which often saw very heavy rain some times for days on end during July and August. In fact it was either Liverpool or some place close by to the west that even broke records for rain fall in any given time. 20mm fell in just under 15 mins! Absolute madness.

January / November and December for Liverpool is the wettest period of the year averaging around 65mm during those months, but going down to just 40mm during June to July. On average Liverpool has 670mm, which isn't too far from your amount, but still significantly less. Last year was less, due to the drought which was quite severe. No meaningful rain fall fell from February through until July. United Utilities said that the region was under drought conditions and had not been this bad for almost 120 years. July and August made up for pretty much the whole year bizarrely enough.

Last year we recorded 573mm of rain which isn't much. But thing is though which the link you provided, it's ok them saying it's in the guiness book of records, but unless they had official records which they obviously did then it's a little far fetched to say it's the driest place in the UK, if for example other places don't have official records to prove anything. Just my opinion. Liverpool's weather is more or less what I would call that of a bay climate, where anything coming in from the west is likely to be heavy to very heavy, remember Liverpool is on a Hill, we are down almost at sea level so it does protect us from the worst the west has to offer. We have an estuary climate which tends to be more in the way of Drizzle than any other kind of rain, and where it can be raining to the east or west we can be stood under an umbrella its quite bizarre indeed.

What? 1 decent event?

Anyone for some skating?

http://news.bbc.co.u.../forecast/4233/

You shouldn't forget that we have gone years without any snow at all, so one should always be thankful for small mercies.

Actually bt, we had several outbreaks of snow, that if you where to calculate them all together would be around 15cm which

is not nothing. I wouldn't say it's been the driest, but certainly 'this' year has been a big let down.

The trouble with getting snow is that one always wants more and more of it. There is never enough of the stuff lol I know coz

I some times feel the same way too.

January and February has been pretty much what I said it would be, snow less and generally mild again ditto. I was hoping the

charts and weather would prove me wrong and just lash it down with snow and severe cold, but the further we get into this

month the more unlikely it becomes for any significant cold to arrive. It's nice to see the PV heading over towards Scandinavia

but what isn't nice to see is the high being pushed further NE over Scandinavia and over towards Siberia. Problem is, we might

get a shot at a spell of cold, but it's unlikely to last very long over the short range, with average temperatures rather than above

average which we've been having like 12/14C.

People keep saying Bartlett not going to happen, but as the days pass it's looking inevitable, as the high is pushed over to Siberia :(

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

So Hale is drier than St Osyth because no one can prove otherwise? Then I say West Derby is the driest place in Britain, sheltered by the ridge which separates it from the city centre. You can't tell me I'm wrong, because you can't prove it. Just 307mm recorded there last year. ;)

And Hale is nothing like 15 miles away from Liverpool (it's barely two miles away from Speke for starters). That's about the distance between Liverpool and Warrington!

Posted

Radio 1 just said a few cms of snow for Western England on Monday.

???

Posted

Posted
  • Location: Stalybridge, Eastern Greater Manchester @ 165 metres, 541 feet

I hate to say it but I think Monday may be the last chance for any measurable snow (unless you move to the Scottish Highlands), looking at the models it keeps putting back any real cold each day and now sends it almost into March and beyond, If it wasn't for December this winter would of been boring, so thank god for that. The sun is now noticeably stronger, the days are getting longer, it feels positively springlike with even the birds are chirping more now.

Posted

I hate to say it but I think Monday may be the last chance for any measurable snow (unless you move to the Scottish Highlands), looking at the models it keeps putting back any real cold each day and now sends it almost into March and beyond, If it wasn't for December this winter would of been boring, so thank god for that. The sun is now noticeably stronger, the days are getting longer, it feels positively springlike with even the birds are chirping more now.

Never dismiss chances of snow until May. A potent northerly in March and April often delivers the snow goods - even after mild winter seasons. Northerlies become much more likely during March and April - easterlies by then rarely deliver, but northerlies still pack a mighty punch. Easter 08 saw a northerly which delivered heavy snow.

We have not had a true northerly all winter season so far.

Posted

Never dismiss chances of snow until May. A potent northerly in March and April often delivers the snow goods - even after mild winter seasons. Northerlies become much more likely during March and April - easterlies by then rarely deliver, but northerlies still pack a mighty punch. Easter 08 saw a northerly which delivered heavy snow.

We have not had a true northerly all winter season so far.

True but the last time it snowed here in May was in 1996 and that was only about 2cm if that...........we had a decent snowfall in late March 2008 woke up one morning to a good 5 inches but by the end of the day it had all melted in the warmish sun, personally Northerlies are crap here in this part of the region, you may do better in Cumbria as your further west - we are too sheltered here in the Pennines as all we get is sunshine from a Northerly with little cloud........we do far far better from an Easterly or a weather system off the Atlantic bumping into the cold air, for northerly the North York moors are prob the best place to be along with the Cairngorms and probably Snowdonia

Posted

damp dull this morning when i woke up but sun trying to peep through from time to time.

temp 6c.

