Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Slightly Less Cold Spell Discussion Part 21

Cookie

Posted

hello everyone (im being sarcastic by the way as there is only me on here as i write this) thats a sign of crappy weather if nothing else.

got to 6.5c here a lunch.

current temp 7c.

fed up now with all this boring weather.

i even mopped the floors this afternoon and opened the door to let them dry as it wasnt really that cold but i wish i was inside moppping my floors with the central heating on because it was -5c outside, but thats not going to happen this winter as i have just popped into the model thread and i was scanning the first page and the first thing i clapped eyes on were the words "not looking good for the coldies on here" so i really could not be bothered to read the rest and i got the picture.

oh well now i have had my little rant for this evening i will go and get some tea, bacon and egg butties mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

my forcast is for the weather to be CHANGABLE. LOL

Edited by snowwhere?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Really?

Nope.

Don't lose hope. It's game on from mid-month.

This Winter will not go quietly, I can assure you. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Nope.

Only if you believe the ECM FI Lol :nonono:

C.S

Posted

Nope.

Well Lets face it.That aint really a hard statement to make.You have a 50/50 chance of being right.I could say it will whimper out like a scolded puppy.At least one of us will be right.

There is an awful lot of POTENTIAL on SOME of tonights runs.However it is ALL in FI and NOT in what most people would call the reliable timeframe.Charts at the moment are only good for spotting trends IMO and not for forecasting with any confidence past +96hrs.I will admit though it would be great if even some of the charts came off from tonight as it shows some MEGA cold air slipping in from the South East on the ECM which is what we really need to start any prolonged cold spell.

Posted

Ah damn.

Oh well. Looks like winter is over for us here in the North West (not like it began)

Had 1 decent snow event, so in terms of snow, what a crap winter!

As I initially said my prediction came off because what I saw back then (Jan) is what I am seeing now.

Loose High pressure, no real cold anywhere, mild atlantic lows smacking into us, producing rain

course it doesn't help we have warm air.

Looks like this is going to be around for at least the next week. But since we lost the high pressure,

it does allow us another window of opportunity to pull down some colder conditions from the north

west from time to time producing some snow..its also getting even colder along the eastern seaboard

of canada, along with a very severe winter warning for very heavy snow during the next 36 hours upto 50cm

kinda makes our few cm's embarrassing we even talked about it lols.

Still got time for some snow, but even this we are running out of as the sun gets higher and warmer each day.

As for being a crap winter, it started early and lasted through much of December breaking cold records everywhere.

We probably have to get used to the fact the climate is changing, and the current season changes will either start

early or late..as witnessed over the past 6 or 7 years.

Last year, I remember autumn starting early around the middle of September to be honest. Leaves had already

started changing colours and by the start of October around my way there where no leaves left on the trees, then

we had the frosts arrive, and by the beginning of November winter had set in..and it just got worse from there..

right through to around Xmas Day...by the end of the first week of January, it felt like spring had sprung early, apart

from high pressure which got stuck halfway through the month, to give us an extended dry spell (in some locations),

and frosts (again some locations).

Interesting that Joebastadi , and other pro casters in namerica is going with a big winter (2011) for most places including NW Europe...shame January

was a washout, and maybe Feb...wonder what this month and next will bring lol

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Meto have issued advisory for severe gales friday for parts of NW england but the winds are forecast to be stronger thursday evening/night... 70mph gusts for my location 18.00 thursday. But no mention of thursday

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/nw/nw_forecast_warnings.html?from=rss&sn=12749

They must have got there days mixed up!

Edited by james12

Posted

a high of 9c today and raining with gusts.

wheres my snow? (does the snow dance). :p

Edited by snowwhere?

Posted
  • Location: Stalybridge, Eastern Greater Manchester @ 165 metres, 541 feet

Don't give up hope yet - I have pictures of April 1981 (when I was almost 2) when we had about two feet in as many days, the week before it was warm apparently, so don't fret people it's only Feb.....looking for sustained cold? it's getting a bit late for that especially by the end of this month, but for snow it's not, I've known a covering of snow as late as May here.

