Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Far North Of England Regional Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Hi guys,

I was only reading a week or two ago by members in other threads that this winter would be a damp squid and we may as well pack our snow boots up now. Since then we have had colder conditions, a few frosty mornings, so hey guys lets not be so down beat about whats going to happen over the weekend but look further down the road into January, thats when the fun and games may start in our region ( i hope :good: )

Plus if there are two months were you want a long cold spell I suppose you would pick January and Febuary.

Id pick December and January as they have the shortest daylight hours

Posted

Id pick December and January as they have the shortest daylight hours

To be fair, I also dont mind a late winter covering in early march, I cannot remember the last time that happened though.

Posted

To be fair, I also dont mind a late winter covering in early march, I cannot remember the last time that happened though.

Neither do I but much prefer it in December or January

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The Marches of 2001 and 2006 both started off with a widespread snow cover across the region, but those of 2009-11 were all exceptionally snowless.

Posted

The Marches of 2001 and 2006 both started off with a widespread snow cover across the region, but those of 2009-11 were all exceptionally snowless.

Yeah it snowed on my birthday (March 16th) in 2006 :)

Rrea00120060316.gifRrea00220060316.gif

Decent Spring Snow setup :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

i agree i hate it when the southerners are getting 30c whilst were getting 20c and then in winter i dont know about you but they always get more snow than me! it boils me pi** i'll tell you

Now imagine what its like when the South gets 30°C, even Cumbria gets 25°C, and Newcastle gets 10°C with North Sea low cloud. That does sometimes happen in June. Can't complain too much though as the North Sea has provided a lot of snow over the years, even in mild winters we usually get a couple of North Sea snow events.

Yeah it snowed on my birthday (March 16th) in 2006 :)

Decent Spring Snow setup :)

I remember not expecting to see any snow, but about 3-4cm fell from that event. Kinda made up for the disappointment of leaving 25cm behind in Cumbria during the afternoon on the 12th to find 1-2cm in Newcastle.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Now imagine what its like when the South gets 30°C, even Cumbria gets 25°C, and Newcastle gets 10°C with North Sea low cloud. That does sometimes happen in June. Can't complain too much though as the North Sea has provided a lot of snow over the years, even in mild winters we usually get a couple of North Sea snow events.

I remember not expecting to see any snow, but about 3-4cm fell from that event. Kinda made up for the disappointment of leaving 25cm behind in Cumbria during the afternoon on the 12th to find 1-2cm in Newcastle.

That must be very infuriating! In the summer with easterlies the Pennines and Cumbrian fells protect us from the low cloud advancing west, but in the Winter they stop all the snow coming over!

Edited by Liam J

Posted

I remember this snow storm we had on the 6th April 2008, it was on and off all day. I remember been at the above game, it was a classic, best conditions to play in considering it was April :good:

Posted

I remember this snow storm we had on the 6th April 2008, it was on and off all day. I remember been at the above game, it was a classic, best conditions to play in considering it was April :good:

Was there good game that!

Posted
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea

According to the cold weather alert on the meto site we are at 70% risk of bad winter weather between now and monday. Only yorkshire can match us in the NE. NW 60%

Posted

LOL... true.

My abiding memory of NE weather was one day about 3 years ago when there was wall to wall sunshine and temps in mid 20s all over the UK (including Scotland!), but a veil of cloud over the NE that I SWEAR followed EXACTLY the border of Durham and Northumberland - we had temps in the mid teens all day. That, for me, summed up NE summer. Though I found it quite funny... no snow when the rest gets it, I don't... must be because I love snow more than heat and sun.

The NE often sees very dissapointing weather under cloudy NE airstreams and cloudy easterly airstreams especially in spring/early summer with low cloud shrugging the coast.

Cumbria is very wet - the wettest part of England by far and in mild southwest airstreams conditions in the Lake District are often thoroughly miserable with low cloud, murk and mist and drizzle or light fine rain and copious drip drip drip.

The NE does far better for sunshine than Cumbria all year round and for warmth in the May-October period but is colder in the Nov-Mar period. Mind cumbria can be just as cold as the NE under arctic airstream and polar maritime airstreams and even more so under anticylonic conditions - last december being a great example, mins in the county were often much colder than in the NE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

As a pretty bad hayfever sufferer, 10c and low cloud in June is bloody fantastic!

The NE often sees very dissapointing weather under cloudy NE airstreams and cloudy easterly airstreams especially in spring/early summer with low cloud shrugging the coast.

Cumbria is very wet - the wettest part of England by far and in mild southwest airstreams conditions in the Lake District are often thoroughly miserable with low cloud, murk and mist and drizzle or light fine rain and copious drip drip drip.

The NE does far better for sunshine than Cumbria all year round and for warmth in the May-October period but is colder in the Nov-Mar period. Mind cumbria can be just as cold as the NE under arctic airstream and polar maritime airstreams and even more so under anticylonic conditions - last december being a great example, mins in the county were often much colder than in the NE.

If you look at the stats the Lakes are surprisingly sunny. Lowest annual sunshine totals are in the Pennines. Cloud from both directions plus more convection cloud in the summer. Here for example we can have hill fog from both East and West.

I do think lowland/urban NE does have a very favourable climate only when the wind has a Easterly aspect does it suffer.

Working in Cumbria and living in Teesdale I see the best of each side of the Pennines.

Posted

The gfs 18z has moved the trouble low even further south,but looks to leave us with some sort of trough feature for the early hours of friday which could be quite interesting!

Posted

The gfs 18z has moved the trouble low even further south,but looks to leave us with some sort of trough feature for the early hours of friday which could be quite interesting!

I noticed this but high ground only with them upper air temps?

Posted

I noticed this but high ground only with them upper air temps?

Upper air temps not to bad at about -4 with not much wind either.

Higher ground always an advantage of course,but at least some hope for the white stuff. :smilz38:

Posted

Upper air temps not to bad at about -4 with not much wind either.

Higher ground always an advantage of course,but at least some hope for the white stuff. :smilz38:

-3c for the region on that map? and doubt lower ground would see anything sadly however higher ground could do well from it say above 200m

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

GFS shows a potential wintry event with a trough feature over N England Thursday night, uppers aren't great but with little wind to mix things up perhaps evaporative cooling could assist at lower levels?

Edited by Liam J

Posted

If I got a covering would certainly make things very festive for the last day of college on Friday as I break up :)

Posted

The BBC are showing snow for NE England into SE scotland overnight thursday and into friday - they must be picking up on a wrap around trough feature stemming from the low pressure as it moves into the N Sea - it can't be in association with the low pressure itself if the projected more southerly path verifies - however, it all seems a bit strange as they continue to show snow right up to s cumbria which has to be connected to the low pressure.

Things should become much clearer by the morning - perhaps they are just covering all bases tonight as they don't have a clear picture yet.

I think there could be further wintry fun over the weekend thanks to trough features as they move down in the very cold NW low - uppers will be much more conducive for low level snow by saturday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Yes this event looks interesting, lets hope it doesn't go the same way as this 'midlands snow event' which from looking immense at 9pm yesterday now looks shabby and wet at 6am today.

Slight air frost, -0.1c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Now at -0.6c. I'd say some sleety, wet snow showers, especially for the north of the region today with sunshine throughout the region and maxes between 4 to 6c. Tonight we have a slight e'ly with some sleet and snow possible at times, but generally snizzle and very light, could be a misty, frosty morning in the east of the region. Lows of -1c to 1c.

Posted

0.8c Here Now As I Go Off To College Bye All :)

Posted

The METO cold weather alert definatly favouring us now! http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/coldweatheralert/