Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere 2011/12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

But going by the anomaly map this doesn't seem to be unusual for this time of year? Unless the anomaly ap is older than the snow extent map.

the majority of the snow cover shown is very patchy and thin..for example where i am we have a dusting at best and have had only one minor snow event this season and that was some 3 weeks ago...this time last year there was a foot of snow on the ground if not more...no snow forecast in the next 7-10 days either

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Latest from Cryosphere Today

SeaIce12-12-11.png

Posted

Morning all!

Well looks as if we may see a 'whitening' of the southern British Isles at the end of this week......................we live in hope! :p

Here's your update anyways.....

14thdec2011.gif

14thdec2011na.gif

14thdec2011alas.gif

14thdec2011anom.png

Posted

I see the snow in Troodos Mountains in Cyprus didn't quite make a pixel! But here's what it looks like anyway: http://www.skicyprus.com/webcam/

Reefseeker

Posted

the majority of the snow cover shown is very patchy and thin..for example where i am we have a dusting at best and have had only one minor snow event this season and that was some 3 weeks ago...this time last year there was a foot of snow on the ground if not more...no snow forecast in the next 7-10 days either

Another reason to be careful of reading too much into those charts is that if you were not from the UK, you would think most of Scotland is covered in snow when in reality its only the highlands that have got lying snow at the moment.

I'll be surprised if Hudson Bay is not fully iced over by the weekend as very cold air will pour in from Thursday onwards covering the remaning bits of open water. We probably should see the Hudson stright rapidly freeze over and join on with the ice in the Labadoar sea whilst the ice in the laptev/Kara Seas look like is going to struggle for quite a long time yet thanks to that large Russian high.

Posted

Evening all!

Well here's today's update and we all wait with baited breath to see if parts of the Midlands will turn white overnight?

Personally, I think we'll miss the snow here, we ALWAYS miss the snow! lol?! :p

15thdec2011.gif

15thdec2011na.gif

15thdec2011alas.gif

15thdec2011anaom.png

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

Lake

I would have thought Lake Baikal would be frozen by now, it's been surrounded by snow for about a month.

The lake's huge depth and volume of water gives it an extreme "thermal lag". Although there will probably be freezing in the margins, it will not be frozen over until early January, sometimes later - snowmobile excursions over it apparently run for the months of February and March, when the ice is thickest. The same lag means ice remains until May-June - and is also the reason for its relatively cool summer temps, too....maxes tend to be 15-20C. It's so big that it's a bit like a maritime climate - temps are generally 10C cooler in summer and 10C warmer in winter than surrounding areas away from its influence.

Here are some stats:

The earliest and latest times of freezing: December 14, 1877; February 6, 1959. Average date: January 9

The earliest and latest times of breakup: April 17, 1923; May 26, 1879. Average date: May 5

Info is mainly from this excellent website: http://www.bww.irk.ru/baikalclimate/baikalice.html . Click on the left-side links for masses more fascinating information.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ice and snow, heat and sun!

I haven't dared look out of the window after seeing this...Rnhemsnow.gif

Posted

Eeeeeek, the return of snowball earth....even Africa's got a covering!

Posted

Morning guys!

I haven't posted for a couple of days mainly due to there not being alot going on once one gets to this end of the season, so bi-daily updates are in order.

Today the thing that sticks out most about the images, is the huge areas of negative anomolies in both Europe and North America.

I believe we shall see them eroded soon and that it will be in spectacular fashion, especially across Europe.

The one thing I've noticed about watching the growth of snow and ice is that, when you have a good area of negative anomoly, the lag tends to bounce back or lurch forward if you will, a bit like holding a ruler back then letting it go.

So, the areas that are very much in the red at the moment, shall be covered and be in the positive after new year.

I hope I'm right but, that's just my take on it all :)

Here's your update, followed by last year's for comparison.

20THDEC2011.gif

20THDEC2011ALAS.gif

20THDEC2011NA.gif

20THDEC2011ANOM.png

As you can see, we have almost the exact opposite to last year's snow cover anomolies, which suggests a cold 'back end' to the winter imo.

19thdec2010-1.gif

19thdec2010anom.png

Posted

I haven't dared look out of the window after seeing this...Rnhemsnow.gif

I hasten to add that, before it was updated, this page was showing snow cover over the entire NH, Day After Tomorrow style!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow, Storms. Summer: Heat, Thunder

Its also showing the USSR still in existence amongst a number of other geographical errors!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

CT19-12-11.png

It seems pristine white snow is a thing of the past...

Posted

Sorry but what does this mean? I can't work out what is being shown here :S

When I first copied and pasted this page it was showing the whole of the northern hemisphere covered in snow, even tropical Africa! Unfortunately the page updates daily so has changed. Its still wrong though, showing the entire NH now snow free. Sorry for the confusion.

CT19-12-11.png

It seems pristine white snow is a thing of the past...

Edge of Darkness. I knew Gaia would do for us one day...

Posted

Evening all!

Well here's today's update.

There's been some positive anomoly clawed back over the past couple of days, nice to see all that snow over Germany's way, good job they've got all our money to pay for the heating ehem!

22nddec2011.gif

22nddec2011na.gif

22nddec2011alas.gif

22nddec2011anom.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Sweden now almost totally covered, Norway appears totally covered

cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

Edited by Aaron