Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The South West Of England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: high pressure in summer, snow in winter

Afternoon guys everyone. (first post so please go easy on me!)

I've been a regular lurker on this site for the last 3 winters, I wish I hadn't found it as it's just to addictive for my liking! Love dipping between here and the Model Thread when there's cold and snow on the way.

I've got a very basic knowledge of weather and just starting to make head or tail of the charts from hanging around in here. Anyway I thought it was about time I got in on the fun.

I think for those of us below the M4, excluding maybe the highest ground elsewhere, tonight will be just out of our reach. We'll just have to wait until the new year for a stalling low when we have proper cold in place! :p

Good luck to the guys in our area still in the running for tonight.

WW

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Afternoon guys everyone. (first post so please go easy on me!)

I've been a regular lurker on this site for the last 3 winters, I wish I hadn't found it as it's just to addictive for my liking! Love dipping between here and the Model Thread when there's cold and snow on the way.

I've got a very basic knowledge of weather and just starting to make head or tail of the charts from hanging around in here. Anyway I thought it was about time I got in on the fun.

I think for those of us below the M4, excluding maybe the highest ground elsewhere, tonight will be just out of our reach. We'll just have to wait until the new year for a stalling low when we have proper cold in place! :p

Good luck to the guys in our area still in the running for tonight.

WW

Hi, Welcome to the forum.

You may be lucky tomorrow. It all depends how much of this colder air really digs in.

Tbh, Im not expecting much from this at all. Even with orange warnings.

Its far too knife edge and the PPN will pass by quickly ( few hours )

So not only are temps ok ish.. Its gonna be VERY wet, With wet snow landing on mild ground.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

I wish I could bank the 06z NAE! That is gert lush!

Posted

Hi Lynxus,

Yes, as you said its VERY marginal. More often than not in these set-ups my location comes out on the wrong side of marginal!lol :wallbash:

You never no eh, I might be pleasantly surprised!

Posted

Hi AWD,

Yes it is gurt lush!

The NAE was my best friend in Jan 10 when it threw up that snow event for us all out of nowhere (although in the end it wasn't as good as it could have been!)

Last year I remember it having large parts of our region in pink, then snow line moved north on later runs.

The local BBC have played down tonights snow potential, restricting it to the higher ground and the north fringe of our region (forest of dean, Cotswalds). I think they use the NAE with another model we don't see?

Still, the NAE12z will be out soon...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Ignoring the snow potential for a moment, the storm is now in the South West reaches, it looks very dark and wet on the Penzance web cams. http://www.cliffhotelpz.co.uk/html/webcam.html

Posted

Hi AWD,

Yes it is gurt lush!

The NAE was my best friend in Jan 10 when it threw up that snow event for us all out of nowhere (although in the end it wasn't as good as it could

have been!)

Last year I remember it having large parts of our region in pink, then snow line moved north on later runs.

The local BBC have played down tonights snow potential, restricting it to the higher ground and the north fringe of our region (forest of dean,

Cotswalds). I think they use the NAE with another model we don't see?

That's odd considering Ian F has been tweeting all day about possible distruption along the M4 corridor, and the NAE upgrading snow potential etc! See what he has to say on tonights Points West anyway!

12z will be out soon, so let's see what the latest is then! Gloucs and Wiltshire I think will be the places to be in the morning!

Posted

Hi AWD,

Yes it is gurt lush!

The NAE was my best friend in Jan 10 when it threw up that snow event for us all out of nowhere (although in the end it wasn't as good as it could have been!)

The local BBC have played down tonights snow potential, restricting it to the higher ground and the north fringe of our region (forest of dean, Cotswalds). I think they use the NAE with another model we don't see?

Yes they use the UKV as well, which will have a better handle and where the heavy precip is likely to be located.

12Z NAE trickling out, with little change so far, maybe a touch colder air that the low comes into.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

A very prominent line of cirrus ahea of altostratus and stratocumulus beneath that moving in from the southwest.

Not holding out much hope for tonight/tomorrow. Though it would produce a snowfall on the same Friday in December as last year.

Posted

NAE is rolling out.

Looks like snow from midnight!

