Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Weather Discussion Uk

Coast

Posted

Just had a lovely little storm! Saw some fabulous fork lightning too - best was a 'duo' going sideways across the sky! I was despondent earlier but much happier now - even found a fiver on the way back from the shop, not a bad end to the day!! :drinks:

Yeah I saw that 'duo' flash, looked like it stretched right across the southern Sky! Sadly it was all over so quickly! Seems it just developed just for us whistling.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

snap of GFS 18z

convective cloud cover - showing quite alot of it in the south even by 0000hrs

post-11361-0-15720900-1304110473_thumb.g

next lifted index - showing unstable atmosphere at 0000hrs as is now but this gives te potential for alot more activity

post-11361-0-62125100-1304110555_thumb.g

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

There's some nice looking cells in the channel, they seem to be travelling and aligned right to stay in open sea and miss land though, seems such a waste really.. In fact I was watching out my window to the south and sometimes you see very faint flashes, and there was a faint rumble that sounded just like thunder, but would have travelled a surprising distance..

This is what I'll do to see any kind of lightning lol.

Posted

Total bust along here, just been sat in the car on the over cliff in Bournemouth, not a sniff of anything distant or close by bar convective rain!

Posted

If you follow the radar the main precipitation is turning west from just along the coast from the Isle of Wight which should get a dollop in 30mts. The steering wind at 500mbs?

Edited by weather ship

Posted

There's some nice looking cells in the channel, they seem to be travelling and aligned right to stay in open sea and miss land though, seems such a waste really.. In fact I was watching out my window to the south and sometimes you see very faint flashes, and there was a faint rumble that sounded just like thunder, but would have travelled a surprising distance..

This is what I'll do to see any kind of lightning lol.

sound travels further on water (learnt that as I'm in Cardiff Yacht Club :D), I've noticed about the cells you are talking about. probably will stay in the open sea,

does anyone know if cardiff will get anything tonight??

Edited by viking_smb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!

Total bust along here, just been sat in the car on the over cliff in Bournemouth, dont ginot a sniff of anything distant or close by bar convective rain!

NP

Don't give up yet still time for something to happen, I'm down at Christchurch quay looking over to the iow, fingers crossed

sound travels further on water (learnt that as I'm in Cardiff Yacht Club :D), I've noticed about the cells you are talking about. probably will stay in the open sea,

does anyone know if cardiff will get anything tonight??

I wouldn't have thought so, it looks to be further too far south as it pushes west at the moment.

Posted

Yep, just had a not so bright flash followed about a minute later by a definite distant rumble! And another rumble as I type this..:D

that could be the storm coming from the east and according to blitzontung, there is strikes below exeter

Edited by viking_smb

Posted

All the parties round here ended rather quickly as I dived under the stairs, how long will I have to stay here? Must admit I'm not as petrified as I used to be I think it's because I have a decent phone and can radar watch.

Steve

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

NP

Don't give up yet still time for something to happen, I'm down at Christchurch quay looking over to the iow, fingers crossed

Definitely don't give up - I nearly did but I was pleasantly surprised!! Now enjoying a tipple and listening to Parisienne Walkways by Gary Moore, bliss! :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

post-11361-0-04973400-1304111341_thumb.p

i know their is alot of activity going on at the moment but i just want to pick out something heading towards the Kent coast now, ah image is 2000hrs! il be back in a minute!

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

All the parties round here ended rather quickly as I dived under the stairs, how long will I have to stay here? Must admit I'm not as petrified as I used to be I think it's because I have a decent phone and can radar watch.

Steve

It's all quiet now Steve so you're probably ok, I won't pretend to know how you feel apart from imagining being surrounded by spiders which are my phobia!

Posted

It's all quiet now Steve so you're probably ok, I won't pretend to know how you feel apart from imagining being surrounded by spiders which are my phobia!

according to iow weather there were 2 Interclouds in herefordshire, can anyone confirm?

Edited by viking_smb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

glad my negativity paid off, quite a decent show of lightning about an hour ago, only lasted for about 10 minutes- sad its over, im guessing thats it for tonight ( on west sussex coast)?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow, and lovely summer Sun

got flashing going on here and in the lightning way ;)

Posted

that could be the storm coming from the east and according to blitzontung, there is strikes below exeter

Interesting thanks, I'm watching showers to the east with hope. These faint flashes are definitely coming from the south though with several faint rumbles heard now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder & Lightning, Snow, Wind

http://www.wareham-weather.co.uk/lightning.html very very confusing?? Why is there a batch of lightning on this moving North east up from the channel ??????

I Suspect as the lightning is above or near the reciver the system gets confused and flashes up strikes where they should not be...... correct me if i'm wrong

Posted

I Suspect as the lightning is above or near the reciver the system gets confused and flashes up strikes where they should not be...... correct me if i'm wrong

That is right yeah, the detectors struggle when there is a lot of lightning that is close and coming from various directions.Especially the Boltek ones.

Edited by dave48