Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Far North Of England Regional Discussion

Posted

To be fair Andy, even when the low was further North, the models never predicted any snowfall for us lot in the North but what we have missed out on is surely an very rare event where there was at one point the risk of having a 100mph gust in these parts but its not meant to be sadly.

Still, the models give us a brief proper stright Northerly for 6 or so hours and in my experience there will be showers in the North Sea aslong the front is far enough South so we might see one or two (wintry)showers before we get blue skies and sunshine as winds back more NNW'ly-NW'ly.

I know i wasn't even expecting any snow, i'm not getting my hopes up until at least the New Year for any decent snow event, i just wanted the mega wind storm!

The only thing that annoys me is that we still haven't had anything but some unremarkable flurries in the dead of night, when we're this far north... And then snow is modelled for the south, and we get neither Wind nor Snow! But it is only weather at the end of the day so i'm just going to be patient :p

Posted

I know i wasn't even expecting any snow, i'm not getting my hopes up until at least the New Year for any decent snow event, i just wanted the mega wind storm!

The only thing that annoys me is that we still haven't had anything but some unremarkable flurries in the dead of night, when we're this far north... And then snow is modelled for the south, and we get neither Wind nor Snow! But it is only weather at the end of the day so i'm just going to be patient :p

That, in a nutshell, is exactly how I feel.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

My prediction of the UK at 6am on Friday morning if the low goes on the METO projected route: post-12276-0-87335000-1323892543_thumb.p

This is what I think will happen if it moves about 50-100 miles northwards:

post-12276-0-29009400-1323892686_thumb.p

And 50-100 miles southwards:

post-12276-0-82464800-1323892829_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

To be perfectly honest it's understandable.

I have been living in the North East since 2001 (Newcastle) and before that I lived in the North East from 1984 - 1992 (East Rainton, nr Houghton-le-Spring). On the whole I have seen some pretty impressive snowfalls/winters, particularly in the 84-92 period but not exclusively.

I have to say on the whole the North East does pretty well overall. Of course N'Easterlies are the holy grail for us up here but it's December, still plenty of winter to play with yet. And let's face it, it's going to be touch and go for folk in the firing line over the next 48hrs down south anyway.

Posted

My prediction of the UK at 6am on Friday morning if the low goes on the METO projected route: post-12276-0-87335000-1323892543_thumb.p

This is what I think will happen if it moves about 50-100 miles northwards:

post-12276-0-29009400-1323892686_thumb.p

And 50-100 miles southwards:

post-12276-0-82464800-1323892829_thumb.p

Basically, whatever happens it's crap for us. :doh::cray:

Posted

Basically, whatever happens it's crap for us. :doh::cray:

Aye- still, after 34cms and 42cms in the past 2 winters I would say we're overdue a spell in which other parts see more than us... the pennines may catch some snow/sleet tomorrow again however, so that should continue the fantastic season for them.

2.8c and partly cloudy here.

Posted

I don't know if its because we've practically been waiting 12 months now for decent snow since December 2010... normally it's a case of 9 months (Jan 2010 - November 2010 was 8 months), patience is a virtue, but we have been waiting longer than in recent times!

Anyhow, Saturday and Sunday look seasonally chilly so i'll look forward to the weekend :)

Posted

Aye- still, after 34cms and 42cms in the past 2 winters I would say we're overdue a spell in which other parts see more than us... the pennines may catch some snow/sleet tomorrow again however, so that should continue the fantastic season for them.

2.8c and partly cloudy here.

It's NEVER enough!!! We deserve to be the snowiest region of England every year, seeing as we get the crappest summers year after year without fail!

Not sureit's been too great for the Pennines all things considered - no real skiing yet as far as I know and, away from the very highest parts there's been nothing that deep or longlasting.

Edited by NickR

Posted

It's NEVER enough!!! We deserve to be the snowiest region of England every year, seeing as we get the crappest summers!

Not sureit's been too great for the Pennines all things considered - no real skiing yet as far as I know and, away from the very highest parts there's been nothing that deep or longlasting.

I guess not, but better than Dec 2010 at least i'd imagine.

And talk to someone living in Aberdeen, Stornoway or Lerwick about us having the crappest summers ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I don't know if its because we've practically been waiting 12 months now for decent snow since December 2010... normally it's a case of 9 months (Jan 2010 - November 2010 was 8 months), patience is a virtue, but we have been waiting longer than in recent times!

Anyhow, Saturday and Sunday look seasonally chilly so i'll look forward to the weekend :)

Recent waits for significant snowfall:

March 05 - Nov 05 (8 months)

April 06 - Dec 08 (32 months!!!!)

Feb 09 - Dec 09 (10 months)

Feb 10 - Nov 10 (9 months)

Jan 10 - ... (11 months so far)

Posted

I guess not, but better than Dec 2010 at least i'd imagine.

And talk to someone living in Aberdeen, Stornoway or Lerwick about us having the crappest summers ;)

I did say "in England". ;) It's pretty incontrovertible that every single year we get the worst summer in England, I would've thought.

