Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Far North Of England Regional Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Rain, sleet and some wet snow flakes hanging about. 2.9c/0.7c.

Cool and showery, quite sunny in the breaks with cloud hanging about all day. I'm hoping for a rather showery day, proximity to that lp, and the low pressure, aswell as the wind dir (wsw) favour at least some shower activity in the NE. The NW should receive quite a few rain and sleet showers, more snow above 100mts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Just had a sleet shower :)

Posted

Just had a sleet shower :)

I can concur with alza and Nick- temps were 3c in the shower but now are back down to 2.5c. On the marginal boundary with some showers still lurking around... hopefully some shock wet snow later on with evap cooling in play. -4/-5c uppers should do above 100m due to the airpressure profile, 975/980mb conductive to snow at sea level with -6/-7c uppers.

I think the met may have this 'slushy deposits at low levels' quite well. Snowed on the back edge of that showers and with uppers to cool 1c still, then maybe wet snow/sleet could be more likely... shower activity could pep up so hit and miss with ice a problem i'd say.

Posted

This evening could be quite good with a trough heading in from the WSW, I've seen snow from these setups before :)

Posted

Isn't that just typical! Friday's low downgraded so much that now it looks like heavy snow in the S and SE... the worst possible outcome!... I hate it when they get more snow than us!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Why am i getting no showers and the East are in a WSW flow? wtf i give up

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Judging by the latest GFS outputs, tonight and into early tomorrow is the most likely time for some of us to see snow. Showers are set to die away this afternoon (the radar illustrates this with the lack of reinforcements over the Irish Sea) but will then pep up again this evening and overnight.

Following Friday's low there is a chance of some snow showers in the NE if the wind veers east of due north at any time, which happens on the GFS 06Z for about 18 hours, but there is huge uncertainty over this as it depends on the timing and positioning of troughs.

I didn't notice any snow at Cleadon (though there may have been a little bit of sleet mixed with rain). The squall at 1-2am was pretty impressive though, and plenty of showers have made it over to the east coast.

Posted

Had some sleety showers today,

It is incredibly weird how the 18th December could have snow this year again, as it has for the past 2 years! It'll be 3 in a row if we get any :)

prectypeuktopo.png

This isn't the only GFS run which has showed possibility of snow, and i think everyone i've seen has shown at least a cold day

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Some blobs of sleet mixed with the last couple of rain showers at Cleadon, despite temperatures between 4 and 5C- this is probably due to low dew points, e.g. the last couple of METAR observations at Newcastle Airport give a dew point of -2C.

Posted

Awful weather here in south Co. Durham. Cold rain/sleet, very windy, rattling tiles and windows. The dog's going to have to wait for her walk for now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: It's all about the white stuff!

We had a lovely full sky around half an hour ago, I had everything crossed but it was just a rainy/sleety/wet mixture. dew point of just under 0c and wind gusting upto 35mph. Feels soo much colder than it actually is aswell, im thinking i might just leave the kids at school rather than go out in it to pick them up, they have to go back in the morning anyway........ :winky:

Posted

Looking at the Radar, the Showers seem to be coming in from a NW direction. Seems to be alot of Precip heading this way.

Posted

Looking closely at the radar, today's showers seem to have behaved in a more "summer-esque" manner, as there haven't been many over the Irish Sea and the showers have then taken off over Cumbria and the west Pennines, and have kept a lot of their intensity while heading over to the east coast. Rather odd, as it suggests that orographic enhancement has played a greater role in enhancing shower activity than the "cold air, warm sea" type convection over the Irish Sea.

Posted

Looking closely at the radar, today's showers seem to have behaved in a more "summer-esque" manner, as there haven't been many over the Irish Sea and the showers have then taken off over Cumbria and the west Pennines, and have kept a lot of their intensity while heading over to the east coast. Rather odd, as it suggests that orographic enhancement has played a greater role in enhancing shower activity than the "cold air, warm sea" type convection over the Irish Sea.

What do you think about tonight TWS mate- any more shower activity?

Posted

Had a mixture of rain, sleet and wet snow today in the showers. There was one shower this morning which had large snowflakes, whilst the rest have been a sleety mixture.

Just had a glance at the models, and Sunday looks like it may finally deliver for the North East as the flow turns to a direct northerly.

Edited by alza

Posted

Had a mixture of rain, sleet and wet snow today in the showers. There was one shower this morning which had large snowflakes, whilst the rest have been a sleety mixture.

Just had a glance at the models, and Sunday looks like it may finally deliver for the North East as the flow turns to a direct northerly.

On Friday we have a slight east flow due to that lp in southern england- we may see some wintry showers from the north sea of that... but the main stuff looks like going into Yorkshire and the midlands atm.

Posted

We might get some on Friday... but nowhere near as much as Mids/EA/SE, who all look set to get a decent amount of frontal snow... while we get scraps. :wallbash::wallbash: