Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Far North Of England Regional Discussion

Posted
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea

Just been to blanchland to pick wifey up from here mates and about quater a mile west of here the blizzard started and lasted all the way there and back to quater of a mile from mine. Nowt here but gales but blizzards 30 seconds drive away to the west. Someone in cumbria look east and blow hard.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

I still don't expect anything at all, as I think we're too far east for this kind of set up to deliver.

This weekend represents our best chance in my opinion.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Hmm, this orographic rainfall / snowfall seems to be stationary, hugging the Pennines and Lake District with nothing at all here. I sure hope this doesn't last all night!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Hmm, this orographic rainfall / snowfall seems to be stationary, hugging the Pennines and Lake District with nothing at all here. I sure hope this doesn't last all night!

Yep Pennines are just eating it up

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

There really is some substantial precipitation in N Northumberland and W Cumbria right now; Pennines forming a formidable block. Gusts shattering christmas decos and outdoor furniture aswell so you'd think that the showers had the power to cross... it's the waiting game for now.

Posted

When was the last time the NE (lowlying) had an essentially snowless winter? [i ask because I've got a bad feeling this may be one!]

Both 06/07 and 07/08 failed to deliver significant snow in Newcastle, but 07/08 had a few 5cm snowfalls within 15 minutes drive of the city. On the 3rd Jan and 21st Jan there were cars with >5cm on the roofs here, but hardly anything on the ground! They were both terrible winters, but this winter is a bit better so far as there weren't even any radar watching opportunities until January in both winters. In 06/07 we had to wait until late Jan / early Feb for even a dusting of snow! :sorry:

There really is some substantial precipitation in N Northumberland and W Cumbria right now; Pennines forming a formidable block. Gusts shattering christmas decos and outdoor furniture aswell so you'd think that the showers had the power to cross... it's the waiting game for now.

I suspect some will make it over for a couple of hours as the system leaves, but we'd need some prolonged precipitation for substantial evaporative cooling leading to snowfall I think.

Edited by alza

Posted

The lamp post watching might not last much longer tonight cause looking like it might take flight any time now. Wonder if the stuff just to the west of here has migrated westward.Aha some big juicy flakes flying by now.

Edited by tynevalleywinter

Posted

De ja vu? :lol:

Aye it be only rain anyways

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Still no ppn!

Posted

The lamp post watching might not last much longer tonight cause looking like it might take flight any time now. Wonder if the stuff just to the west of here has migrated westward.Aha some big juicy flakes flying by now.

If you have snow I'm sure I'll get sleet at least if any precipitation decides to turn up at my door :)

Edited by alza

Posted

Some big juicy flakes here now but hard to tell if its coming down heavy of if its just the gales making it look like its heavy.

Posted

Some big juicy flakes here now but hard to tell if its coming down heavy of if its just the gales making it look like its heavy.

Is it starting to lay?

Posted

Not laying yet seems to be just getting whipped around by the wind

Whats the score for tomorrow? METO say "Some sunny spells but another cold day with strong winds and showers, the showers wintry, falling as hail, sleet or snow, snow falling even at quite low levels at times".

Hannah on look north at 1:30 said a period of heavy snow for north east Wednedsay afternoon but Paul Mooney by 6:55 had no mention of anything for tomorrow?

Posted

Awful 18Z GFS - takes storm and the snow risk further south - looks like a day watching a lot of people from mids south getting pasted while we get nowt.

Posted

Awful 18Z GFS - takes storm and the snow risk further south - looks like a day watching a lot of people from mids south getting pasted while we get nowt.

That would be a kick in the teeth! Is the Easterly tilt to the Northerly still on for the end of the week?

Posted

I wouldnt put a penny on where it hits as its such a mobile setup. Its best guess at the minute and we probably wont know until its just about here!

Stopped here now

Posted

Lying in bed and no distractions- just listening to that wind outside. Some howling and whistling going on- you'd think I were in Newcastle city centre on a Friday night, but alas it's just the wind.

Raining here as far as I can make out- maybe even the denialist's dream of some sleety flakes in there.

Posted

Light rain here - I haven't seen the latest radar - but it looks like we will be on the southern edge of the band of rain/snow and it will be too light to aid evaporative cooling and enable rain to turn to snow. Will wait and see what happens - we got a nice snowy surprise early hours of last saturday.

Anyone confirm which direction the precipitation is moving - i.e. NW-SE or W-E?

I am travelling over to Newcastle thrusday evening and staying there until Monday morning - hoping to see a bit of snow - could be a good chance of a few snow showers over the weekend. The last two 'third' weekends in Dec have delivered the snowy goods. I'm pleased the coming weekend will be cold and frosty and very seasonal any snow will be a bonus.

Posted

Lying in bed and no distractions- just listening to that wind outside. Some howling and whistling going on- you'd think I were in Newcastle city centre on a Friday night, but alas it's just the wind.

Raining here as far as I can make out- maybe even the denialist's dream of some sleety flakes in there.

See I said rain ; snow chances to me dont look good

Posted

Damianslaw- the band is moving from the wsw/w to the ene/e, BUT it's extending southwards as shower activity heads south o' the border so evaporative cooling should factor in for you soon.

Posted

It's breezy out.My anemometer is poorly placed but is recording gusts in the 30-35mph bracket, which means it's a lot more than that. Nearby PWS has recorded 45mph... I've had enough of wind now, thanks.