Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

El Gordo! - Spanish Plume Thunderstorm Discussion 2

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

http://bit.ly/kPOBsS

Live Streaming from later on in the link above :drinks:

Ah! Was just about to ask for links. Cheers for that. :good:

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Around what time will you be streaming? And where are you thinking of going?

Posted

The small area of low pressure did develop in the south west as can be seen on the 0600z chart. Moderate rain from Ns has recently started in these parts. The Invent pretty good on that.:good:

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

I'll be using my eyes out by the coast, who needs streaming now muahaha

Posted

Usual disclaimers (I make no apologies if I'm wrong, not that experienced etc :D)...but yes I'd say the chances are high and it's not often I say that!

I personally am heading to the coast straight after work (somewhere around Camber-Dymchurch) in the hope I might grab some lightning shots before the deluge moves in :D

yep i know! a storms course is not easy to predict! good luck harry! i'll keep my fingers crossed for you and im sure you will get some amazing footage!!!

Posted

hope the storms hang off till this evening want to film the seals on Blakeney Point from a kayak late this afternoon, suspect looking at models/charts storms will initiate to my west later then move eastwards across North Norfolk then hope for some nice anvil crawlers as storms pass over me i have my complete storm chase outfit with me so everything crossed as this is the best storm setup in uk for years

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

morning all,

25.1c here already and it looks like its kicking off in the sw approaches already, it gone very milky here but very humid.

heres hoping for a good storm or 2.

any one down in the sw at the moment?

fromey

Posted

Around what time will you be streaming? And where are you thinking of going?

Probably from around 2-3pm today, and just going with the flow at the moment, pretty worried this Cirrus Canopy might affect anything Surface wise from that bloody MCS In the Channel!

Had the same last month in Kansas, MCS Formed in the Texas Panhandle and the Cirrus Overspread killed and surpressed Convection :cray:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

morning all.

My first post on here and hope to follow with my first U.K. chase later.

In bournemouth and its hot and becoming very hazy from the Sw with a light Se wind. small cumulus visible to my S and Nw.

I have to work 11am - 2pm then 6pm onwards so hope to get out for a few hours this afternoon if anything goes within 1hr drive but thinking about getting my shift covered so I could go a bit further afield.

Thinking about heading Winchester way at about 2pm hoping for the best, what you guys think.

I'd stay put. I think the stuff further East is worth chasing this evening, but you say you have to work. IMO best stay on the coast in Bournemouth to see if we get anything early doors off of the Channel. Best of luck!

Posted

I am really stuck on what to do today. Whether to start heading east into Kent or East Anglia or stay put on the south coast and hope something happens later today.

Problem is my laptop is not charging up through the converter in the car so once the laptop is dead I am stuck with only my mobile.

Posted

i would stick to the south coast looking at the latest Met Radar, there is more convection builing behind this MCS in the channel which would move into bournemouth and brighton area.

Posted

Thanks for the mention in Irish Weather Online:

The European Storm Forecast Experiment (ESTOFEX) has issued a ‘level one’ weather threat for parts of Britain on Monday and Tuesday. The agency is forecasting large hail, damaging wind gusts and tornadoes in the region, which saw temperatures peak at 29c on Sunday. According to ESTOFEX, which provides a daily storm forecast on Irish Weather Online, the first storms should develop over southeast England in the afternoon hours Monday, gradually increasing in coverage as the day and evening progresses. It also said that the storms will affect northern parts of France, as well as the Benelux counties (Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg).

“The severe threat with the convection over the British Isles in the afternoon and evening hours should be dominated by well-organized multicells and supercells … it seems that isolated large hail and damaging winds will occur, and perhaps also a brief tornado or two.â€

“As the storms progress into the (English) Channel and expand across N France, the severe threat should shift to mainly large hail, though the anticipated elevated nature of the storms may limit the overall severe threat somewhat.†Meanwhile, the UK Met Office (UKMO) also issued a weather warning (yellow alert) Sunday night. The alert relates to Yorkshire and Humber, North East England, London and South East England, East of England and the East Midlands.

According to the UKMO: “Heavy showers and thunderstorms are expected to develop in places during Monday afternoon and evening, persisting through into Tuesday. These have the potential to bring localised rainfall totals of 25-50 mm in a few hours, with a risk of flash flooding and large hail.â€

Netweather.tv also issued a severe weather alert Monday morning. “A few scattered thundery showers look likely to develop during the afternoon across England and Wales as instability increases from the SW, with an isolated risk of localised large rainfall totals in a short space of time bringing a risk of localised flooding. “However, the main risk indicated by models this evening appears to be later on Monday evening and overnight into Tuesday as an area heavy rain and thunderstorms looks to develop from the SW across central southern and SE England then move NE across parts of the E Midlands, Lincolnshire and E Anglia. There is some uncertainty on timing and spatial extent of these storms. But any storms could be capable of producing large hail, strong wind gusts and excessive rainfall, with up to 20-30mm falling in a few hours – leading to a risk of flash flooding and hazardous driving conditionsâ€.

http://www.irishweatheronline.com/news/storms/uk-on-storm-alert-tornadoes-and-large-hail-possible/21711.html

Posted

Probably from around 2-3pm today, and just going with the flow at the moment, pretty worried this Cirrus Canopy might affect anything Surface wise from that bloody MCS In the Channel!

Had the same last month in Kansas, MCS Formed in the Texas Panhandle and the Cirrus Overspread killed and surpressed Convection :cray:

The cluster heading into the SW seems have a bit of northerly oompf to it! Am hopeful this will keep any cirro-crap away :D still crystal blue skies here in London and roasting hot! :D

Posted

I'd stay put. I think the stuff further East is worth chasing this evening, but you say you have to work. IMO best stay on the coast in Bournemouth to see if we get anything early doors off of the Channel. Best of luck!

Thanks for the reply. Will be taking the camera and laptop to work with me in Christchurch so will be ready to go as soon as I get out of work. Have text a work mate to see If I can get cover so fingers crossed.

And best of luck to you and everyone else.

Posted

cambridgshiire and peterborough mentioned as a grea place for storms  today, YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! finally might get out of the no storms club :D' />' />

Edited by hughsey

Posted

Took this picture a second ago..Don't know what cloud this is ... :/

A pretty good one when one is hoping for storms :D lol

Posted

i would stick to the south coast looking at the latest Met Radar, there is more convection builing behind this MCS in the channel which would move into bournemouth and brighton area.

Just been looking at that. I think a plan might be to let it come to me then follow it. I best go and fill the car up in a bit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Beginning to cloud over with sunshine becoming a bit hazier. Lots of altocumulus castellanus about and quite grey to the south.