Posted

Theres a difference between something being predicted and the actual event. I got a slight feeling people in the South will be dissapointed, it looks so marginal and I seen many times where the beeb forecasts snow and all the southerners get is rain/sleet. Also how much PPN will there actually be where the proper cold air is? I'll be surprised if we see any deep snow down there but if they do get any, good luck to them!

I'll be more than happy with my Jack Frost. :rolleyes:

Posted

March 05 - Nov 05 (8 months)

Feb 09 - Dec 09 (10 months)

Feb 10 - Nov 10 (9 months)

Jan 10 - ... (11 months so far)

I'm sure we got one dumping in 2007/early 2008 - about 10-15cms I seem to remember before it turned to rain, so you had to be quick taking advantage of it. Here is Durham anyway.

I seem to remember a system came from the West across to N Yorks and thengrew and came up to Durham where it just stood for hours.

Edited by NickR

Posted

I did say "in England". ;) It's pretty incontrovertible that every single year we get the worst summer in England, I would've thought.

Oh, well then yep, generally, but maybe parts of NW England do pretty bad as in westerlies we can usually get some sunshine at least due to them pennines.

Posted

The Lake District can be pretty awful! Slightly warmer than here, but it rains about 364 days a year there, so...

Posted

Ouch! My brain refuses to remember them Winters :p #repressedmemories

Posted

By far means not certain where the low will track tomorrow evening and the extent of any precipitation so it is a bit too early to be dismissing chances of snow across the region. Yes the current projected path doesn't bode well for snow, but if it moves say 50-100 miles north then I think much of the region especially places inland could see some widespread snow.

The fact the bbc have stated there are two possibilities shows there is much uncertainty still. Will await to see what the models are predicting in the morning and in these set ups- it is always a developing situation, the low could deepen more so than expected...

Its certainly a very interesting set up.

This month is certainly making up for the lack of any interesting weather for much of the year.Its also quite uncanny how for the third year running the third thursday in december is delivering a notable potential snow fest to some part of the country, last year we had the cold front moving south bringing widespread snow and then bitter northerlies, in 2009 we saw the start of the severe cold spell with easterlies behind a trough feature.

Posted

The Lake District can be pretty awful! Slightly warmer than here, but it rains about 364 days a year there, so...

LOL... true.

My abiding memory of NE weather was one day about 3 years ago when there was wall to wall sunshine and temps in mid 20s all over the UK (including Scotland!), but a veil of cloud over the NE that I SWEAR followed EXACTLY the border of Durham and Northumberland - we had temps in the mid teens all day. That, for me, summed up NE summer. Though I found it quite funny... no snow when the rest gets it, I don't... must be because I love snow more than heat and sun.

Posted

I'm sure we got one dumping in 2007/early 2008 - about 10-15cms I seem to remember before it turned to rain, so you had to be quick taking advantage of it. Here is Durham anyway.

Durham got 10cm on the 3rd Jan 08, and there might have been some on the 21st Jan 08 as I know places west of Newcastle City Centre got 5cm as I went for a walk to see it (literally 10 minutes walk from my house :wallbash: ), but my area in Newcastle missed out. The 3rd Jan was especially annoying as the showers seemed to just skirt around my estate; there was even 5cm at the Silverlink shopping centre which is a few miles from here towards the coast!

Ouch! My brain refuses to remember them Winters :p #repressedmemories

Before those winters I thought it was almost impossible to have a winter here which didn't deliver at least an inch at one point, but then two came along at once! I almost started believing Ian Brown's even larger teapot theory.

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

We get cooler temps and more rain in summer than you as well as getting less cold and less snow than you in winter, it sucks tbh

Posted

We get cooler temps and more rain in summer than you as well as getting less cold and less snow than you in winter, it sucks tbh

Ouch!

Either way... we get worse than all areas further south... therefore we should get all the snow in winter while they get naff all. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Ouch!

Either way... we get worse than all areas further south... therefore we should get all the snow in winter while they get naff all. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Wish the snow will tomorrow night! ;)

Posted

Before those winters I thought it was almost impossible to have a winter here which didn't deliver at least an inch at one point, but then two came along at once! I almost started believing Ian Brown's even larger teapot theory.

Goes to show how chaotic our climate really is, the magic of the British Isles really is the massive variation of weather we get, year on year.

I think the fun of it is really being surprised. We would have nowt to talk about if it was just Hot in the Summer and Cold in the Winter every year as normal... We might be slightly saner for it though! :lol:

And i was lurking about on Netweather when that even larger teapot nonsense was being spread haha, i suppose he was right for 2 years before it was proven that anything can happen weatherwise in this country.

Edited by Andy163

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Ouch!

i agree i hate it when the southerners are getting 30c whilst were getting 20c and then in winter i dont know about you but they always get more snow than me! it boils me pi** i'll tell you

Posted

Hi guys,

I was only reading a week or two ago by members in other threads that this winter would be a damp squid and we may as well pack our snow boots up now. Since then we have had colder conditions, a few frosty mornings, so hey guys lets not be so down beat about whats going to happen over the weekend but look further down the road into January, thats when the fun and games may start in our region ( i hope :good: )

Plus if there are two months were you want a long cold spell I suppose you would pick January and Febuary.