Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Ex Ts Katia To Hit The Uk - Chat Thread 2

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Well if the Daily Express is correct tomorrow we'll all be getting battered by 50ft waves and 120mph sustained winds. laugh.png

Who do they think they are? Idiots.

Edited by Backtrack

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

I remember the Manchester windstorm 3 or 4 years back when a sting-jet paid a visit into town, it lulls you into a false sense of security at first thinking the gusts of 20/30mph will be the worst of it. things changed literally within a hour of stepping out the door, I was dodging fence panels coming at me, saw electricity cables arching on the tree branches before sparking out, tree's coming down in the park and I literally could hear them one by one as every gust got stronger. Infact many woodland areas locally still bear the scars of that day.

I'd hate to imagine how its going to be in the Northern cities tomorrow, not to mention coastal resorts and elevated communities up in Cumbria & western facing slopes of the Peak District.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Indeed! Major bore compared to 1987.

Any sort of severe weather in the south and the media claim it's carnage and the end of the world if it's going to hit London...

1987 excluded.

Posted

Don't forget with the Great Storm of 1987 it only rapidly deepened right at the last minute before crashing into the South of England, nothing is certain with these Storms until it actually arrives. Plus with this Storm still having alot of Tropical Moisture associated with it even at this late stage there is time for there to be a rapid strenghening.

Posted

I'm sure your daughter will be fine. As per usual, this has been blown up from proportion. I bet in 24 hours, other than the usual dramatic fence being blown down, that will be it from 'Katia'

I suspect you are right. The media like to hype this stuff up to the point of hysteria. I'm off to bed. Nite all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

Well if the Daily Express is correct tomorrow we'll all be getting battered my 50ft waves and 120mph sustained winds. laugh.png

Who do they think they are? Idiots.

And as if that wasn't bad enough no doubt they will have an EXCLUSIVE update that the anti-christ is also going to rise and smite us all

Posted

That is true Raidan and I won't lie it does seem exciting but the wider perspective needs to be taken sometimes I feel.

Posted

Worst I remember here was boxing day 1998, nothing has come close to it yet here. I remember going to my grandparents just 6 miles away the day after, and the entire street they lived in was like a bomb site, the roofs were almost bare, the chimney stacks (not just the chimney pots) were in the front gardens, everyones sheds and fences were gone, the brick building across the road was just a pile of bits, the ceilings inside the houses had given way, they were flexing so much, windows gave in. It was just chaos. Theres not even a weather station anywhere near them, except prestwick (12 miles away ) which recorded 105mph. The village they live in is 600-700ft above sea level....

Im just wondering what kind of windspeads are we talking to cause that amount of damage?!

I remember that storm, I was still living at home with my parents, the power went out, the cats were beside themselves and we thought the windows were going to blow in, very scary. Went out next day and there was so much damage, there was a big boat aground on Troon beach, countless trees/fences down. Haven't seen anything as bad since I don't think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Don't forget with the Great Storm of 1987 it only rapidly deepened right at the last minute before crashing into the South of England, nothing is certain with these Storms until it actually arrives. Plus with this Storm still having alot of Tropical Moisture associated with it even at this late stage there is time for there to be a rapid strenghening.

That is true, I would say that the odds of it deepening at the last hour like the 1987 storm did are very unlikely though. Don't forget as well that the computer models then weren't as accurate as they are nowadays as well.

Posted

That is true, I would say that the odds of it deepening at the last hour like the 1987 storm did are very unlikely though. Don't forget as well that the computer models then weren't as accurate as they are nowadays as well.

Can't rule anything out though Andy as the models aren't capable of forseeing a dramatic change ala 1987. These are more of a nowcasting situation.

Posted

rofl.gif andy!! i luv ya !!!

Thanks Loops biggrin.png You are about as nuts as me when it comes to snow events, checking the window every 5 mins, staying up till 4am to see if any snow arrives etc laugh.png

Posted

Currently deepened slightly on latest obvs, now 964mb from 966mb an hour ago.

Posted

Can't rule anything out though Andy as the models aren't capable of forseeing a dramatic change ala 1987. These are more of a nowcasting situation.

True, it could turn out worse than expected, we'll see what tomorrow brings, I know it will definitely be a windy day everywhere in the UK tomorrow though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and hot sun

anyone noticing steady rising winds in their area?

I live on the west coast of Wales near Llangranog beach, the sea is foaming, and it's very windy here.

Posted

I remember that storm, I was still living at home with my parents, the power went out, the cats were beside themselves and we thought the windows were going to blow in, very scary. Went out next day and there was so much damage, there was a big boat aground on Troon beach, countless trees/fences down. Haven't seen anything as bad since I don't think.

I also remember planes being overturned at Prestwick airport. It was certainly scary, I would have been around 9 then, and was fascinated with the weather, and that storm has made me wary of strong winds since, but NOTHING has come close to it here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

I highly doubt it, I think this will just be the equivalent of a normal storm in Winter, 40-80mph gusts and some rain. It doesn't look like it will any anything near that 1987 storm but that's just my opinion at the moment.

but with trees in full leaf

Posted

I'm not entirely sure what to expect from tomorrow, gusts of up to 58mph predicted by the met office... apparently this high because i'm east of the pennines and the gusts will pick up speed as they move downhill? i don't know how fast a gust has to be to cause some damage but i will probably inform if anything is sustained that i know of in my area :p probably just a few branches snapped off hopefully!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

its extratropical storm Kat..

Posted

Looking at the jet stream, I would still say that the models haven't got the track right. The jet stream would force that storm another 50 miles Southwards of what is currently modelled. I think also that it's still being underestimated by the GFS.

Posted
Looking at the jet stream, I would still say that the models haven't got the track right. The jet stream would force that storm another 50 miles Southwards of what is currently modelled. I think also that it's still being underestimated by the GFS.

The NAE was a bit further south with the depression and deeper than the GFS.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: It's all about the white stuff!

I'm not entirely sure what to expect from tomorrow, gusts of up to 58mph predicted by the met office... apparently this high because i'm east of the pennines and the gusts will pick up speed as they move downhill? i don't know how fast a gust has to be to cause some damage but i will probably inform if anything is sustained that i know of in my area blum.gif probably just a few branches snapped off hopefully!

Andy I am also in Jarrow, I set up my weather station this week so will hopefully get some accurate wind speeds from it. (If you have your own then ignore me :) )

Posted

The NAE was a bit further south with the depression and deeper than the GFS.

Then I would certainly bet on the NAE being correct.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Raining moderately here. Pressure has started to fall. Currently 1010.5hpa. I haven't really noticed the wind picking up as of yet.

Edited by Lancashire Lass