Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland - Cold & Windy Spell Discussion 3

Posted

one of the best weather forecasts i have seen in years watch it here

http://www.bbc.co.uk...atures/16068618

all i can say scotland you need to batten down after hearing t that!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frost and Thunderstorms

Hahhaahaa...he used my patter here comes this bad boy ..

Seriously though..it is quite concerning now , seriously considering keeping my kids off school tomorrow as their safety is obv my priority.

It's the timing of this that I am concerned about too - don't want the kids walking home in this if it's as bad as forecast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Snowing quite heavily here, won't come to much though but still adds to the amount of days having snow falling :)

Posted

It's the timing of this that I am concerned about too - don't want the kids walking home in this if it's as bad as forecast

Defo..i think its perfect timing for them coming out of school , and with the potential for tree branches and other debris flying about..im thinking no chance.

Edit: Blizzard like conditions here atm. :/

Edited by todd1970

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

flood alert now in place in 11 areas

http://floodline.sepa.org.uk/floodupdates/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Strewth, tomorrow looks.... 'interesting'...

Edinburgh's been another bright clear sunny day, crisp and cold but barely a breath of wind. Think that may change by tomorrow teatime! In the past six ,months we've had 70+mph gusts recorded on Blackford Hill, which is on a level with our attic windows, so we reckon what they get, we get pretty much the same. It always used to be about twice a year I had to move downstairs as my attic bedroom shook as the wind hit the exposed south/west sides of the house like a sledgehammer and rattled furniture and shook paintings off (we even had a surveyor in at one point to check the house, but it's fine, just a hundred years' worth of mobility, eek!). Seems to happen a bit more than twice a year now, and also it only used to be autumn or spring storms that did it, whereas once was May iirc, and once September this year. So I'll move ornaments and pictures onto the floor tonight... :-)

BleakMidwinter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Is this thing real?! It looks worse still on the 12zs I certainly thought it would downgrade somewhat. Yikes!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Winter Storms, Heatwaves.

Just heard on Newsdrive on Radio Scotland that the Government will be meeting later tonight to discuss if schools and bridges should be shut for part of tommorrow.

Posted

Is this thing real?! It looks worse still on the 12zs I certainly thought it would downgrade somewhat. Yikes!!

This is going to be bad for us during school runs? My kids normally go to school with the neighbours kids,I've told her I'm considering keeping them off but her reply is "oh it won't be that bad" I am justified in my reasons for keeping them off eh?!!

Posted

Just heard on Newsdrive on Radio Scotland that the Government will be meeting later tonight to discuss if schools and bridges should be shut for part of tommorrow.

I think it should be a consideration.

Inland gusts of 90mph are very rare.

It will be an exceptional few hours for some.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

I need to get the train tomorrow and will be traveling the Aviemore line, i.e over Slochd and Drumochter - not sure whether to go for it now.

Posted

I'm inclined to think, if you have the option of working from home tomorrow instead of driving, it may be best for the emergency services and utilities engineers to leave the roads as clear as possible. And if I had a train journey like that, I think I'd be staying home instead!

Mind you, I think I may spend tomorrow under the duvet anyway - it sounds bloody awful. Possibly under the duvet in the coal-cellar...

:-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

It's not for work or anything (I'm a student and thus never work :drinks:) it's for going home for about 4 days. I would be reach Kingussie at around 10:20ish at night, I would snow but not proper blizzards. Think I might just stay in Glasgow :)

Posted

I need to get the train tomorrow and will be traveling the Aviemore line, i.e over Slochd and Drumochter - not sure whether to go for it now.

I would normally be tempted to say go for it NR given that the snow clearing is usually good, but with tomorrows winds and snow the drifts could be pretty special on the high routes. If you have to, the sooner in the day the better by the looks of it

*edit* if it's just to go out on the raz, then aye, stay in Glasgow! :drunk:

Edited by Northern Strath

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

one extreme to the next isn't it. I still have a fair bit of snaw lying with a fresh covering from todays snows. if you thought tomorrows storm was bad this afternoons model runs has even worse storms for next week

Posted

Oooof - now I'm concerned after watching that forecast..

We had really bad winds earlier this year - but this beast looks seriously worse....

Posted

I'm really surprised about my school's lack of knowledge of this windstorm tomorrow! Not even a single mention to take care tomorrow walking home and also we get double decker buses and I don't think it's a great idea to keep transport running tomorrow afternoon. :help:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

This is going to be bad for us during school runs? My kids normally go to school with the neighbours kids,I've told her I'm considering keeping them off but her reply is "oh it won't be that bad" I am justified in my reasons for keeping them off eh?!!

I wouldn't think twice about it if my kids were school age SL2! I believe the Government are meeting tonight to decide if they should close schools and bridges tomorrow afternoon anyway so the decision will probably made for you. If not, could you forgive yourself if anything happened? Keep watching and you will be able to make an informed decision when the time comes.

Posted

I'm really surprised about my school's lack of knowledge of this windstorm tomorrow! Not even a single mention to take care tomorrow walking home and also we get double decker buses and I don't think it's a great idea to keep transport running tomorrow afternoon. :help:

I think some School's really only taken interest in warnings about snow even so some schools may react differently to these warnings. For the council and schools, winds and gales seem normal but I think tomorow could be deadly so really I would think that a red warning and the concerning forecast would empahsise that this is a serious event and will cause distruption.

Also, there could be some large snowfalls into Friday morning although the eastern extent of this is uncertain but certainly the snow will cause problems and because of the strength of the wind I would imagine that snow showers would be slamming into western areas bringing blizzard conditions and that warning could upgrade to orange closer to the time. Certainly, I would rather have a yellow warning for wind and red for snow.

Posted

To be honest, we're a household of Radio4-junkies and until I checked the weather sites this afternoon I had no idea - just been through and nobody else has heard anything about this til I told 'em.

Either it wasn't forecast particularly til very very recently or else it was forecast to be windy but the intensity has massively increased vv recently, or else my household lives in La La Land where it's always sunny and jolly with the fluffy white clouds in the blue sky like little baa-lambs.

Me, I reckon the storm's forecast strength has increased in this afternoon's models, hence why it's suddenly "appeared".

BleakMidwinter