Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Far North Of England Regional Discussion

Posted

The METO cold weather alert definatly favouring us now! http://www.metoffice...ldweatheralert/

Not really. We have an 80% chance of "Occasional wintry showers, down to low levels at times". The SE has a 60% chance of "A spell of sleet and snow is likely on Friday morning, especially in western parts of the region, with accumulations possible down to low levels". I know which warning I'd prefer to have!

Posted

These cold weather alerts appear a utter load of rubbish. High chance of occasional shrs. Wow. Its hardly the 4 min warning. :help:

Yes. Looks distinctly uninspiring at the moment for our region. Where's best to head to this weekend for snow, Mark? Teesdale seems to have been in the local news for its snow over the last 24 hrs... towards Langdon Beck/Yad Moss?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Not really. We have an 80% chance of "Occasional wintry showers, down to low levels at times". The SE has a 60% chance of "A spell of sleet and snow is likely on Friday morning, especially in western parts of the region, with accumulations possible down to low levels". I know which warning I'd prefer to have!

I agree we have just got to hope imo best chance is overnight tonight into tomorrow morning but will it be cold enough for snow? :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

NMM give us a snow event from that band tomorrow morning... 7am to 10am gives me falling snow, right near the coast. That would be lovely for the last day of term and the church visit- last year we had loads falling on the last day of term and were stranded at the church... nothing like that expected but hopefully a brilliant little surprise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

We definitely have a good chance of showery precipitation tomorrow morning, just a pity it'll probably be sleet at low levels! Hopefully Cumbria will get a good pasting over the weekend as I'm heading over there on Monday and it'd be nice to see whatever is left :)

Edited by alza

Posted

Any chance of a snow event via showers or troughs overnight?

Or will it be too mild for lowground to see any snow?

Will the last day of College term I wake upto be a winter wonderland?

Questions? Questions? Questions? .....

Posted

Any chance of a snow event via showers or troughs overnight?

Or will it be too mild for lowground to see any snow?

Will the last day of College term I wake upto be a winter wonderland?

Questions? Questions? Questions? .....

1) Yes, possibly.

2) Probably.

3) Depends. If you mean 4 inches of snow, then no.

You can't really predict this very easily. In February 2007 some snow showers made their way onshore round the top of the low which dumped the significant snow on the Midlands, and I had 2cm whilst Morpeth had around 5cm, and that was also a marginal setup with a slack onshore flow around the top of a low pressure system.

Posted

1) Yes, possibly.

2) Probably.

3) Depends. If you mean 4 inches of snow, then no.

You can't really predict this very easily. In February 2007 some snow showers made their way onshore round the top of the low which dumped the significant snow on the Midlands, and I had 2cm whilst Morpeth had around 5cm, and that was also a marginal setup with a slack onshore flow around the top of a low pressure system.

1) GREAT

2) NOT GOOD :(

3) I dont want much maybe a cm or 2 just a covering will do?

And well ill be on tonight and see what happens hopefully we all get the white stuff both low and high ground! :D

Posted

Our snow chances rely on a band of heavy precip hanging round n england/scots tonight/tomorrow morning... I wouldn't trust it to deliver, but I do expect it to fade away as usual... anyway, it's a cold day again with a sub-3c max. Now 2.1c and falling as we pass sunset.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: It's all about the white stuff!

It's my sons birthday tomorrow, and he loves snow, so if we got any tomorrow it would make his day. I think even to see some falling would bring a big smile. The kids all break up from school too so it would make it extra special. I won't hold my breath but can't help but get a bit excited at the mere 1% chance that we seem to have :)

Posted

It's my sons birthday tomorrow, and he loves snow, so if we got any tomorrow it would make his day. I think even to see some falling would bring a big smile. The kids all break up from school too so it would make it extra special. I won't hold my breath but can't help but get a bit excited at the mere 1% chance that we seem to have :)

I think hearing that school bell ring and them doors open at 3pm or so is a pretty fine birthday present, but having snow would sweeten it up nicely of course... my birthday is sep 3, so it's fair to say I need not worry about snow, usually we get warm, sunny conditions on mine :)

Posted

I totally agree, I think at age 6 hearing that bell go for the Christmas holidays is a fab present, jammy sod :) Might stick the sledges in the car and have a drive about over the weekend and see if we come across anywhere with enough snow to go hurtling down some hills. Not sure my pregnant self will fit in a slegde this year though....lol

Posted

I totally agree, I think at age 6 hearing that bell go for the Christmas holidays is a fab present, jammy sod :) Might stick the sledges in the car and have a drive about over the weekend and see if we come across anywhere with enough snow to go hurtling down some hills. Not sure my pregnant self will fit in a slegde this year though....lol

Hahahaha! Go down the A184, onto the A1 and down into Weardale or Teesdale- guaranteed snow lying in most parts... better not, follow the hadrians wall down to the beautiful tynedale! Plenty of options if we don't see much around, but of course it's preferable for some Jarra snaw :p

Posted

Metoffice are hedging there bets so its all Nowcasting now I really hope we all wake up to a covering tomorrow it would make breaking up from college even more special :D

Posted
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea

Well I'm working on the fell tops around rookhope tomorrow so pretty much snow gaurentee.

Posted

I think hearing that school bell ring and them doors open at 3pm or so is a pretty fine birthday present, but having snow would sweeten it up nicely of course... my birthday is sep 3, so it's fair to say I need not worry about snow, usually we get warm, sunny conditions on mine :)

We have always had a half day on the last day of term :p

And I still do at Sixth Form :D

Posted

We have always had a half day on the last day of term :p

And I still do at Sixth Form :D

I'm off half day aswell, 11:00am go to church service and then go straight home :D

Eery and beautiful feel during church service last year under heavy snow shrs and lying snow! This year i'm hoping for at least some snow shrs.

Posted

Hahahaha! Go down the A184, onto the A1 and down into Weardale or Teesdale- guaranteed snow lying in most parts... better not, follow the hadrians wall down to the beautiful tynedale! Plenty of options if we don't see much around, but of course it's preferable for some Jarra snaw :p

Yeah I think a trip down the a1 will be our best bet on Sunday, but yes of course Jarra Snow would be better :) I can't help but feel mighty deprived when anyone else gets snow!

Posted

Yeah I think a trip down the a1 will be our best bet on Sunday, but yes of course Jarra Snow would be better :) I can't help but feel mighty deprived when anyone else gets snow!

We all get that feeling! Think about me in my mild urban area

Posted

We all get that feeling! Think about me in my mild urban area

And Jarrow isn't a mild urban area? Its at ~10m asl right on the the river, and if I get a slushy covering there's usually nothing at all there.

Posted

And Jarrow isn't a mild urban area? Its at ~10m asl right on the the river, and if I get a slushy covering there's usually nothing at all there.

I was just saying my area is NORMALLY the mildest area in the Northeast

Posted

Cold out already. -0.9 here now