Cold?
IGNORED

Ex Ts Katia In The UK - Chat Thread 3

Coast

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

I have never seen a weather warning for 1cm of snowfall?

70-80mph gusts of wind are dangerous, whats your point?

You could try paying more attention to forecasts :p as for dangerous na, i've been in worse

Posted

Yep strongest winds of the year here for me. It seems quite a few of the Eastern side of the country are experiencing these Gusting winds to about 30-40mph. Wonder why places further west seem to have not had these gusts ??

lee effects Paul

Posted

I have never seen a weather warning for 1cm of snowfall?

70-80mph gusts of wind are dangerous, whats your point?

He dosent live in cumbria

I also remember january 2005, it was nasty, not quite as nasty as the boxing day '98 one wind wise, but much, much more rain

Posted

Tree down over the River Foss in York:

post-5508-0-82109100-1315825282_thumb.jp

"A SECTION of York city centre was closed and five parks were shut as Britain prepares to weather the worst storm in 15 years.

Police cornered off part of The Pavement this morning after a branch of a tree outside St Crux Parish Hall cracked after gusts battered parts of York and officers feared it could lead to a member of the public being injured."

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/9245410.Trees_down_as_high_winds_batter_region/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

It's just wind, I've actually walked in that 1987 ex hurricane and people are concerned over this?

i'm a bit confused by this post.....it says on your profile that you are 31 years old, i'm 32 and clearly remember the 1987 storm being an overnight/early hours event. In 1987 you were 7 years old! so u were having a nice stroll in an overnight storm at age 7?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

Yeah its just a blustery day here really.. pressure rising pretty quick and wind settling down.

Posted

Quite a bit of higher level windshear expected on the Eastern side of the country later as well:

blwindshear.curr.1600lst.d2.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

i'm a bit confused by this post.....it says on your profile that you are 31 years old, i'm 32 and clearly remember the 1987 storm being an overnight/early hours event. In 1987 you were 7 years old! so u were having a nice stroll in an overnight storm at age 7?

I was out with my family on the way back, I also remember another deep low pressure system with 100mph+ gusts but that was in the day time... 1991 i think, was amazing to experience couldn't stand up straight. I love severe conditions!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Nowt going on round here, the last proper storm I remember was Jan 2007 and before that Oct 2002/2003? Can't remember the year off the top of my head. The October storm ripped a corrugated iron roof off the neighbours shed and flung it across the garden! Not witnessed anything like that since.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Pretty windy in London, Road closed near Denmark Hill Station, kings college. Hospitak due to tree falling. Pretty big tree too, half cut up when I got their.

http://twitpic.com/6jtnjh

http://twitpic.com/6jtnzt

Posted

Very typicall of the Bbc and metoffice, talking of breezy conditions in the south yet you look at most of the observation centres for max wind speeds and gusts and Wales is by far receiving the strongest winds, yet not even a mention on the BBC. Very Windy in central and Southern Scotland, Northern Ireland and northern England. Will be pretty windy on the hills and coasts of North Wales also?.

Typical snubbing by the BBC, most weather sites snub Wales, just go to Weather Two, it's as if they have a phobia and I think I can count on one hand how many times they've mentioned Wales in their weather forecast within the past 2 years. Wales is either bunched with the Midlands or Southern Britain. Both are incorrect, the weather in Wales is very different, generally colder due to altitude in the Winter to be bunched with the South, generally milder during swestrly's to be bunch with the Midlands and their inland climate. Sorry for the rant but it's so frustrating.

Very windy here this morning reports of a few trees down and many fence panels have been smashed up, hardly breezy BBC.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Winter Storms, Heatwaves.

Getting a bit rough here now just outside Glasgow. A friend in Northern Ireland has texted to say that the public have been advised to stay out of all parks in Londonderry due to the number of trees that have already fallen.

Posted

After a breif calm down It's starting to get lively again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

You could try paying more attention to forecasts :p as for dangerous na, i've been in worse

If the Meto issued severe weather warnings for 1cm of snow then they would there would be the laughing stock and loose any credability.

Mind you if this storm was in your area then it would be classed as the end of the world in the media and news.

You have been in worse, what 24 years ago - 87? If thats the only storm worth mentioning for your area many many years ago then I feel sorry for you having such boring weather :)

Posted

Prestwick mean speed 36mph, gusting to just over 50mph, that was an hour ago.

Xc weathers live pressure chart has changed quite abit too

p1315825765.gif

Posted

You have been in worse, what 24 years ago - 87? If thats the only storm worth mentioning for your area many many years ago then I feel sorry for you having such boring weather smile.png

OK thanks for all that, shall we now get back to the topic title please? good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
I was out with my family on the way back, I also remember another deep low pressure system with 100mph+ gusts but that was in the day time... 1991 i think, was amazing to experience couldn't stand up straight. I love severe conditions!

1990 I imagine - the Burns Day storm?

When I was a nipper I had a terrifying experience when visiting Lewisham in SE London. I was walking along the High Street with my Mum and Dad and the wind blew me clean into the air! Luckily I was holding both their hands at the time, but it scared the living daylights out of me.

Not quite that today but was never meant to be.

Have to say the models, including the BBC and MetO handled the storm's track sublimely (thought I'd get that on the record now)

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Very typicall of the Bbc and metoffice, talking of breezy conditions in the south yet you look at most of the observation centres for max wind speeds and gusts and Wales is by far receiving the strongest winds, yet not even a mention on the BBC. Very Windy in central and Southern Scotland, Northern Ireland and northern England. Will be pretty windy on the hills and coasts of North Wales also?.

Typical snubbing by the BBC, most weather sites snub Wales, just go to Weather Two, it's as if they have a phobia and I think I can count on one hand how many times they've mentioned Wales in their weather forecast within the past 2 years. Wales is either bunched with the Midlands or Southern Britain. Both are incorrect, the weather in Wales is very different, generally colder due to altitude in the Winter to be bunched with the South, generally milder during swestrly's to be bunch with the Midlands and their inland climate. Sorry for the rant but it's so frustrating.

Very windy here this morning reports of a few trees down and many fence panels have been smashed up, hardly breezy BBC.

Bloody annoying is what I call it! Clearly the worst of the winds (so far) have been across North Wales but to hear the BBC you'd think it was a figment of our imaginations! Grrrr!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe t/ storms, rain, snow, wind!

Pretty windy down here in west dorset...wasn't expecting anything much down this far south???!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Strongest winds were after midnight were they not?

The other storm - was it Burns Day, 1990?

He has no idea didn't realise how old he is he was only 7!! LOL

Last post off topic.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Very surprised at the strength of the wind here. The strongest gust has been 58mph which is around 20mph more than I was expecting. Im nervously watching the huge trees near my flat sway in the wind as their only a few feet away!