Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Far North Of England Regional Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

My oh my, what a difference 12 months makes!

This time last year we'd had some fabulous model watching, lamp post watching and more frosts than we could shake a stick at.

We're now back into 'even larger teapot' territory with at least the next two weeks practically written off in terms of cold and snow.

I haven't had the heating on at all today for the first time for a good few weeks!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Very mild this week - even on the highest fells in Cumbria this morning the snow looked very patchy.

Posted

Bloody ridiculous Alza!

Hoping something can turn up out of the blue (no pun intended) on the models.

Mid-January might be our first port of call at this rate!

I'm off to Huddersfield for the night on the 27th and was hoping when I booked the hotel 2 months ago that I'd see some wintryness up there.

Guess not.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

At least all the relatives will be getting here safely tomorrow - last year was a worry as we were still getting significant falls of snow on the 23rd!

Posted

The last two winters have really delivered for us in Newcastle.

As you say, it's a mare if you have to be out and about in it or are worrying about relatives and their travel.

But we all seek the holy grail and yearn for those flakes to fall from the sky!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I had a dream that the models were all wrong and we were set to have a short-lived northerly incursion from the 24th-26th with sunshine and snow showers. Not particularly likely!

I remember scanning the model outputs this time last year, not too bothered about the likely return to milder weather after Boxing Day, but hoping for the north-easterly flow and mix of sunshine and snow showers to continue through to Christmas Day. Some quite heavy showers hit Cleadon during the evening of the 23rd.

Quite a few BBC forecasts have noted the remarkable contrast between Christmas Day temperatures expected this year and those last year. Even Exeter managed a white Christmas last year!

Posted

Yes TWS, some parts of the UK will be twenty degrees warmer this year compared to last, quite remarkable really all things considered!!

I have a sneaking suspicion that this winter won't deliver much more than we've already experienced, which will be a bitter pill to swallow after the last two winters.

Never mind, what will be will be. I still think we should count ourselves lucky to live in an area of the world which delivers all weather types in varying quantities. The weather can't and won't please the Brits all of the time.

Posted

Very mild this week - even on the highest fells in Cumbria this morning the snow looked very patchy.

Haven't seen the fells for all the low cloud but not surprised much of last weeks snow has now melted - to be honest the clouds can continue to shroud them until the white stuff returns - viewing the green scene again will only be depress me..

Our local paper was saying how great the snow has been so far this month - best conditions at raise ski tow since 1991 (not sure about this, last year and 2009/2010 saw just as good if not better snow conditions with much colder temps and ligher winds and clear skies). They probably meant in terms of early depth a good three feet of the snow having fallen by the 18th. What a pity christmas couldn't have occured a week earlier this year, last weekend was a good one with everything sparkling white. The current synoptics are a real kick in the teeth - prior to the start of december we had to endured a spell of weather eternally devoid of interest in terms of cold, snow and frost and now we have to endure a dire christmas eve - boxing day.

I remain optimistic though and say this time next week the future will be looking much rosier for snow and cold, thank goodness us cold snow lovers we have christmas itself to take our minds off the current poor conditions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

There is a chance of some snow showers in higher parts of Cumbria on the 28th/29th with the models placing high pressure further south. The snow line will depend on how much of a northerly component to the airflow we get, but it's not all doom and gloom for snow lovers in Cumbria.

However the next three days certainly look pretty dreich away from the sheltered North Sea coastline with a lot of low cloud and drizzle.

Posted

Some heavy rain showers passing through the region at the moment which appear to be accompanied by some gusty winds!

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Here's hoping for a huge shift in weather pattern for the first few months of 2012 :drunk:

Posted

The charts are starting to show a little interest for cold weather fans in FI.

Nice of them to give us something to cling to for the big day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

The charts are starting to show a little interest for cold weather fans in FI.

Nice of them to give us something to cling to for the big day!

Aye yes mate merry christmassssssss budddddyyy :D

Posted

Aye yes mate merry christmassssssss budddddyyy :D

Merry Christmas to you too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

11.4c with varying low to mod cloud, some spraying drizzle in there with a mod W/SW wind... Well at least it's been a nice xmas!

Merry xmas all, hope you enjoyed today and will enjoy tonight, and I hope you all take care and eat and drink to your hearts content during the next week, culminating in the beginning of a new year, which will hopefully deliver more in terms of cold and snow than 2011!

I can safely say that I expect the next few weeks should herald some significant changes on the models, and patience is vital for all, so enjoy the festivities before looking forward to an increasingly wintry outlook as January moves on.

Enjoy!

Edited by Isolated Frost

Posted

I thought for a minute I'd drank so much that I was seeing double.

Damn you Isolated Frost!

I'll have to have some more drink now :db: