Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Slightly Less Cold Spell Discussion Part 21

Cookie

Posted

just look how fast the clouds are moving mental like the skys on fast foward.

wow that was a flippin bad gust scared me did that.

Edited by snowwhere?

Posted

Saw this incident on the local Whaley Bridge website, reports of cars being swamped at the bottom of the road earlier yesterday aswell. Considering we are on a hill, that's quite something.

"In the early hours of this morning (Sunday 6th February) the heavy recent rains caused a large section of the railway embankment on New Road, Buxworth to slide away and onto the road. The orad from Bridgemont into Buxworth is currently closed because of this. The road is currently closed while contractors to Network Rail are busily attempting to stabilise the embankment, which seems to mean an awful lot of limestone of about 3"-4" size is going to be placed behind concrete slabs. The photographs below show the slip, and the activities underway earlier while we still had some semblance of daylight.

I do not think that any passenger trains are running on the line through Chinley, and limestone traffic towards New Mills is running on the "wrong line", with a 4mph speed restriction past the point where the embankment is unsafe.

They are currently planning to have the railway sufficiently safe by 6am Monday morning to allow the passenger services to resume. As Buxworth is only accessible for lorries over 11ft high via New Road, this means that local farms won't be able to get supplies until the road is reopened, and HGVS going to or from the Wire Works are similarly affected."

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Winds have veered more to the west now, picking up again after a brief lull

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Winds are still getting stronger here. Gusts of 40-50mph are being felt, not at home so I don't know the exact figure.

Even the odd 60mph, as evidently shown by the Liverpool airport station, although they are much more open than I am.

Posted

Gusts picking up again here after something of a lull. I'm on a hill and the shape of the building helps create a wind tunnel effect, so it's been pretty wild here.

I've noticed that temperatures have been dropping since about 9am in most parts of the region.

Posted

No wonder it`s so windy today looking at the fax,it`s the 4th day in a row here where gales have occured.

Nothing quite like the other night,but somewhat stonger to yesterday morning.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/bracka.gif

Storm force was at aberaron 64mean upto 84mph

NW england look to have had there strongest winds of the winter on XC crosby etc.

10.1c was the early temps now 6.6c and still cloudy and no rain today.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Very strong WNW'ly winds 2 min average 37mph with gusts 50-55mph

top gust so far today 62.6mph

Temp fallen 3 degrees in the last hour down to 4.5c now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

The temperature has dropped substantially since this morning. Dropping at a rate of -1.0Chr. Currently 7.3C. Barometer rising very rapidly.

Edited by Lancashire Lass

Posted

A couple of trees are down in Vale Park, Wallasey. I've just been down to the Mersey at high tide and waves are immense: not a good idea to walk along the edge of the promenade unless you want a cold bath! I took some pictures but I can't upload them right now, as I've lost the USB cable. :rolleyes:

I see the sun's done a runner again. So much for that bright afternoon.

Posted

went to sainsburys what a performance people had to get help to get to the store door really windy worse than the last few days and night for sure.

temp 6c.

just been out again to pick up my son from school had real trouble trying to walk in the gusts and they took my breath away.

all in all not a good hair day.

also raining again here after an hours rest.

also whilst at the supermarket i was watching a carrier bag have a lot of fun in the wind LOL.

off now to cook my lamb chops.

Edited by snowwhere?

Posted

still raining

currently 5c.

barometer rising.

Edited by snowwhere?

Posted

been on the MT lately ???? they are all disagreeing which each again about the so called "Eastlery" which is in FI at the moment. :rolleyes:

barometer now falling slowly.

Edited by snowwhere?

Posted

http://www.google.co...mT9L_QFKi_oNPBw

Hopefully coming our wayhelp.gif

yeah that would be good.

finally has stopped raining now.

temp 4c.

wind w-18mph

humidity 87%.

Edited by snowwhere?

Posted

Could have sworn the sun tried to make an appearance this afternoon - or was I dreaming... The rain finally relented at lunchtime to leave a dry bright and quite cool afternoon.

Early this evening we saw one or two sharp showers. Now the skies are clearing and it is quite cold at about 3 degrees. May see an air frost tonight temps look likely to drop to about freezing. So our first cold night since last Monday. Tomorrow could be a lovely day with lots of sunshine and light winds - pity it is Tuesday and I won't be able to make use of it..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Put BBC news on. Report on recent weather coming at the end.

Posted

Still some way away at the moment, but signals are starting to look good post Sunday night, temps drop, isotherm look good, UK under 528 dam, temps hovering between -1C/-2C right through Monday. Then it gets quite a bit messy with the GFS clearly having little clue what to do with the system.

Cold and frequent snowy weather from the WNW looks to be the order of the day / night whichever. Still, it's a bit early to say much of anything else about it, it could be gone before the end of the week..but looking at things, it's looking like a decent indicator, with lots of cold coming from the East...we'll see.

About last night and yesterday.

Stayed dry for much of the late morning / afternoon and night. Max temp flipped out at 13.2C around lunch time before dipping back down to a steady 10C by 2pm. Wind remained relatively strong at 33mph gusting 51mph continued through the night last night, stayed dry temperature was still steady at 10C before dropping to 7.6C at 5am this morning. Top Temperature today 12.3C.

Wind died off completely by this evening. Clear conditions temperature down to 3.5C and still dropping. Hopefully a decent clear night ahead to allow a ground frost.

All the rain the NW had over the past 4 or 5 days, incredibly we only recorded 1.9mm over the entire period. Was mostly all dry apart from very light drizzle that didn't want to hang around.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Still some way away at the moment, but signals are starting to look good post Sunday night, temps drop, isotherm look good, UK under 528 dam, temps hovering between -1C/-2C right through Monday. Then it gets quite a bit messy with the GFS clearly having little clue what to do with the system.

Cold and frequent snowy weather from the WNW looks to be the order of the day / night whichever. Still, it's a bit early to say much of anything else about it, it could be gone before the end of the week..but looking at things, it's looking like a decent indicator, with lots of cold coming from the East...we'll see.

About last night and yesterday.

Stayed dry for much of the late morning / afternoon and night. Max temp flipped out at 13.2C around lunch time before dipping back down to a steady 10C by 2pm. Wind remained relatively strong at 33mph gusting 51mph continued through the night last night, stayed dry temperature was still steady at 10C before dropping to 7.6C at 5am this morning. Top Temperature today 12.3C.

Wind died off completely by this evening. Clear conditions temperature down to 3.5C and still dropping. Hopefully a decent clear night ahead to allow a ground frost.

All the rain the NW had over the past 4 or 5 days, incredibly we only recorded 1.9mm over the entire period. Was mostly all dry apart from very light drizzle that didn't want to hang around.

Quite agree with all of above HC,after Monday things do look messy

tend to find with the GFS it show run after run of cold and then drops it all like a stone within the reliable time frame

we need ukmo and ECM to come on board fully

for a cold easterly i would say 50/50 at the moment.

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

temp currently 7 c but has been in double figures for part of the night here on the coast

Posted

A chilly start here temp is 1.3c with a light ground frost, make the most of today as its back to rain tomorrow