Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Weather Discussion Uk

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!

Hi - I'm in X'Church and we had 2 flashes about 15 minutes ago approx. 4 miles to the NW.

just got back home from wasting my time waiting for a storm to arrive :doh:

i did see 2 flashes from the corner of my eye but didn't hear any thunder so i dismissed it as someone taking a photo.

still not giving up yet, but it won't be long.

Posted

I am guessing same one I saw too from a distance ..... was really bright and filled the whole south east of sky from my viewpoint! Thats all I saw didnt see another flash after

No not seen or heard anything since...lol that one must of used all the energy up

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Looks like some mid level convection possibly drifting into east Anglia (heading towards Norwich)...There are no echoes on radar, but the sat24 infra-red imagery does show cold, suggesting deep and high cloud tops....might just be worth keeping an eye on this...If it does amount to anything then it will track westwards across the midlands into mid wales....Nothing definite mind, just something to watch for maybe

May be false but Blitzortung has an sferic just off the East Anglian coast now.

Guest Quantumsnow

Still a few very faint flashes occasionally here, big rain drops too. Good to hear others have enjoyed some activity tonight

Posted

demographics, topagraphy, any number of factors. seen anymore?

Possibly, I just thought as they were more elevated they wouldn't be effected.

I popped out side but they were getting less more infrequent and the bright echoes are moving further W in the channel, so now I have the lights off with the window open listening for any kind of thunder in case one of the sharp showers a bit nearer produce.

It's just showers fired around S Dorset this afternoon while the one near Milton Keynes exploded, but these died away, then a few lots have done the same this evening. Either that or they are too far south and slide more SW into the channel, even though maps like the Met Offices Invent have them moving more WNW. Oh well its been so long since I've seen a decent storm.

(in the slight hope this reverse psychology and negativity makes nature produce a storm to prove me wrong!)

Edit: and as soon as I say that the line to my E coming into Dorset suddenly strengthens on the NetW radar!

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

just got back home from wasting my time waiting for a storm to arrive :doh:

i did see 2 flashes from the corner of my eye but didn't hear any thunder so i dismissed it as someone taking a photo.

still not giving up yet, but it won't be long.

I feel for you. I was on the clifftop at Highcliffe and saw nothing, although the atmosphere felt electric. Drove home and saw lightning twice as I was unloadingthe car. How lucky is that!

Posted

that is serious.

Yeah certainly not something I want to go through again, the blue light run to the hospital wasn't exactly calming...

Luckily they managed to get it back to normal within about 20 minutes using drugs and tests showed no lasting damage but I have yearly checkups to make sure.

Steve

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Why has anything to my east coming near me constantly been weakening all day? I'm pretty sure the weather would actually break the laws of physics to stop me getting a decent thunderstorm.. :(

Looking at the skywarn GFS chart plotter, it shows little MLCAPE (mid-atmospheric level convective energy) in your region...Storms have fired over the near continent in an area of high surface and mid-level CAPE...As diurnal heating wanes towards sundown, the surface based storms die away, but the elevated storms are not especially influenced by day time heating....The mid-level 'survivors' have then trundled along the south coastline, gradually weakening as they have encountered weakening mid-level convection.....They can invigorate due to nocturnal cooling, but still need some mid-level instability to sustain....I think ...lol

Posted

Yeah certainly not something I want to go through again, the blue light run to the hospital wasn't exactly calming...

Luckily they managed to get it back to normal within about 20 minutes using drugs and tests showed no lasting damage but I have yearly checkups to make sure.

Steve

Glad you are ok mate, I'm a first aider, only because of sea cadets and I'm a member of Cardiff Yacht Club- I drive the safetyboat :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Hmm, well I wouldn't call tonight a complete let down, heard distant rumbles around 7pm to my ESE/SE but nothing much for the next hour or 2 except it came over really dark around 8pm with a few spots of rain and another distant rumble, the sky looked quite interesting too, had like this wavey type look to the clouds. by about 9pm I got home and noticed couple of lightning strikes was getting close with a heavy pulse of rain. We popped up culver and even when I left my house I heard a distant rumble, when we got up there, there was this huge strike infact it was 5 strikes in 1. There was a couple more flashes and saw 1 more CG , and a couple of rumbles but that was it. Rain got heavy but passed threw pretty quickly, but hey ho not a bad effort for April :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Hmm, well I wouldn't call tonight a complete let down, heard distant rumbles around 7pm to my ESE/SE but nothing much for the next hour or 2 except it came over really dark around 8pm with a few spots of rain and another distant rumble, the sky looked quite interesting too, had like this wavey type look to the clouds. by about 9pm I got home and noticed couple of lightning strikes was getting close with a heavy pulse of rain. We popped up culver and even when I left my house I heard a distant rumble, when we got up there, there was this huge strike infact it was 5 strikes in 1. There was a couple more flashes and saw 1 more CG , and a couple of rumbles but that was it. Rain got heavy but passed threw pretty quickly, but hey ho not a bad effort for April :D

