Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion - Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

pressure pattern looks like yesterdays, sorry about my post on other thread AJ, just ive never had netweather extra, and I would have thought all radars are the same, or does the netweather one give precip type?

no worries matey...The NW extra radar is an absolute corker, especially the v6...I still use v4 most of the time, includes 5 minute updates, ppn type, lightning detection, and gfs modelling overlays (T850's, lapse rates, wind direction/speeds at various altitudes & a raft more,) all for the price of a pint a month, you just can't go wrong

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

If not another flake of snow or blob of sleet falls here in the remainder of December, in the last 34 years there will only have been 4 Decembers with more days of sleet/snow falling, and 7 with more days with snow lying at 0900 than this one. (14 and 8 respectively so far)

For a month that's never been really cold that's not bad going and is a testament to the benefits of altitude in polar maritime air flows.

Edited by Terminal Moraine

Posted

Looks like its set in stone now that there would of been only two days with falling snow in 2011, Friday 7th January and Friday 16th December (although that was only for 10 minutes anyway).

Dissapointing cold spell here in that there was so much potential but never delivered.

Posted

Snow virtually gone now, just a bit hanging on to grass & gardens. I suppose it's better than that horrible, treacherous frozen slush I was trying to walk on today!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

the showers already streaming in from the dreaded cheshire gap, just hope it runs out of steam by tomorrow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

C'mon folks! This thread isn't just about snow, it's about all things weather, & during times of quiet weather, a place to shake off your brolly, grab a warm drink (or a cold one if you prefer) pop yourself in a comfy seat and relax whilst chatting amongst friends :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Been feeling slightly warmer out their than what the temperature has been suggesting. Just over 5*C at the moment, and currently got some soggy weather invading my house. 3*C colder, and it could have been falling as sleet (lol). Still, it's been giving the plants something to drink. :D

Posted

Ok, I'll bite...wasn't going to post in here for a while but a shame to see the thread not being used.

A good old proper December evening soaking out there. Just ran my car very fast over a central reservation of a road that I didn't see due to all the reflections and standing water. Beached my car...it made a terrific crunching sound but amazingly I can't see any damage. Car felt fine driving home...felt like a plonker though.

My first thought was, "I'll be really annoyed that I got my car safely through December 2010 yet damage it on a soggy night in December 2011!"

Think I got away with that one...now wait to see if there is a puddle of oil under my car tomorrow.

Bring back the ice and snow..apparently I'm less dangerous in that!

Edited by Gord

Posted

I still read the thread AJ but if there's nowt to say......all snow gone today, rain on & off, cold but not that cold. All in all meh! Atleast I didn't have to walk like a little old woman today for fear of falling :lol:

Edited by davehsug

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Well then fellow midlanders... Is everyone ready for the next 2 weeks of mild nothingness? :lol:

Yes, it doesn't look very inspiring. If it's got to be mild I'm hoping the high pressure to the south moves a bit further south than shown on the charts to at least give us a chance of some decent rain, and perhaps some strong winds.

There does seem to be a glimmer of hope in FI that some sort of cold zonality will return but situations with high pressure just to the south of Britain and deep areas of low pressure to the north make me nervous.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

There's a little frisson of excitement over on the start thread this morning - don't understand it properly, but might be worth keeping an eye on for those who do....

Posted

Been a wet month here with 39.8mm of rain to midnight - just 0.2mm above average for the date, but compared with the past 12 months still not bad. Will we get another 20mm+ though to give the first above average month since Oct 2010? I don't think so .... Apart from the cold front coming down on Friday, GFS suggests no significant rain for the Midlands till at least the end of the year.

Posted

Yes, it doesn't look very inspiring. If it's got to be mild I'm hoping the high pressure to the south moves a bit further south than shown on the charts to at least give us a chance of some decent rain, and perhaps some strong winds.

There does seem to be a glimmer of hope in FI that some sort of cold zonality will return but situations with high pressure just to the south of Britain and deep areas of low pressure to the north make me nervous.

I would like the opposite! lets hope the high moves further north, too keep things dry, and maybe frosty, Xmas day looks fairly chilly, high not quite far enough north for real inversion cold, will be similar to 05 and 06

Posted

There's a little frisson of excitement over on the start thread this morning - don't understand it properly, but might be worth keeping an eye on for those who do....

Morning Fizz, yes it's increasing use of the term SSW (Sudden Stratospheric Warming - I think) that has the more learned jumping around like children on christmas morning!....I'll be the first to admit that I don't know the technical mechanics of this phenomena, but my basic understanding is that if SSW occurs then blocking high pressure is encouraged to develop which if it's in the right place can also encourage a colder continental air pattern to evolve...I've also read that it's not SSW that encourages favourable synoptics, but indeed the other way around, ie it's the synoptic pattern that encourages SSW.....Confused? good, that makes two of us! :lol:

Posted

Morning Fizz, yes it's increasing use of the term SSW (Sudden Stratospheric Warming - I think) that has the more learned jumping around like children on christmas morning!....I'll be the first to admit that I don't know the technical mechanics of this phenomena, but my basic understanding is that if SSW occurs then blocking high pressure is encouraged to develop which if it's in the right place can also encourage a colder continental air pattern to evolve...I've also read that it's not SSW that encourages favourable synoptics, but indeed the other way around, ie it's the synoptic pattern that encourages SSW.....Confused? good, that makes two of us! :lol:

I used to think it meant south south west! but the models seem to be flirting with some kind of northerly early Jan, wonder if its linked to the possible stratosphere warming

Posted

I used to think it meant south south west! but the models seem to be flirting with some kind of northerly early Jan, wonder if its linked to the possible stratosphere warming

So did I ! ...shush, don't tell anyone :winky:

Posted

In the present it's the most tropical winter equinox day for years here, currently 12.9c with sunny spells and light winds, feeling rather springlike.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

ME TOO!!! :lol: (till i read AJ's remark above!)

Posted

Felt rather pleasant for a time this afternoon when the sun came out. Took the dog up Kinver Edge and it was glorious.

Cloud rolling back in now.

Now if we can get some sun in during this prolonged mild spell that we are currently facing...then that wouldn't be too bad would it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

I'm still feeling a bit 'snowicidal' though, as I really want it to be snowy and cold for Chrimbo! Spring weather should come in springtime! lol! :fool:

Posted

Yeah, I know how you feel...but we can't change what weather we get..so we have to make the most of it.

I have my dog walks worked out for whatever mild weather is thrown at us.

Wet and windy mild weather means an exposed hill.

Sunny and clear weather means any hill.

Grey and boring mild weather means a walk in a forest.

The nice thing is, whatever the weather...the great British public are always out walking their dogs and having a generally nice time so the atmosphere is always good!

The downside is that at this time of year, all walks now require my heavy duty boots and blankets on the seat of the car for the dog!

Posted

the 12Z shows snow for the SE of this region on friday, dosent excite me as im north west,

maybe a 12 hour window of snow somewhere around next thurs

Posted

Blimey, they're talking about the northwesterlies possibly returning in the model chat.

I know it delivers for some..but they've proved to be useless here. A long mild spell to get through first anyway so things may and will change.

This end of the winter is certainly not a West Midlands one that's for sure.

never mind...Merry Christmas everyone!