Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms - 12th December 2011 Onwards Part 2

Coast

Posted

Strange that GFS and ECM have changed severity of Fridays storm , but UK MO still have high confidence on severe high winds for UK as stated in last forecast.

So do they have more confidence in their own model.

GFS has a tendency to show something in Fi which it then drops before bringing it back late on, however normally its about now it brings it back.

If Meto still keep warning on broadcasts tomorrow then their hi rez model will obviously be continuing with forecasted storm. Just a tad worried now that other models have picked something up. The NAE seems to have picked the Shortwave coming into the Southwest in 48 hrs time, is that the first sign of a change?

Few flood Alerts creeping up now - forecasts seem to all give rainfall of large qty for uk for friday still river cameras may be interesting tomorrow

Edit Just looked again at 18z fax charts and the Meto already accounted for that shortwave so can only assume they still have high confidence on their model and rate it better than GFS in this instance. Looking at GFS the system comes further South with still gales but more effect for South UK, perhaps thats why they still have confidence as either senario gives Gales at minimum to somewhere in UK

Edited by pyrotech

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

It's certainly been a wet and windy evening here but nothing unusual. The max' gust so far is 48 mph at 2024 and as we're now in the warm sector the temp' has risen to 6.2c, its highest value of the day.

About 9 mm of rain according to the accumulation feature on NW radar.

Posted

Only 33mph in Blandford? Its far worse than that here in Wimborne.

Yeah unfortunately my weather station is a little sheltered from the south so I do expect its a little stronger than showing.

Posted

Phew - pretty blowy out there now in middlesex, just got back from our christmas party in our greenhouse at work - I was just wondering what the weather charts looked like for the 87 storm the evening before?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

power just went off briefly here

Same, I've had the lights flickering on and off since about 9.30. Few car alarms going off as well. The garden flat downstairs has potted plant casualties.

Torch at the ready...

Posted

i just saw someones sense of humour flying past my window....

local weather station has max gusts at 17mph! they must me sheltered because its wild out there and the big trees over the road are swaying scarily!!

Posted

Other than a carrier bag waft briefly past my window, I've not noticed anything out of the ordinary - things are pretty quiet this neck of the woods - not even had a light flicker!

Posted

Current NWRADAR grab (22:35) with the LEWP and surface low aiding convective cells ahead of it across the home counties.

post-8763-0-03075700-1323730254_thumb.jp

those convective cells will have some very strong winds associated with them . a very stormy few hours to come for the south east i think .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

right im off to try and get some sleep,cant see it getting much worse now,very bloody noisy though .Stay safe and sleep well everyone :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sunshine. Frost.

i just saw someones sense of humour flying past my window....

local weather station has max gusts at 17mph! they must me sheltered because its wild out there and the big trees over the road are swaying scarily!!

Same here In Horley. Going to bed now to try and get some sleep..some chance!!

Posted

My boyfriend is driving back from Bognor to Billingshurst, he just texted and said a few trees are down.

Hope he isn't going via Whiteways roundabout at the top of Bury Hill as the road is blocked there by a fallen tree. I suppose he could go via Amberly but then he is just as likely to find a fallen tree that way.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Oh ? what wind speed in London?

not sure as i don't have a meter but we seem to be getting more very long gusty sessions followed by strange, shorter lulls.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Also do you or any other experts in here know the current position of the COLD FRONT?

gottolovethisweather

Anybody?

Posted

Anybody?

Hi gotto, not me. :nea:

Now back up to gusting to Force 11 on Chimet and Force 9 sustained/ And high tide is injust over an hour so some overtopping I should think some overtopping of seawater. Fortunately not the largest tides at the moment.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Gusts are not as frequent as they were, however that heavy load of rain is heading my way.

Do I put the Bins out or not? Ho Hum.....................can always take them to the dump I suppose. Our Bin Men are here before 7 so I could get up a bit earlier and put them out.

Blimey, how sad am I?? lol :cray:

Posted

not sure as i don't have a meter but we seem to be getting more very long gusty sessions followed by strange, shorter lulls.

Here In Paris it too get very breezy( nearing 40 with gusts not bad is it?) and rain now.