Edited by snowwhere?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

what a lovely day. Sunny and 11c. Spring has come at last, if only for today

Posted

Looks like some of us will of had a covering of snow by Monday night.

Posted

True but the last time it snowed here in May was in 1996 and that was only about 2cm if that...........we had a decent snowfall in late March 2008 woke up one morning to a good 5 inches but by the end of the day it had all melted in the warmish sun, personally Northerlies are crap here in this part of the region, you may do better in Cumbria as your further west - we are too sheltered here in the Pennines as all we get is sunshine from a Northerly with little cloud........we do far far better from an Easterly or a weather system off the Atlantic bumping into the cold air, for northerly the North York moors are prob the best place to be along with the Cairngorms and probably Snowdonia

Your forgetting a more sustained and therefore more likely to be potent northerly often throws in trough development and every chance of polar low development - when these features occur, snow will fall widespread regardless of how sheltered you may be. Northerlies in Apr 98, 99 delivered trough action to many places. I agree though a weaker northerly flow will be more biased to producing snow showers nearer coastal parts such as north wales coast and northeast england coast.

All I will say is never discount a northerly in spring for delivering many a snowy surprise or two - I love northerlies whatever the time of year they are exciting and very unpredictable. I especially love them in early spring when they bring big cumulonimbus clouds and sudden showery downpours of hail and snow with rapid temp drop - sometimes a 6-8 degree drop in the space of a few minutes. What can be a pleasant feeling day in bright sunshine and temps of 8-9 degrees can suddenly turn into the bleakest of days with driving bitter winds blowing in heavy snow showers and blizzard conditions with temps down close to freezing - simply wonderful.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Friday evening/Saturday morning looking very intresting for our region good possibility of some snow

Yes the easterly looks like it wont happen now,but there again do we want an easterly for our region?

for an IMBY view no,because an easterly for me normally delivers frosty nights and sunny days

give me a battle ground situation any day

maybe this weekend will be the last chance saloon at delivering some white stuff before winter

bows out.

C.S

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

XC Weather offering us a snowy day next Sat (unless there's been a mind change in the last few mins).

I wonder whether it's just up in the higher ground. And will the snow be there for all half term for the kids?

I agree with Damianslaw. There's an awful lot of winter to come yet.

We have two family members with birthdays mid March. We always refer to that period as their "Litlle Winter". Regularly snow falling then. Don't put your sledges away yet.

Posted

XC Weather offering us a snowy day next Sat (unless there's been a mind change in the last few mins).

I wonder whether it's just up in the higher ground. And will the snow be there for all half term for the kids?

I agree with Damianslaw. There's an awful lot of winter to come yet.

We have two family members with birthdays mid March. We always refer to that period as their "Litlle Winter". Regularly snow falling then. Don't put your sledges away yet.

If GFS is correct wax them sledges for Saturday bitterly cold day temp around 0c with plenty of the white stuff around

C.S

Posted

still raining and met office have warnings issued for scotland and ireland for snow. noooooooooot fair.

If GFS is correct wax them sledges for Saturday bitterly cold day temp around 0c with plenty of the white stuff around

C.S

i will believe it when i see it.

i have been watching dancing on ice for yrs now and everytime thats on its been snowing outside, infact that was the time i first ever experianced thunder snow. feels weird this time without the snow.

Posted

still raining and met office have warnings issued for scotland and ireland for snow. noooooooooot fair.

i will believe it when i see it.

i have been watching dancing on ice for yrs now and everytime thats on its been snowing outside, infact that was the time i first ever experianced thunder snow. feels weird this time without the snow.

So will i LOL

Just watched country tracks forecast and unless you live in scotland nothing to get excited about

briefly mentioned the weekend and said possible snow for the north and east but much uncertainty

and one to watch

C.S

Before the will it/wont it for the weekend

intrestingly the NAE has snow over the region tomorrow evening

Also GFS seems to agree with the NAE

C.S

Posted

So will i LOL

Just watched country tracks forecast and unless you live in scotland nothing to get excited about

briefly mentioned the weekend and said possible snow for the north and east but much uncertainty

and one to watch

C.S

Before the will it/wont it for the weekend

intrestingly the NAE has snow over the region tomorrow evening

Also GFS seems to agree with the NAE

C.S

it probably wont LOL more chance of it actually raining actual cats and dogs.

Edited by snowwhere?

Posted

it probably wont LOL more chance of it actually raining actual cats and dogs.

Elevation will be the key,but dont forget which direction those colder uppers are coming from

C.S