Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

London And The South East Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
More like Madden! Though I am not sure that Madden has ever linked our weather with Nibiru? I think Yamkin is alone in that one :rofl: At least his forecast of impending doom from comet Elenin was wrong (I was very surprised :p ) and we are still here to witness the 100mph (40-50mph) winds and heavy snow (sleet that does not stick)!

Never said there would be doom from Elenin. The alignments enhanced certain factors. Never got that wrong. Gusts of +/- 100 mph in exposed areas. Heavy snow for a few hours. MetO's update later on will be interesting.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Think it will be too marginal on the coast.

Maybe some sleet in the heavier stuff.

I think two things you need tomorrow:

1. Be at least 10 miles inland

2. Be at least 100m up in terms of altitude.

:clap: Sounds about right!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

I think between 4pm and 7pm is gonna be a nervous few hours of model watching. You gotta love our winters.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Never said there would be doom from Elenin. The alignments enhanced certain factors. Never got that wrong. Gusts of +/- 100 mph in exposed areas. Heavy snow for a few hours. MetO's update later on will be interesting.

Where? The Central Massif?

I do like your posts Yamkin, they make me laugh, but some people may take some of what you say seriously.

Posted

Still pretty gusty along the coast overnight:

hir_gusts_eur27.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

Blue sky and sunshine has disappeared here and it's now clouding up plus the wind seems to be gusting whereas it wasn't earlier. Am watching the "wind chill/feels like" temperature on my weather station and in the past 2 minutes it's gone up from 6.2oC to 6.7oC and keeps going up - not noticed it do that before!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

I think as some have already said the best approach is to expect nothing and be pleasantly surprised. At barely 10 miles inland my gut instinct is we'll get "cold rain" with a bit of sleet. More worried about the winds to be honest. Still it's good to at least have some "weather" to talk about given the weeks of dross we've had!

Posted

METO downgraded gales and no snow?

http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

infact there are no warnings for snow anywhere? - at the moment

I think that's right for the area highlighted, in fact the rain is the biggest issue currently I guess in the lower part of our area. Still a chance for s dusting or more from Surrey and North Kent upwards?

Posted

Yellow Warning of Rain for London & South East England

Yellow Warning of Rain for London & South East England : Brighton and Hove, East Sussex, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Kent, Portsmouth, West Sussex, Southampton & Medway valid from 2000 Thu 15 Dec to 0900 Fri 16 Dec

Posted

Fresh warnings now out from Meto

Posted

Then tomorrow, snow still on for for some:

Issued at - 15 Dec 2011, 11:45

Valid from - 16 Dec 2011, 01:00

Valid to - 16 Dec 2011, 11:00

Outbreaks of rain will turn readily to snow during the early hours of Friday across parts of Wales and the Midlands, then increasingly into central southern England by dawn. The snow is likely to accumulate over time, particularly, but not exclusively over higher ground. The public should be prepared for travel disruption during Friday morning.

The public is advised to take extra care, further information and advice can be found here: http://www.metoffice...r/uk/links.html

Posted

BBC 24 saying Snow well South or Birmingham now, Wet snow for London, showing Rain here in Billericay no white here, still saying keep tuned as it can still change

Posted

Oh gawd - I can't keep up - it keeps changing on all sites!!! MetO now say rain first then snow London and SW and SE... Snow everywhere else from mids downwards

Posted

I guess the reality is that this is a complex set up and all the Meteorological experts/processionals are at the upper end of their capabilities in trying to decipher what might happen. Difficult for them to call as a few miles, mph or mm depth out and the whole world will come crashing down on them declaring that they can't predict this kind of thing.

I wouldn't be a professional weather person this week - but then I don't even make the ranks of amatuer any week.

Posted

I guess the reality is that this is a complex set up and all the Meteorological experts/processionals are at the upper end of their capabilities in trying to decipher what might happen. Difficult for them to call as a few miles, mph or mm depth out and the whole world will come crashing down on them declaring that they can't predict this kind of thing.

I wouldn't be a professional weather person this week - but then I don't even make the ranks of amatuer any week.

I agree, they could come out with there view and end up a hero or with egg on there faces. Very difficult to call and thats what makes our Brittish weather so interesting. We are currently 12-18 hours away and there is still no certainty. The 12z should nail this....exciting times ahead. I'l be happy just to see a flake in this set up, still a long way to go this winter :D

But hey what do I know, If i worked in the met office, this would probably sum my forecast up..

cgo0105l.jpg

Edited by lewis028

Posted

Very difficult to call and thats what makes our Brittish weather so interesting. We are currently 12-18 hours away and there is still no certainty. The 12z should nail this....exciting times ahead. I'l be happy just to see a flake in this set up, still a long way to go this winter :D

Here's the top man's view yesterday, I guess there may be an update today:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I hear the local radio is still warning of severe storms for the SE tonight :acute:

Posted

It is marginal now, they are damned if they do, damned if they dont, the press will be on there back if they get it wrong, especially the press like the daily panic ( mail ) there is a 40/50 mile error as they said this morning, this is the line between rain and snow its that close

Posted

I hear the local radio is still warning of severe storms for the SE tonight :acute:

You'll know if they are correct later if the radio is sucked out of your house by a gust of supercharged wind or a tornado. :p I guess you won't loose too much sleep where you are, although maybe a nice sprinkling of seasonal white stuff - well you are in Dickens's old stomping ground after all!

christmas-carol-2.jpg

Posted

Here's the top man's view yesterday, I guess there may be an update today:

Thanks for that coast, very interesting to see what the top man has to say, and I would of thought there would be an update in the next couple of hours.. :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I'm sticking to good old fashioned looking out the window from now on - its fail proof!

Absolutely. Never fails.