Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Chat And Discussion

Paul

Posted

Not sure if its me, but it looks like it might be going slightly more northerly now??

Yeah, I noticed that.

Nice to here some reports of thunder from Somerset!

Posted

I have a bad feeling everything is going to end up east of here as usual, weve missed out time and time again here so im staying negative until i hear thunder.

Posted

heavy rain, wild wind, plenty thunder no blitzen seen yet tho,no need to water the garden tonite !!!!

I've got the rain and wind but no thunder yet.

Ah, nevermind. I just heard some. :)

The wind really has picked up from almost nothing.

Posted

I don't agree- Norfolk may look near-certain to stay dry today, but late Saturday/early Sunday looks like having a lot of heavy rain which may potentially be thundery, particularly as some of it is set to be imported from the near-Continent.

I don't expect to see a proper thunderstorm here in Norwich- maybe spells of rain with the odd rumble here and there at most- but you never know!

Well, unless the storm off France starts turning North, we'll have a Kent clipper on our hands in how it's moved in the last hour.

And if that happens, there'll be more here than forecast.

I hope you are right, need the rain

Posted

It has greyed over here in Basingstoke. Fingers crossed for some thunderstorms this evening. The band of radar heading north from the channel looks ferocious

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I have a bad feeling everything is going to end up east of here as usual, weve missed out time and time again here so im staying negative until i hear thunder.

I would say you have a very good chance actually as well as much of the West Midlands region.

Posted

Just had our first rumble here in Norton Fitzwarren near Taunton. Raining quite hard too. Wind also picking up.

Posted

Satellite shows a feature having crossed the normandy coast and approaching the south west. The positioning and timing of this make current model forecasts a little bit off. I am also watching the stuff over Spain as the residuals of these storms could potentially affect the outcome tomorrow. Looking at the satellite I would be concerned about some flash flooding heading towards the Somerset area, but it does depend on whether those storms fade and become elevated. Next up would be parts of Wales and onwards toward Manchester. A further band of slightly weaker activity should cross the Midlands by the look of it, although there does look to be some line convection around the jersey area at the moment which is interesting. Plenty of radar watching to do over the next few hours.

As for tomorrow, then the mid level lapse rates are not that impressive and upper levels are fairly saturated, which could make things rather messy. At the moment I am taking the models with a pinch of salt with storm risk areas being generically further north. More tomorrow.

Posted

Not sure if its me, but it looks like it might be going slightly more northerly now??

it's coming our way for sure :drinks:

Posted

much the same... I lterally looked way from the skys for 1 minute,, looKED BACK RIGHT NOW AND i HAVE VERY DARK SKIES,,,, gONNA TKA SOME PHOTOS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Looks like a few showers are breaking out ahead of the main heavy stuff over Wales

Posted

First rumbles audible here now

SFERICS detection a bit hit and miss on some sites - there is more activity than suggested

I think some elevated cells are breaking out ahead of the main band - no rain from them yet but can be seen clearly

Edited by chapmanslade

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

Ah that's good to hear Jon ,the thunder is really near me now .but then again the thunder could miss me altogether.Plenty of rain though.Ilminster sounds really good.OOOOO the wind really picking up.So just maybe?????

Posted

Can see the towering clouds behind a darkening sky, anyone who is around where I am see this too? South West Direction... Looks fantastic!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I know it's not heading this way but it feels stormy outside.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

it's coming our way for sure :drinks:

Yep though that stuff further west from the band over somerset doesn't look to have much, if any activity besides heavy rain??

Posted

Individual elevated cell just to my west heading rapidly over Westbury - main band still 20 minutes away to the south

Guest Quantumsnow

Evening all. Just got home and looked at the radar for the first time today, wow someone's in for some fun if that stuff in the channel doesn't die a death. From the small amount I've read here some of you have had a bit already so that's a start.

Very warm here, though gone grey and the breeze has picked up. Good luck for the weekend peeps!

Posted

May have spoken too soon. Going ominously dark to the south over the Goyt Valley (Peak District) moving Northwards.

Posted

Yep though that stuff further west from the band over somerset doesn't look to have much, if any activity besides heavy rain??

look on raintoday radar - seems to be developing all the time as it approaches - plenty of strikes of lightning from their also on isle of wight radar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Individual elevated cell just to my west heading rapidly over Westbury - main band still 20 minutes away to the south

im on the west side of that in frome, looks impressive.

fromey

if you look on rain today its picked that cell up.

Edited by fromey

Posted

Had some nice heavy rain for a bit, but disappointing from the thunder front, and a bit annoying if it's now producing thunder to my N/NE in Somerset.

Only heard one distant rumble when it was to the south. Doesn't really look much stronger on radar now than when it crossed over here, but the 'thunder producing' cells with heavier echoes look to have passed to my east.

Still, a nice bit of rain at long last!

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted

May have spoken too soon. Going ominously dark to the south over the Goyt Valley (Peak District) moving Northwards.

That'll be the stuff that's gone over here. It maybe developing more, just gave some heavy spots here.