Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Slightly Less Cold Spell Discussion Part 21

Cookie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

not windy here at the moment a bit breezy but nothing major.

10c here now.

EDIT the wind has just picked up ever so slightly.

what kind of wind speeds are expected tonight i have not had time to check today as i have had a lot on, then a trip to the dentist and a root canal filling didnt help. thanks

wind just picked up even more now can here a gate banging about.

hey lancs lass hows it your end???????

Hey, wind really picking up. Not currently raining at the moment. My weather station is in a fairly sheltered position surrounded by houses so I never get a truly accurate wind speed. During the gales in November I recorded my highest gust of 36mph but out in the open it was actually double that. I'm getting gusts of around 20mph currently so it's more like 35-40mph.

Edited by Lancashire Lass

Posted

hi im not sure what the speed is but its not as bad as lastnight.

stay safe everyone

a little bit more windy than last time i posted. temp dropped to 9c

wind 33mph so nowt major.

how is it in wrexham????

Edited by snowwhere?

Posted

Its been a wild 24-36 hours. We had some very strong winds and gales yesterday evening with alot of debris about. Today has seen these conditions continue with very strong winds throughout, these have intensified in recent hours. Current heavy rain - rivers are beginning to swell again.

This is the kind of weather we had got so used too in those wet windy mild atlantic driven winters, but unusually it feels like a shock to the system after a very benign winter so far. Indeed we haven't seen any really wet wild weather in winter since winter 07/08.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Just got back from shopping and the car temp was showing a very balmy 11c

Going of the models tonight all that cold next week is heading towards Greece

Oh the joys of model watching LOL

C.S

Posted

Do you think its sometimes knee jerk to say climate is changing, on the basis of a couple of cold winters...im not saying it is or isnt but....as a gardener it used to drive me mad seeing people suggesting the planting of exotics on the basis of 'milder winters'....just because we had 20 year of milder winters.....they were always going to come back.....20 years is the blink of an eye.

I hear what your saying completely. And unless those people who made up the climate rules or guidelines have changed things drastically to allow an average summer of 26C which is well beyond a tolerance of 22C. This is over a protracted period of time, not say just 20 years. We have with some good consistency hot summers more than we have cool ones (last year despite it being a lot wetter in the north west and cloudy (July and I think end of September?), we still managed to reach the 26C average day time summer temperature, at least where I live we did at any rate.) I am not sure that even within a 10 or 15 year period that we can just say ignore it, because really it's just anomalous or bucking the trend it will return to what it was previously. The problem is, it's been pretty obvious over the past 10 winters, since I bothered to keep stats here. Each winter has on average been 1 degree colder than the year before and the weather has become more scandinavian orientated with scandi highs rather than Atlantic dominated ones, which you'd expect within a temperate climate / air mass?.

I don't want to turn this thread into anything other than the weather for winter lol..give me snow.

Point being is that winter is getting colder each year here, (hard to believe with jan and feb so far!!) and summer has been ticking along with an average of 26C. I am actually considering last month very abnormal the first 2 weeks (very high temps for the time of year, then the gradual cooling down to give us that negative CET at the end of month)

As mad it sounds I honestly believe our climate is changing, to what I don't exactly know. Further I have no idea how long climate conditions exist. Back in the 1700's or 1800's winters where very severe and usually seemed to happen like clockwork each year. Not sure how warm it was in the summer, but I doubt it was anywhere near the average we manage to sustain year on year these days..did the UK switch to a cold climate, then back to temperate and now its got itself messed up and can't decide if its going to eventually be sub tropical or cold again? I just find it rather interesting. And to me its very very confusing lol

Now id better get back on topic lol

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Nowhere near as bad as that here. Had just 12.6mm since midnight last night.

Now over 40mm since midnight adding to the 26mm we had yesterday between 4pm and midnight, and it's adding up to a pretty rubbish time to have had a huge load of firewood delivered.

Posted

The wind shows no sign whatsoever of abating, and if anything seems to be getting stronger. It's been going non-stop since yesterday afternoon - a very impressive wind event in terms of duration.

There are lots of leaves and even some branches being tossed around in Berry Street, despite the fact there are no trees for a million miles.

Posted

The wind shows no sign whatsoever of abating, and if anything seems to be getting stronger. It's been going non-stop since yesterday afternoon - a very impressive wind event in terms of duration.

There are lots of leaves and even some branches being tossed around in Berry Street, despite the fact there are no trees for a million miles.

Where is everyone as yes the last 90minutes here have given the strongest wind since January 2007,been out and it`s dangerous.

Damage will be down tonight,there was someone killed last night in the midlands from a fallen tree.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Trees really starting to bend now, max gust has only been 33.7mph, so it isn't that bad. :(

Posted

The wind has been getting slowly stronger through the night were now on 50mph not to impressive but its deffo getting stronger.

Posted

aye wind really was wild about 11pm last night, thought things where going to literally blow over. Didn't bother to check wind speed, must have been 50/60mph or maybe more in the gusts. Had no rain, though it tried to drizzle and just gave up after a few light spots. Remained remarkably mild tho at 12C at midnight. Cooled down to 9C at about 530pm, been steady for the past hour.

Wish this mildness and wind would disappear and the cold weather would return..this time I am ready for any severe cold lol

but it is likely to be colder or much colder than the average over the whole of the U.K at first
I am sure we've had mild temps since the 1st of the month?

Keep seeing signs for it to cool down, problem though is there enough cold air to make any difference? Cmon PV get your backside over to scandinavia or the north sea lol

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

chucked it down all night and still is the wind got quite bad lastnight but imo not as bad as the night before.

still quite breezy/blustery but no mega winds here.

7c here now.

humidity 100%.

Edited by snowwhere?

Posted

chucked it down all night and still is the wind got quite bad lastnight but imo not as bad as the night before.

still quite breezy/blustery but no mega winds here.

7c here now.

humidity 100%.

Same here. Very windy last night but not as bad as the previous night. It has been raining for much of the night and is still continuing to do so.

Edited by Lancashire Lass

Posted

I think pretty much the whole of the North West is under a huge swathe of yellow and orange.

Posted

Oh dear the NW looks like it is going to see some more thoroughly miserable weather in the next 48 hours. The cuplrit a long wave trough which stems all the way back to Canada going nowhere over the region sending bouts of heavy rain as waves develop on it.

Here we have had some heavy bouts of rain on and off so far today, it does look like it will become a bit lighter in the coming hours, would will pep up again later and tomorrow is looking a proper washout with heavy persistant rain. Expecting a fair few flood warnings to appear by tomorrow.

One positive is the wind has died down markedly compared to Thursday and yesterday, so it feels a bit more pleasant in this respect.

A weekend for staying indoors, after a couple of very dry ones, it reminds me of the weekend of the 15/16 Jan,the only other weekend so far this winter which was a washout and one for staying away from the hills. We have been rather spolit so far this winter in terms of good weekends for getting out and about, starting with the superb last weekend of November.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted

Non-stop rain pretty much all day, been steady and persistant. Supposed we had it coming after a intially dormant atlantic in the first half of winter. Winds have died down so it looks like this band of rain is going nowhere fast. Indeed the BBC forcasts it to move like snails pace north tomorrow and then come back down over us again for Monday.

Posted

proper chucking down here now has not stopped all day really but more heavy now, no wind though.

all this precipitation and temps far too high for snow, imagine if they were right for snow we would get pasted.

7c here now.

humidity 100%.

Edited by snowwhere?

Posted

really busy on here wow....as i type theres only me here.

im going now as im not talking to myself, i will get locked up for that.

anyhows nice talking to you all, should do it again sometime. LOL.

Posted

Relentless rain all day. Up to 41mm since early morning and its still leathering it down. River Mersey looking very impressive as the lower riverbank has disappeared under the rising waters likewise the Transpennine trail. Surprising deluge after the relative dry winter.

Just checked out the weather view on Google Earth. Our ribbon of cloud extends to the east coast of the states approx. 4077miles. Is there a name for these ridiculously long fronts?

Edited by Ian Keith

Posted

Hello again,

Do you think we will see lying snow again this winter - I am starting to get a bit desperate now as we have not had a day of lying snow in Liverpool since the beginning of January and that is after a cracking December. Yes I know December was fantastic but I still can grasp how the synoptics that favour snow suddenly disappear after the beginning of January but at the other side of the coin I know that lying snow is still possible were I live until April - April 2008 produced lying snow and that was after a mild, snowless winter and also we had March 2006 as well which was a good event with 20cm or snow in Liverpool - I think this video shows the March 2006 event in Liverpool:

So do you think we will see some snow with cold in the next few weeks especially considering La Nina often favours a cold/blocked early spring - 2008 being a good example.