April? it's been more like June!:air_kiss:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Glad you are ok mate, I'm a first aider, only because of sea cadets and I'm a member of Cardiff Yacht Club- I drive the safetyboat :D

Up untill i was 17yrs old i was quite scared of storms,then i became more fascinated than scared, but panick is even more scarey than the thing that made you scared ...

im surprised there are so many ppl in this thread atm ,as there isnt any storms lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

April? it's been more like June!:air_kiss:

Haha, tell you what thought if these conditions was in June, I gurentee you, the storms will be a lot more potent :p

Posted

Big drops of rain starting to hit the roof windows, just seems to be whats left of the earlier storms over Kent & Sussex channel coasts nonono.gif

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

new storm forecast now issued from midnight through tomorrow: http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=209c0ac4de034f451cd4390281b60874

Just had a short but intense downpour here in south London, with what sounded like hail mixed-in. No thunder though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Haha, tell you what thought if these conditions was in June, I gurentee you, the storms will be a lot more potent :p

sheet lightning earlier and temps above 18C for over 2 weeks? still april? but yeah there would be more punch :aggressive: in those t-storms

Posted

im surprised there are so many ppl in this thread atm ,as there isnt any storms lol

We had a nice storm here earlier but I didn't have a surge protector for my laptop so had to turn it off. Some nice thunder and lightning and lots of lovely heavy rain. Just wonderful as I have just planted out a load of plants in the garden and thunderstorm rain brings down nitrogen that is a good fertiliser for them.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T-storms

Ah, it's all about the potential :D

Still really surprised how things panned out today - it was pretty much overcast all day, with a few breaks in cloud from about 2pm onwards. It was still very hazy but all of a sudden heard thunder at around 3:30pm - temps had just hit ~17C. Sure enough, a fairly decent cell had popped up (still not visible as such - couldn't see the tops or anything, which is why it caught me out - but it was certainly darker looking east!), and the thunder was fairly constant to begin with. When I posted earlier, I reported not being able to see any lightning, only hearing the thunder; maybe due to the haze/visibility, but probably beause it was CC (the thunder wasn't very loud/"rumbly", as you'd expect with CGs), but this situation soon changed.

This cell must've initiated in like 20-30 mins, quite impressive. It moved NWwards pretty rapidly - people in MK reporting getting a storm pretty shortly afterwards.

I am definitely pleased (it probably shows!) but that's because 1) it's only April and 2) it's really the first decent storm we've seen here since 2009 - and that's saying something as it was only around for about 10 mins!

Edited by simonskee

Posted

well BBC put clear skies here for me tonight, but theres nothing but cloud out there and has a orangey tinge. Fingers crossed, best storms are the ones that wake you in the night :whistling: haha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

We had a nice storm here earlier but I didn't have a surge protector for my laptop so had to turn it off. Some nice thunder and lightning and lots of lovely heavy rain. Just wonderful as I have just planted out a load of plants in the garden and thunderstorm rain brings down nitrogen that is a good fertiliser for them.

Hello! I was thinking about you earlier, I hope you're well! If we can't have snow, storms will do :yahoo:

Posted

Hello! I was thinking about you earlier, I hope you're well! If we can't have snow, storms will do :yahoo:

Hi slb, nice to hear from you. Yep I love storms, Snowstorms first, thunderstorms second and windstorms for the autumn. Can't have them now and destroy my plants.

Broke a rib pulling up a small plant 6 weeks ago so wonderful to get gardening again at last and lots of lovely rain now would help me pull the weeds out,

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Sferic activity picking up in that cluster of cells in Lyme Bay heading in towards Torbay/Exeter.

Posted

oh well - maybe tomorrow afternoon for surrey??? heres hoping that theres one of those early morning storms tomorrow and i'm off work so can enjoy it! any chance of stuff firing up overnight??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

oh well - maybe tomorrow afternoon for surrey??? heres hoping that theres one of those early morning storms tomorrow and i'm off work so can enjoy it! any chance of stuff firing up overnight??

The storm risk does extend through tomorow, but the higher risk being central southern/sw england saturday, expect the unexpected, then we have saturday night!:help: