Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Convective Weather Discussion Uk

Coast

Posted

I sense a slight chance today for us..........but seems quite mimimal (but you never know) still got plenty of chance in the next 4 months if today doesn't happen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Feels very humid out there today with hardly any wind and a lot of thundery cloud around: Alt-cas and fracto-cu. Something has to kick off today!

Posted

There is a nice burst of lightning / storm activity off the coast of France in the extreme SW of the channel according to the Meteox radar... A harbringer of things to come for the SW / Wales ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

We just had a bunch of Jelly fish lookig clouds to our north, NE and NW, looked pretty cool and I think it was from a dying shower too :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Feels much more humid and clammy today and have had a few big spots of rain but other than that just high cloud and very hazy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

There's definitely a change in conditions today, anyone know what the clouds in my shot mean?

Storms later in the day? :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

There's definitely a change in conditions today, anyone know what the clouds in my shot mean?

Looks like Altocumulus to me. Can be a pre-cursor to afternoon thunderstorms according to my Met textbook :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Yes SW England could see some rumbles in the next few hours if those little storms survive...they are over fairly cold water and still going strong

Posted

Looks like Altocumulus to me. Can be a pre-cursor to afternoon thunderstorms according to my Met textbook :D

Interesting, i'll take another shot in an hour and see whats changed...

Posted

Well it appears to be Ac, possibly a touch of Ac Cas (difficult to tell from photo), so it probably just means a touch of medium level instability. Could be a pre-cursor to thunderstorms but I would have thought very unlikely in this case. It's a very similar sky down here with the early Ac hanging around and the chances of thunderstorms here this PM are zilch. Dodgy business reading met text books Nick, bad for the health.:D

Posted

Well it appears to be Ac, possibly a touch of Ac Cas (difficult to tell from photo), so it probably just means a touch of medium level instability. Could be a pre-cursor to thunderstorms but I would have thought very unlikely in this case. It's a very similar sky down here with the early Ac hanging around and the chances of thunderstorms here this PM are zilch. Dodgy business reading met text books Nick, bad for the health.:D

Cheers for that, I must admit whilst i'd love a storm, I don't rate my chances today, it seems the wind has picked up a fair bit recently and so yesterdays humidity has been replaced with a fresher feel - though actual temperatures are still pretty much the same. I guess its the cold front to the west beginning to make its presence felt.

Edited by pinball wizard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Ac Cas here in Cumbria, and it feels quite muggy. 9 degrees hotter than when I left Newcastle.

Posted

Some interesting clouds going up over inland suffolk at the mo,looking north from here, just been to jaywick beach around 20c with a light east wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

My weather station must be wronge, The temperature is higher than humid atm!! 25.6 C and 24% humidity which cant be good conditions for a storm :(

Posted

GFS breaks out about 350 CAPE in Wiltshire with temps of 22.5 and dew points of 9.

Currently temps are 22.5 with dewpoints of 6-9 across Wiltshire.

Struggling in the right direction but I think we are too far south and west today.

Edited by dave48

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

That Ac Cas has exploded and is blocking out the sun!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

:blush:some jelly fish type alto cumuls here, gave a few spots of rain, ive heard thunder from these type of clouds in the past, they were larger though ,more like orphan anvils with mamma, visability has improved since yesterday, maybe saturday or sunday will bring a chance of storms to East Anglia

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Going a bit dark here now with increasingly grey skies from the south and southwest and a gusty breeze at times. Temperature on the drop too a bit from an earlier high of 23.1C.

Posted

Temperature rocketing past my 2011 record (now 22.3c). But dew point is really struggling to make it into double figures, and is actually decreasing, not a good sign.

Posted

Temperature rocketing past my 2011 record (now 22.3c). But dew point is really struggling to make it into double figures, and is actually decreasing, not a good sign.

it is raining in cardiff now :), No thunder Yet

Posted

Something seems to be brewing in the SW Midlands.