Luke

Posted

Today's word of the day:

WET

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/wet

adj. wet·ter, wet·test

1. Covered or soaked with a liquid, such as water.

2. Not yet dry or firm: wet paint.

3. Stored or preserved in liquid.

4. Used or prepared with water or other liquids.

5. a. Rainy, humid, or foggy: wet weather.

b. Characterized by frequent or heavy precipitation: a wet climate

.6. Informal Allowing the sale of alcoholic beverages: a wet county.

7. Characterized by the use or presence of water or liquid reagents: wet chemistry.

n.

1. Something that wets; moisture.

2. Rainy or snowy weather: go out into the wet.

3. Informal One who supports the legality of the production and sale of alcoholic beverages.

v. wet or wet·ted, wet·ting, wets

v.tr.

1. To make wet; dampen: wet a sponge.

2. To make (a bed or one's clothes) wet by urinating.

v.intr.

1. To become wet.

2. To urinate.

Idioms: all wet Slang Entirely mistaken.

wet behind the ears Inexperienced; green.

wet (one's) whistle Informal To take a drink.

[Middle English, from Old English waeligmac.gift; see wed-1 in Indo-European roots.]

Synonyms: wet, damp, moist, dank, humid

These adjectives mean covered with or saturated with liquid. Wet describes not only what is covered or soaked (a wet sponge) but also what is not yet dry (wet paint). Damp and moist both mean slightly wet, but damp often implies an unpleasant clamminess: a cold, damp cellar; a moist breeze.

Dank emphasizes disagreeable, often unhealthful wetness: a dank cave.

Humid refers to an unpleasantly high degree of moisture in the atmosphere: hot, humid weather

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

It's been raining heavily non-stop since last night, although the winds have died down. A coat and an umbrella weren't enough to stop me getting soaked to the bone while out this afternoon.

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted

stopped raining this morning but was chucking it down all night.

woke up this morning and it has finnally stopped but its very windy worse than what it was meant to be on Friday night.

current temp 10c.

Today's word of the day:

WET

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/wet

adj. wet·ter, wet·test

1. Covered or soaked with a liquid, such as water.

2. Not yet dry or firm: wet paint.

3. Stored or preserved in liquid.

4. Used or prepared with water or other liquids.

5. a. Rainy, humid, or foggy: wet weather.

b. Characterized by frequent or heavy precipitation: a wet climate

.6. Informal Allowing the sale of alcoholic beverages: a wet county.

7. Characterized by the use or presence of water or liquid reagents: wet chemistry.

n.

1. Something that wets; moisture.

2. Rainy or snowy weather: go out into the wet.

3. Informal One who supports the legality of the production and sale of alcoholic beverages.

v. wet or wet·ted, wet·ting, wets

v.tr.

1. To make wet; dampen: wet a sponge.

2. To make (a bed or one's clothes) wet by urinating.

v.intr.

1. To become wet.

2. To urinate.

Idioms: all wet Slang Entirely mistaken.

wet behind the ears Inexperienced; green.

wet (one's) whistle Informal To take a drink.

[Middle English, from Old English waeligmac.gift; see wed-1 in Indo-European roots.]

Synonyms: wet, damp, moist, dank, humid

These adjectives mean covered with or saturated with liquid. Wet describes not only what is covered or soaked (a wet sponge) but also what is not yet dry (wet paint). Damp and moist both mean slightly wet, but damp often implies an unpleasant clamminess: a cold, damp cellar; a moist breeze.

Dank emphasizes disagreeable, often unhealthful wetness: a dank cave.

Humid refers to an unpleasantly high degree of moisture in the atmosphere: hot, humid weather

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

It's been raining heavily non-stop since last night, although the winds have died down. A coat and an umbrella weren't enough to stop me getting soaked to the bone while out this afternoon.

WOW you must of been bored LOL.

Edited by snowwhere?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Good morning all

over 40hrs of moderate rain here in south cheshire current temp 10.3c

if only it was snow LOL........we would be the envy of this forum....i wonder how much snow this system would have dumped on us??????

C.S

A nice 06z from the GFS

Nothing set in stone and all in FI but even the experienced posters are starting to take note......and that will do for me

will see later if the trend continues

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Winter will be back. Mark my words.

Some serious trending going on now, it really wouldn't surprise me if this one left December looking mild.

(15th onwards)