Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Far North Of England Regional Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I doubt that we'll get a proper White Christmas in the snow lying sense from that setup, but something akin to Christmas Day 1999 (a wintry mix of showers from a westerly) looks quite possible. It will all depend on the precise timing of polar maritime outbreaks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

I notice the models are keen to bring in a cold WNW around Christmas at the moment, probably the only chance of a White Christmas this year.

Yep I reckon mild week then colder weekend ; never know get a decent PM outbreak and could get a White Christmas in both definitions of falling and laying although unlikely atm.

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea

What's the prospects of any more showers today or overnight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Showers will die out between now and midnight. The latest GFS run places the trough further south but re-introduces the possibility of some showers coming back in off the North Sea tomorrow afternoon.

Posted

2.2c here

0.9c Dew Point

91% Humidity

could I catch something before showers die away I wonder? Since 4:20pm it has dropped from 2.9c/1.7c to the above currently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Latest radar pic shows showers to the ne forming a slight band, will be our last main hope i'd think. Still very happy indeed with this event :)

post-12276-0-66423600-1324055852_thumb.p

Edited by Isolated Frost

Posted

I know I said I prefared snow in january but it does my head in when other areas get it and we miss out :wallbash: ha ha

I share the pain

Posted

That ppn to the north looks to me to be fragmenting and dying out

Posted

Another sleety shower at Cleadon, and the wind has picked up off the sea again after a lull earlier which saw the temperature fall to 1.8C.

Posted

December 16: Sporadic snow and sleet showers from the north east- started lying at approx 10am, accumulated to 3cm at 12pm. Rain and sleet, accompanied by higher temperatures had reduced most lying snow in the afternoon, 1cm on grassy surfaces at 6pm.

My snow lying summary of today, will update tonight and tomorrow.

Posted

Outside chance of catching a snow shower tomorrow when the uppers drop below -5 and winds veer more NW to (hopefully NNW)

ukwind.png

If i'm correct we could see some showers hugging the east coast with this sort of set up :good: I think it's a case of you never know, and watching that radar!

Posted

A nice snow event in many parts of the North-east today,a pleasant surprise to see some heavy snow and down to low levels,i think the lack of wind helped with this.

Still a covering here of about an inch- (that's about 10 kentimetres :p ) and has frozen up in the last hour making the pavements and side roads into skating rinks.

Posted

Just been across the frozen snow fields with the dog. Was freezing cold but had to make the most of it as got a horrible feeling this is all we will see this winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

Just been across the frozen snow fields with the dog. Was freezing cold but had to make the most of it as got a horrible feeling this is all we will see this winter.

It's December 16th for goodness sake :rofl:

Still a full 3 months of winter ahead yet and let's face it, to have got snow today from a set up that wouldn't traditionally favour the north east we're doing ok in my book.

Posted

There is a definite pool of warmer air over us at present- the wind off the North Sea eased off at Cleadon but the temperature held up at 2.5C and the latest shower (the last of today, judging by the radar) fell as rain.

Despite the wintry mix this afternoon it looks like I will have 60-70% snow cover at 9am tomorrow.

Posted

Tynevalleywinter- I can assure you that January and February will have snow events that will dwindle the severity of this event. If the highlight of the winter is inch or two inch fall in some parts of northumberland and tyne and wear then I will eat my socks. Especially with vortex breakup, strat signals and nh longwave patterns playing out as they are; events in Jan and especially Feb I think will be more severe and less isolated :)

Especially considering your location rather inland and on high ground, falls of above 8-12inches may occur for you late on this winter. However I predict a rather average winter for most, but with blocking more prominent at times late on and a disrupted polar frontal jet I see a wet and mixed end to winter after a drier, colder January. I do also however see potential for us to land on the wrong side of an amplified jet and come off rather mild in Feb... But enough about speculation and lrf's, it's icy out there and there is still some snow patches around.

Posted

Any chance of snow overnight/ tomorrow morning? Ill be up at 5am as Im going to cardiff

Posted

Any chance of snow overnight/ tomorrow morning? Ill be up at 5am as Im going to cardiff

Would an obvious Cardiff 2-0 Boro scoreline tempt you to stay at home? :p

Posted

Would an obvious Cardiff 2-0 Boro scoreline tempt you to stay at home? :p

Nope and besides boro will win 3-1 I personally think :)

Posted

Nope and besides boro will win 3-1 I personally think :)

Give over, more chance of seeing a white Christmas :acute:

Posted

Give over, more chance of seeing a white Christmas :acute:

Actually looks like a PM blast might happen around then so Im not ruling it out....

Also boro away form has been brilliant this season just home form let them down a bit so going on that should a good win and a nice day out! :D

Posted

I went to Boro away a couple of years ago.

It was cold enough to snow but it left trouser leged it down with rain, we maintained our unbeaten away record and a Welshman scored for us.

Can you guess who I support?! :search:

Posted

I went to Boro away a couple of years ago.

It was cold enough to snow but it left trouser leged it down with rain, we maintained our unbeaten away record and a Welshman scored for us.

Can you guess who I support?! :search:

Boro by any chance or have I read that post wrong? :p