Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms - 12th December 2011 Onwards Part 2

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

A level 1 was issued for parts of northern UK mainly for severe winds.

Storm Forecast

Valid: Tue 13 Dec 2011 06:00 to Wed 14 Dec 2011 06:00 UTC

Issued: Mon 12 Dec 2011 21:42

Forecaster: KOROSEC

SYNOPSIS

A large trough remains dominant feature across much of Europe. The main focus of interest is a rapidly developing surface cyclogenesis developing NW of UK moving east and affecting Scotland. Associated with this low, a cold front moves from the North Sea east across the central Europe. Another short-wave trough crosses Adriatic sea into S Balkans while transforming into an upper low.

http://www.estofex.org/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Sorry for being a bit IMBYnistioc here but the south for once is getting a good soaking so courtesy of the wonderful NW v5 radar I give you this. :drinks:

Many more hours of rain to come it seems. Oh and not forgetting tomorrows showers, Wednesdays rain/hill snow?, Thursdays lull before Fridays potential deluge too.

post-7183-0-90964900-1323728698_thumb.jp

Soggy Regards

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

Hello everyone really gusty in Portsmouth and some nutter is letting off fireworks!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Pressure here is 990.2 and dropping at the rate of 4.7hpa and hour. Thats a bombogenisis by any standards !

I'm not sure if the low is bombing. Just because the pressure is dropping quickly at a fixed point, doesn't mean that the low is deepening at that rate, it's just because it is making a relatively quick transition across you/and or the gradient is steep.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Meto still going with a rapidly developing depression for Thursday, latest fax shows the storm racing towards SW Ireland.

A brave call from the Meto given that most op model outputs do not support this evolution, they must have reasonable confidence on this outcome with no backing down.

UKWW reckon gusts of 60-75knts (70-85mph) could occur over N Ireland, Scotland and the Irish Sea areas from tomorrows storm.

post-9615-0-19343300-1323728776_thumb.pn

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Best storm so far I have seen in this house and I have been in here for 3 years. Blowing quite nicely I would guestimate 65mph gusts? My conservatory is not liking this weather though, I would estimate a 100mm puddle in it by the morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Ever since the 1987 storm I've been worried about this sort of whether. Never used to be but I guess it;s being a home owner.

Anyway it's blowing a gale out there and due to get worse before it gets better. In for a sleepless night I fear. Yes I know...wimp!!! :help:

Welcome to netweather fedupandenglish, :)

We will certainly keep you updated here. Stay safe down there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sunshine. Frost.

Welcome to netweather fedupandenglish, :)

We will certainly keep you updated here. Stay safe down there!

Thanks for that, much appreciated....and I meant weather, not whether...doh! :80:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Anyone see the guy reporting from Mudeford on BBC news at 10 a second ago? Poor fella looked like he was getting lashed. Plus in the background were a load of kids on bikes and people in their cars looking out to sea. Don't take risks folks!(made me chuckle a bit though)

Edited by Teamjollie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

The cluster of showers from s.e. Ireland to south west England, this is the feature that may bring tornadoes etc?

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Anyone see the guy reporting from Mudeford on BBC news at 10 a second ago? Poor fella looked like he was getting lashed. Plus in the background were a load of kids on bikes and people in their cars looking out to sea. Don't take risks folks!(made me chuckle a bit though)

He looked like he had a bucket of water thrown over him - but those in the background looked hardly bothered by the weather at all!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

lol agree about the poor guy at Mudeford. Following general forecast was interesting though, MO still certain of another interesting day on Thursday, hurrah!

I really should go to bed now but bed = no forums / weather watching :cray:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Sorry for being a bit IMBYnistioc here but the south for once is getting a good soaking so courtesy of the wonderful NW v5 radar I give you this. :drinks:

Many more hours of rain to come it seems. Oh and not forgetting tomorrows showers, Wednesdays rain/hill snow?, Thursdays lull before Fridays potential deluge too.

post-7183-0-90964900-1323728698_thumb.jp

Soggy Regards

gottolovethisweather

Great balls of fire...sorry... rain... :air_kiss: thank you GTLTW for the radar grab.. we are schoooaking... :air_kiss:

Posted

And for those with the NWRadar, the 'clump' of cells in the south is part of the LEWP (mesoscale low pressure area) feature following along the frontal boundary's that TORRO is estimating could potentially bring down a funnel or two overnight in these areas as it crosses the south.

Posted

And for those with the NWRadar, the 'clump' of cells in the south is part of the LEWP (mesoscale low pressure area) feature following along the frontal boundary's that TORRO is estimating could potentially bring down a funnel or two overnight in these areas as it crosses the south.

Oh dear, I don't have that radar, where roughly is this area at the moment?

Cheif Wiggam, what page are you looking at on Chimet? I am puzzled as the Chimet I am looking at is showing the pressure has dropped now to 990 and I can't see any rise. The winds do seem to be easing a bit but I think it is due to the wind changing direction slightly and becoming more sheltered by the IOW. Here in Bognor it still sounds just as gusty. Also the gusts are still up to Force 10

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Line Echo Wave Pattern.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Yes SJ, can you encircle the area on a radar grab please or indicate its current position. :good:

Also do you or any other experts in here know the current position of the COLD FRONT?

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Oh dear, I don't have that radar, where roughly is this area at the moment?

The home counties is the main area at risk currently, but the TORRO watch is practically for all the south overnight.

http://www.torro.org.uk/site/forecast.php

Posted

Things still seem to be picking up here, I'm well in land and getting sustained 22.4mph gusting 33.1

Pressure still dropping 985.9mb falling 2.4mb\hr

Temp up to 11.8c and DP of 11.1 and rising 1.0c/hr

Rain so far today 16.8mm falling at 7.6mm/hr and more to come.

Only 33mph in Blandford? Its far worse than that here in Wimborne.

Posted

More incident's coming in over turned lorries..QE2 bridge closed too :S :

http://www.bbc.co.uk...oads/unplanned/

It's not even that windy (I can see the Dartford Bridge from where I live) so an genuinely surprised it's closed when a burp could cause more damage. Maybe they have closed it early, acting on METO warnings?