Ex Ts Katia In The UK - Chat Thread 3

Coast

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

He has no idea didn't realise how old he is he was only 7!! LOL

Last post off topic.

No idea?, so what's your memory like does it not go back that far..

1990 that sounds like it, previous to that was the 1987 storm.. PROPER storms, this is just overhyped strong winds with a few tree's being blown down.

Ok I've said enough, sorry mods!. Enjoy doomsday ;)

Edited by Victor Meldrew

Posted

We are getting a slight breeze down here on the south coast. Cambernet has just recorded a gust at F8 36.7 knots that's 42.23361 mph which is higher than what it recorded during last weeks storm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Nothing more than a stiff breeze here, oh well!

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

gusting up to 45mph sus-30mph barometer 980.8hpa -0.6hpa/hr

Posted

Very typicall of the Bbc and metoffice, talking of breezy conditions in the south yet you look at most of the observation centres for max wind speeds and gusts and Wales is by far receiving the strongest winds, yet not even a mention on the BBC. Very Windy in central and Southern Scotland, Northern Ireland and northern England. Will be pretty windy on the hills and coasts of North Wales also?.

Typical snubbing by the BBC, most weather sites snub Wales, just go to Weather Two, it's as if they have a phobia and I think I can count on one hand how many times they've mentioned Wales in their weather forecast within the past 2 years. Wales is either bunched with the Midlands or Southern Britain. Both are incorrect, the weather in Wales is very different, generally colder due to altitude in the Winter to be bunched with the South, generally milder during swestrly's to be bunch with the Midlands and their inland climate. Sorry for the rant but it's so frustrating.

Very windy here this morning reports of a few trees down and many fence panels have been smashed up, hardly breezy BBC.

Sorry to hear that. You could help in some very small way by putting your location in your profile. It will help make Wales stand out at least on the boards. The more you and others do it the better. Note I am no nationalist BTW. I do love watching Wales play Rugby mind you and coming over to Dublin every 2nd year. 2nd best team in the world to support!

Posted

I've been caught out in close to 80mph winds once before when this system struck in 2007, i'm definitely not making the same mistake twice and it's a day of staying inside when there's so much debris around and tree's still in full leaf. We already had the local fire engines wailing around the valley with what sounded like a tannoy announcing something (could have been unrelated, but you never know.) This is what happened in 2007 for those in Manchester who remember it well http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6272193.stm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-14878091

Are you being affected by the high winds hitting parts of Wales? Please send us any pictures.

Send your pictures and videos to yourpics@bbc.co.uk or text them to61124 (UK)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Its pretty darn gusty out there today along the Bristol Channel. I could hear the wind roaring through the trees this morning from the park nearby. It was quite dodgy in the car as I was driving along a 2 mile stretch exposed to the Severn Estuary with powerful gusts hitting the side of my car.

The good news is that the sun is out and its quite warm! Quite a refreshing feel as the wind helps and hinders me walking around between buildings.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Fairly windy here with gusts. Clouds are moving super fast.

Posted

Malin Head. Latest report shows highest gust from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm to be 65 knots or 75 mph. Thats 120 kmhr. MEan Wind speed 43 knots. ( what's with this knots business BTW?)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

It was always going to be difficult to pin down where the strongest winds are going to be.

In any conventional depression the MetO would have it about right (and probably still have actually - it's only 12:20)...strongest winds are often just to the south of the depression's centre, on the SE and SW'ern flanks.

The centre of Katia (for ease of reference) is tightening up now though so I would expect winds to pick up significantly across the warned areas in the next hour or two and then throughout the evening.

Posted

Looks like theres some development that i dont think was forecast, is this likely to become anything noteworthy?

Thats a Cold Front in Cold Advection with embedded thunderstorms so could become a lively area with interesting weather as it approaches us.

Posted

No idea?, so what's your memory like does it not go back that far..

1990 that sounds like it, previous to that was the 1987 storm.. PROPER storms, this is just overhyped strong winds with a few tree's being blown down.

For YOUR area maybe. Other areas are in line for much worse conditions. Your area was never meant to be in the firing line.

I do wish the "Class of '87" would stop flippantly disregarding the potential dangers of this storm just because it's not significant for their area.

Posted

i think for my part of the country , the met office have under-played it. Its not just that its windy. The gusts are sustained for long periods. Neighbours fence now trashed

Posted

She ain't camera shy anyway!

hows the weather your side of the Clyde

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

hows the weather your side of the Clyde

Definitely picking up there's been much stronger gusts in the last 30 minutes or so. My mate from uni is home in Northern Ireland just now and he's keeping me updated too with anything worthwhile. Think the worst of it will be this evening possibly.

Posted

For YOUR area maybe. Other areas are in line for much worse conditions. Your area was never meant to be in the firing line.

I do wish the "Class of '87" would stop flippantly disregarding the potential dangers of this storm just because it's not significant for their area.

It is ALWAYS the same. Anytime there is strong winds forecast, its all about 1987........

Posted

Definitely picking up there's been much stronger gusts in the last 30 minutes or so. My mate from uni is home in Northern Ireland just now and he's keeping me updated too with anything worthwhile. Think the worst of it will be this evening possibly.

that's what I am thinking rush hour evening the worst for central Scotland