11121606_1512.gif

Posted

Oooh, the NAE looks better already! Keep it up please! Lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, frosty / Warm but not hot with a steady breeze

had this little beauty pop up over from Radstock this morning 8am ish!post-12385-0-87309500-1323962290_thumb.j

Posted

Really brings the cooler air south.

Northern areas i tink will start to see snow from 11pm ish

11121612_1512.gif

Posted

Yep NAE digs the colder air in quicker and pushes the snow further south by 20-30 miles from the previous run by 6am Friday.

Could well be some happy scenes when the sun comes up.

Is it plausible though Iceberg? The NAE has consistently upgraded the snow potential for our region over it's last few runs now! It's making me wary that it hasn't really got a handle on this yet!

Nevertheless, very good to see

Posted

Is it plausible though Iceberg? The NAE has consistently upgraded the snow potential for our region over it's last few runs now! It's making me wary that it hasn't really got a handle on this yet!

Nevertheless, very good to see

I think it is plausible, we have seen some howlers even by the NAE within the 24 hr time range, so definately a degree of now casting.

If you have the precip type NETW radar then the first signs of the cold air digging in at the NAE timeframe will be key. I have but will be fast asleep at midnight !. :) I am rather a lightweight unless the puppy dog wakes me up in the middle of the night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Anyone know how much the temperature is set to go up as the rain approaches? It is currently 4.7C and felt bitter while I was waiting in the playground for the kids to come out of school, just thinking if things start off cooler to begin with, whether it ups the snow potential at this low ASL!

Posted

Really brings the cooler air south.

Northern areas i tink will start to see snow from 11pm ish

11121612_1512.gif

I'm happy then our prospects look good for tonight Lynxus,probably only a few cm's but who cares snow might be rare this winter?

Posted

That's odd considering Ian F has been tweeting all day about possible distruption along the M4 corridor, and the NAE upgrading snow potential etc! See what he has to say on tonights Points West anyway!

That's because Jemma Cooper was on the lunchtime forecast and is very untechnical/knowledgeable in her forecasts, roll on Ian Fergusson at 18.50 for a proper, descriptive, knowledgeable and insightful forecast!

had this little beauty pop up over from Radstock this morning 8am ish!post-12385-0-87309500-1323962290_thumb.j

Stunning, I was working outside in Trowbridge and could see a line of CBs to the West reflecting the rising sun.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Latest weather forecast I just saw at 4.30 on the bbc news 24 channel showed the snow line way further south now, my location is in on the action according to that, be interesting to see what ian shows on the local forecast later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

This is what was issued to all employees by Somerset County Council earlier this afternoon:

Introduction

Yesterday SLACCU published a warning of high/gale force winds, rain turning to snow Thursday overnight and Friday morning. The Met Office has now downgraded its assessment/forecasts. The anticipated Atlantic Storm over Thursday night is now tracking further South through the English Channel. This has allowed a northerly airstream to track further south over the UK. At 1000 hrs this morning (Thursday) the Met Office issued a “Cold Weather Alert Level 2†which was cascaded at 1100 hrs.

We are still expecting to see severe weather across the Southwest of England tonight and tomorrow, and whilst it now seems almost certain that the strongest winds will affect France rather than us, there will still be plenty of rain and snow around across the southern half of England.

Severe Weather Avon & Somerset Area

Rain on and off during Thursday, with winds picking up and blowing from the Southeast during the evening. Wind speeds peaking at around midnight, but not likely to be strong enough by themselves to cause any significant impacts, but nevertheless a pretty foul evening to be out and about. After about 6am on Friday morning the rain will begin to turn to sleet and snow. At lower levels in Somerset it's most likely fall as sleet only, but the higher communities will probably see a little snow perhaps enough to cause some difficulties on roads in Mendips/Exmoor.

Snow is likely to be rather heavier in “Avon Area†and Wiltshire and will give more scope for disruption to travel networks again especially as it will coincide with the travel to work period. Large amounts of snow are not expected over Somerset although snow/slush may cause some minor disruption during the morning commute. By midday the snow will be clearing, and in most areas any snow on the ground will be thawing steadily. Friday night will be cold enough to mean an ice risk in some places.

Weekend weather is very unlikely to be disruptive...although there may be a few wintry showers around.

Severe Cold Weather Alert: Level 2 remains in force.