Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

London And The South East Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and cloud formations

Hi everyone, I look foreword to seeing some white gold this winter. That squall line was quite violent when it got here, heavy rain and very gusty winds. Not sure off top wind speed, but the wind was pretty strong! Temperature has dropped today.

Current conditions:

Sunny. Quite Cool.

Temperature: 5 °C Comfort Level: 1 °C Dew point: 0 °C Barometer: 1010 millibars Humidity: 70% Visibility: 16 km Wind: 24 km/h from 250° West-southwestsa6.png

EDIT: When will we see any strong signs of winter weather? I know there isn't much in the offering for us at the moment, but would be good to know when we could expect it here in our corner of the country.

Edited by boo1981

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

Metoffice have put out a weather warning for London and south east for gales on monday /tuesday.Watch this space :drinks: :drinks:

Posted

It's lovely having the regional threads back open again, especially in time to discuss the lows the Atlantic seems to be throwing the UK's way.

OK, it might not be the warnings of snow (yet) that we are looking for, but we do have yellow warnings issued by the Met Office for storm potential (wind) Monday and Tuesday: http://www.metoffice...ings.html?day=4

Definitely worth keeping an eye on :good:

Edited by snow raven

Posted

im going to brighton on tue hope its not to bad ive been b4 in a force 6-7 and it was a verry wet day.if it is on the pluss side atleast it might be mild.i be keeping an eye on this page over the next few days.

Posted

im going to brighton on tue hope its not to bad.

Some of us don't have that choice!!! :lol:

Posted

im going to brighton on tue hope its not to bad ive been b4 in a force 6-7 and it was a verry wet day.if it is on the pluss side atleast it might be mild.i be keeping an eye on this page over the next few days.

I'm being taken out for lunch at work, and don't want to sit in a restaurant in a wet suit(not wetsuit, but wet-suit).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Looking at some of the charts over on the other thread, this could be a quite significant wind event for us folks in these areas. MO have picked up and warned pretty early too, - we didn't have any warnings this way for ex Katia, for example, and that was gusty enough to blow you over. (correct me if I'm wrong though!) It looks as though we'll be seeing a bit more of these feisty windy lows for a while before we get any cold. At least we got out of the massively rubbish mild rut, but it just goes to show you have to be careful what you wish for.... roof tiles aren't cheap!!

Tonight, anyway, looks like it's going to be a crispy cold one, I'd not be surprised if it drops to -2 to -3, which is probably the coolest I've had here. Heating on!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Already 4C in Brighton and Hove and dropping, hope we see our first frost of the season tonight! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm sunny days, tons of snow!

Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday:

Sunday cloud and rain gradually clearing southwards, colder and breezy conditions with isolated showers will follow. Monday windy, cold, dry start then rain later. Tuesday sunshine, gales and wintry showers.

Updated: 1526 on Fri 9 Dec 2011

hi to all, back for the winter madness, looks like tuesday might see some flakes/sleet :)

Posted

No Snow for us...winter storms next week, Rain , strong winds and frosty nights...this trend runs up to Christmas, the difference this year so far is the jet stream is running from the north west to the south east....Green Christmas is on yer cards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

first frost of the season here and 0.1C this morning, both roofs and cars have a light layer of frost. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

Went to work this morning,out into the more of a rural area,so lovely looking across the fields everything white and crisp,roads were slippy though.

my petrol cap wouldnt flip open at the station!the car said -1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

Long way to go but signs of maybe a bit of snow in our neck of the woods on wed night. According to the 06z gfs at least it's a start. Being discussed in the model thread now

Posted

First ground frost of the season and the first minus temps overnight with a min of -2 DgC in the early hours.

I'm not looking at any snow on Wednesday as the monster that is Tuesday's low, is currently showing up as a huge gust potential over Kent and Sussex on Tuesday morning according to GFS:

http://forum.netweat...ost__p__2179513

This or Fridays low following may be something to experience if the models firm up nearer the time....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Went to work this morning,out into the more of a rural area,so lovely looking across the fields everything white and crisp,roads were slippy though.

my petrol cap wouldnt flip open at the station!the car said -1

Welcome to the forum, SJL! :good:

And yes, hopefully, something interesting will happen soon.

Posted

If I had outdoors Xmas decorations/lights/signage, based on the models, the discussion and the met o, I would seriously be considering bringing them inside temporarily next week.

Of course it might fizzle into nothing, but there's nothing sadder than a broken Santa. Stay safe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

I'm thinking cycling to work during this week may not be the best option.

I guess depending on the wind direction at the time it might make the journey quicker (or longer) though.

Am I right in thinking that currently in both cases for the SE the worst of these storms is currently progged for night time though?

Posted

Things are still looking interesting for our neck of the woods this week. The Met Office have updated the warnings for Monday night/Tuesday today: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/se/se_forecast_warnings.html

They don't go as far out to Friday yet...

Posted

I'm thinking cycling to work during this week may not be the best option.

I guess depending on the wind direction at the time it might make the journey quicker (or longer) though.

Am I right in thinking that currently in both cases for the SE the worst of these storms is currently progged for night time though?

At the moment it looks that It'll start kicking off Monday evening and then through the night clearing Tuesday daytime. (nice and ambiguous!!) The Thursday/Friday event Is looking to be an overnight as well, but we are still 96 hours away, so the beast could do anything between now and Thursday.

Posted

Things are still looking interesting for our neck of the woods this week. The Met Office have updated the warnings for Monday night/Tuesday today: http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

They don't go as far out to Friday yet...

Hi there snow raven,

Croydon Council received a very unusual advanced alert two weeks ago regarding a 60% chance of heavy snow leading upto Xmas. We shall see!

An alert has been issued to CC for gales for Monday pm into Tuesday. There will be an update coming through tomorrow regarding the severe storms later in the week.