Edited by Jay Lad

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Dianne said chance of snow tonight for us.

It's 9.2C here atm, so she must of had one too many lol.

Posted

its funny you should say that as my dad told me lastnight that he had heard it on the weather we would have heavy snow i thought he had been drinking lol.

surley they would have advisories out but theres nothing is there??

9c here.

anyone else experiencing these gales, they are quite bad here at the moment. could be a bit of structual damage at this rate.

flash warnings out for snow for Scotland.(lucky beggers)

we also have an avisory out for FRI for stong gales 60/70mph winds.

Edited by snowwhere?

Posted

Don't give up hope yet - I have pictures of April 1981 (when I was almost 2) when we had about two feet in as many days, the week before it was warm apparently, so don't fret people it's only Feb.....looking for sustained cold? it's getting a bit late for that especially by the end of this month, but for snow it's not, I've known a covering of snow as late as May here.

im not giving up hope in fact thats all i have been doing hoping, but when you read the model thread its quite depressing.

Posted

Just been reading the story in the forcasting forum about the storm hitting America as we speakcold.gif some places like Tulsa had 41" in a day!!!! The snow storm cloud is 2700 miles wideshok.gif and 30 plus states are in for a hammering. But the best part is forecasters say "Theres worse to come".

My old grandparents always said if usa got bad snow we would get it about a week later clap.gif and the storm is moving from west america to east, heading our way. NOW THATS HOPINGw00t.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Better get the BBQ out then LOl :lol:

C.S

Posted

Rogue chance of a bit of sleety wet snow in any heavy showers we catch overnight, but I suspect any snow cover will be reserved for ground above about 600m.

Its a pity the developing shortwave system out to our west has occured as it was looking like a potentially wintry day tomorrow with some frequent sleet and snow showers - curse all this energy steamrolling out of Canada, it looks like shortwaves will scupper any sustained polar maritime attack in the coming days.

I'm certainly not throwing in the towel on any further heavy snow this winter - far from it, watch the atlantic gradually tire itself out by the middle of the month - it usually does in feb. Synoptics will then become much more favourable for snow.

Until then case of more patience..

Posted

Just been reading the story in the forcasting forum about the storm hitting America as we speakcold.gif some places like Tulsa had 41" in a day!!!! The snow storm cloud is 2700 miles wideshok.gif and 30 plus states are in for a hammering. But the best part is forecasters say "Theres worse to come".

My old grandparents always said if usa got bad snow we would get it about a week later clap.gif and the storm is moving from west america to east, heading our way. NOW THATS HOPINGw00t.gif

About 95% of the time that's not the case, when cold snowy weather exits the USA and Canada and makes it way across the Atlantic it gets moderated by the mild gulf stream which in turn brings rain once it arrives in the UK rather than snow, infact what we have had today was from the USA and originally it was snow when it was across the Eastern part of the US. And what we get this week coming up will also be from the USA and it will be rain, unfortunately.

Posted

About 95% of the time that's not the case, when cold snowy weather exits the USA and Canada and makes it way across the Atlantic it gets moderated by the mild gulf stream which in turn brings rain once it arrives in the UK rather than snow, infact what we have had today was from the USA and originally it was snow when it was across the Eastern part of the US. And what we get this week coming up will also be from the USA and it will be rain, unfortunately.

Ahh but your not my grandparents and my hope lives ongood.gif

Posted

Ahh but your not my grandparents and my hope lives ongood.gif

We can all hope yes :D

Posted

drizzly rain here this morning and a slight breeze a bit different to lastnight really gusty.

temp 3c.

Edited by snowwhere?

Posted

and the models are now showing a return to cold in about a weeks time :whistling: ooh i love grandparents

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Gales and heavy rain for us as from tomorrow until Sunday according to Meto.