Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms - 12th December 2011 Onwards Part 2

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Thats one hell of a hook forming near the centre of the Low.

Plus we have 3 centres which was forecast by or noticed intime for surface pressure chart (fax charts) which meto put together with human input not just computer.

i have marked all 3 below.

post-5585-0-71185200-1323733198_thumb.pn

Never seen anything like it. :acute:

Amazing, is it possible one of the them is a fabled Polar Low? I imagine not, but I did see some Fax charts showing a trough along the south late Tuesday into Wednesday. The Berkshire GFS ensembles I looked at hinted at a double dip before Thursday/Fridays event too.

A cold weather fan by nature but this active period certainly appears to be making up for it for now.

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

9.4c now rising roughly 1.1c an hour.

Winds seem to have died down a little, strongest gust was around 2.5hours ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Very squally gusts with this second line of heavy ppn coming through and intensifying.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Tried my first effort at sleep and failed, not bothered because I was expecting this ever since Friday, max gust just hit 51mph here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Tried my first effort at sleep and failed, not bothered because I was expecting this ever since Friday, max gust just hit 51mph here!

It's really gusting here now isn't it.. I haven't even bothered trying to sleep yet. I think aside from the loud gusts, it could be quite nice to sleep to though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Either I'm getting used to the noise, or I'm in a bitnf a weird lull at the moment. Rain has become lighter, wind is not as fierce.

I'm saying this now, my luck the window boxes will be off Down the road any moment..

Posted

Thats one hell of a hook forming near the centre of the Low.

Plus we have 3 centres which was forecast by or noticed intime for surface pressure chart (fax charts) which meto put together with human input not just computer.

i have marked all 3 below.

post-5585-0-71185200-1323733198_thumb.pn

very interestingl would like to know more about these features - maybe one or more is a polar low.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

For anyone with an airband scanner here's a winning pilot quote "can we try another level coz we're getting kicked to hell up here!"

Suddenly I remember why I don't fly!

Posted

Some bright blobs heading my way (North Cornwall coast) on the NW radar - have only just subscribed this week so still trying to figure out how it works (especially on my ipod).

Fairly gusty here - but nothing too exceptional. Have had quite heavy rain throughout the evening but seems to have stopped for now.....

Reckon within the next hour or so that heavier band may reach me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

What is the icecream cone shaped symbol in hampshire on meteocentre sferics now?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

For anyone with an airband scanner here's a winning pilot quote "can we try another level coz we're getting kicked to hell up here!"

haha!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm & partly cloudy.

http://casperflights.com/unified/?location=egkk

This is a good tracking to see how aircraft are doing.

If you click on a aircraft it can show you their routes and holding patterns especially down London area. Even seen go arounds for Manchester Airport every so often.

It's very accurate.

Posted

very interestingl would like to know more about these features - maybe one or more is a polar low.

2nd one along is forecast to merge with main low, third one i believe forecast to swing Southwards towards Wales and Southwest England, it may increase rainfall there which will just top things up ready for torrential rain that may occur Friday. NAE still sees storm for Friday, i looked at GFS and 18z seemed to move back towards original storm track marginally, i would expect GFS to make slight adjustments back now as meto and NAe are so sure of this. Tomorrow we will see which model blinks first

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

http://casperflights.com/unified/?location=egkk

This is a good tracking to see how aircraft are doing.

If you click on a aircraft it can show you their routes and holding patterns especially down London area. Even seen go arounds for Manchester Airport every so often.

It's very accurate.

Cheers, I use flightradar24.com - also very accurate ;-)

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Glad tonight's not the night to put out the wheely bins and recycling bins, it does make an awful racket in these winds, though more of a problem after the bins are emptied!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Some bright blobs heading my way (North Cornwall coast) on the NW radar - have only just subscribed this week so still trying to figure out how it works (especially on my ipod).

Fairly gusty here - but nothing too exceptional. Have had quite heavy rain throughout the evening but seems to have stopped for now.....

Reckon within the next hour or so that heavier band may reach me.

Welcome Erby,

I agree with your assessment of your rainband.

My predition for the clearance of the FRONTAL RAIN would be roughly as follows. Main rainband clearing through between 00:30 and 01:30 for Newbury/Reading region, 02:00 to 02:30 West/Central London and 04:00 to 06:00 for parts of extreme SouthEast.

The real fun may well be the squally showers that Erby and others are mentioning though. A good squall will also soon be approaching Swansea. I guess this is the 2nd cold front. :db: ??? The MetO actually has my location down for Thundery type showers after the rainband, so will shall see. :w00t:

10.8c now yikes, it sure will be dropping like a stone for tomorrows wintry showers at this rate!

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Glad tonight's not the night to put out the wheely bins and recycling bins, it does make an awful racket in these winds, though more of a problem after the bins are emptied!

I just put mine out. In Bags with heavy stuff in the bottom. If it's all over the place in the morning I will blame the new people who just moved in our close today!

[won't really] Luckily our council don't like bins..................................................Yay.

Here is ECM low tracks and developments

post-5585-0-81554200-1323734997_thumb.jp

I'm sure it's very good but I do prefer pencil drawings etc. Must be an age thing. Too much going on to see properly on that link. Any chance of making it bigger?

Cheers. CJ

Looks like I have missed that rainband. However, Enfield, Watford have it instead. It must be p*ssing down there.

Posted

completely wild here in North Brighton on top of a hill with the wind coming up from the sea! Calmed down for a bit about half an hour a go but the gusts seem to be picking up momentum again now, worst was between 11 and 12 I would say. Not easy to sleep with the bedroom window facing the tree lined street!

Posted

I just put mine out. In Bags with heavy stuff in the bottom. If it's all over the place in the morning I will blame the new people who just moved in our close today!

[won't really] Luckily our council don't like bins..................................................Yay.

I'm sure it's very good but I do prefer pencil drawings etc. Must be an age thing. Too much going on to see properly on that link. Any chance of making it bigger?

Cheers. CJ

Looks like I have missed that rainband. However, Enfield, Watford have it instead. It must be p*ssing down there.

Will look at getting bigger ones tomorrow

Basically each is a forecast track and further North it tracks the deeper ECM thinks it will be.

Posted

completely wild here in North Brighton on top of a hill with the wind coming up from the sea! Calmed down for a bit about half an hour a go but the gusts seem to be picking up momentum again now, worst was between 11 and 12 I would say. Not easy to sleep with the bedroom window facing the tree lined street!

I'm a bit west of you but agree about it being most intense between 11 and 12, walked my girlfriend home at 11 and felt pretty nervous walking below some of the old trees! I've seen a few posts saying winds could increase in the south east up until 3 to 4:30am but dunno if we have seen the worst now?

Posted

I was just about to try and sleep but I think you might be right, the gusts dont seem to be abating for long and they are strong still, all the doors are rattling! and this isnt as strong as the winds predicted, possibly, for Thursday/Friday,