Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Chat And Discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T-storms

I love how the MetO have for days been stating thunderstorms will happen in just about all of southern England into the midlands overnight tonight, then lo and behold, they've now changed their text summary today (this afternoon even?) to read:

Heavy, potentially thundery showers will move north through southwest England, Wales, and into Northern Ireland and Scotland tonight. The rest of England will be largely dry with only a few showers in places.

:whistling::wallbash:

I am absolutely not believing their forecast and am instead rolling with just about every other source that says it *will* happen ;)

Going to be an interesting evening of radar watching etc! Good luck to all chasing this event...

Posted

my weather station lightning page Boltek LD250 http://www.bicesterw...uk/StormVue.php

and 2 links http://www.strikesta.../sslt/sslt.html hover cursor over it and you click and zoom in

http://www.strikestareu.com/

Edited by gpspete

Posted
Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

my weather station lightning page Boltek LD250 http://www.bicesterw...uk/StormVue.php

and 2 links http://www.strikesta.../sslt/sslt.html hover cursor over it and you click and zoom in

http://www.strikestareu.com/

Thanks Pete, been looking for a new boltek page, normally use IOW, but it's well out of calibration, plus bicesters not to far from MK :)

Posted

Thanks for the links

I have looked at all of these and they all show either blue skies or some cloud but no storms

Ironically the met office say this for the south east for tonight:

Cloud and showers, or longer spells of rain, will reach Hampshire and the Isle of Wight this evening. The showers or spells of rain will sometimes be heavy and possibly thundery, and spread to other counties through the night. Minimum temperature 12 °C.

but no mention of anything stormy in the south west (where everyone thinks the real action will be)

Showers in most parts this evening will clear away with a mainly dry night following. Some clear spells in the east, but cloudier with some mist and fog on southwestern coasts. Minimum temperature 12 °C.

Strange!!!

Edited by Weather wizard

Posted

Things are starting to kick off in France and over the channel - here we go boys and girls :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Things are starting to kick off in France and over the channel - here we go boys and girls :yahoo:

Hi Andy, just signed in for the first time since the Winter ..what link are you looking at for the storms over France ..i've got my beer to hand and i'm ready for a night

of storm watching here in Rhoose

Posted

There is nothing better than a good old storm. I'll watch the radar all night tonight, hoping the storms will reach me. If they don't, there's always tomorrow. :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

What are the cells that have popped up over North Wales (Snowdonia)?

Edited by SalopWatcher

Posted

Thanks for the links

I have looked at all of these and they all show either blue skies or some cloud but no storms

Ironically the met office say this for the south east for tonight:

Cloud and showers, or longer spells of rain, will reach Hampshire and the Isle of Wight this evening. The showers or spells of rain will sometimes be heavy and possibly thundery, and spread to other counties through the night. Minimum temperature 12 °C.

but no mention of anything stormy in the south west (where everyone thinks the real action will be)

Showers in most parts this evening will clear away with a mainly dry night following. Some clear spells in the east, but cloudier with some mist and fog on southwestern coasts. Minimum temperature 12 °C.

Strange!!!

If there is one thing I would ever criticize the Met Office about, is that sometimes they don't use the word thunderstorms or even 'thundery' when it is expected to be thundery and I'm sure they expect it to be too. For example last Saturday the afternoon before they only said 'showers' when there was a line of thunderstorms from East Devon to the N coats of Devon/Cornwall with some places getting about 5 one after another. This must have been clear from the CAPE.

They have mentioned it in some forecasts and the BBC have in some too, also the National Parks forecast has the word 'thundery' for tomorrow but not the general one for some reason.

Have just got home and am watching the stuff to the south with interest, hopefully it won't slip too far east. No sun now as it is behind an increasingly thick cirrostratus sheet. Temp 16.8C

Posted

Anyone want to meet up on Portsdown Hill near Pompey later to see these storms come in..?

Is Mick's Monster Burger Van still there? :whistling:

Posted

Hi Andy, just signed in for the first time since the Winter ..what link are you looking at for the storms over France ..i've got my beer to hand and i'm ready for a night

I'm on Meto radar/rain today radar and isle of wight lightning radar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

I'm looking at the convection that has just fired south of La Rochelle. It only has 7-800 miles to go before it gets here :rofl:

On a more serious note it's encouraging to see the convection line running so far south and it should give a small measure of hope to us in the south east for some rumbles come dawn.

Posted

SAT 24 is pretty good for animated satellite pics too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

cheers Andy

Posted

Agreed, I always use SAT 24 for incoming storms, very accurate! Lightning is not always the best, but it gives you a general idea!

Doesn't seem to be showing up on mine today though... cc_confused.gif

Posted

Really liking developments to the S/SW now exiting France and hading N/NE over the Channel *.

Lots of heat over the land here for them to feed on even if they do weaken to some extent as they cross the Channel,

and I wouldn't expect too much weakening because they're mid-high based :) which often leads to some spectacular

lightning.

The sun setting around 21.00 will mean some cooling of the cloud tops and that can also spark off even better activity,

looking at the direction and speed of movement the first showers/storms should be hitting the Sotuh coasts of Devon /

Dorset and probably Hampshire around that time!

* = wonder if something of an MCS could form?

Posted

Channel Island's will be hit soon looks very close to them. :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Looking at all of that unless something develops more towards the Holland border then i think SE will miss it all.