Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts - 2012

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Would love to know where these shower clusters in the southeast should be. Just cloudy and chilly here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Some fantastic anvils on the horizon this morning. Definately anvils, which is surprisinjg considering I didn't think storms were forecast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Wow already on my 2nd day of storms, what an evening we have had thunder, lightning, massive hail and snow on the hills :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

We have only had heavy showers here today with some small hail. No thunder though so day 0 so far of any storms in 2012.

Suprised there wasn't any lightning to be honest as there were quite a lot of dark cumilonimbus clouds covouring the whole sky. :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Wow already on my 2nd day of storms, what an evening we have had thunder, lightning, massive hail and snow on the hills :o

:girl_devil: How lucky are you Sk? nothing for me again. I'm trying to be positive for the rest of the year that I will and I repeat WILL get something eventually :lol:

Posted

We have only had heavy showers here today with some small hail. No thunder though so day 0 so far of any storms in 2012.

Suprised there wasn't any lightning to be honest as there were quite a lot of dark cumilonimbus clouds covouring the whole sky. :cc_confused:

Most lightning in the winter months will be near to the coast due to the difference in temperatures between the sea and land.

That's why the frequency has been higher along parts of the South Coast and Bristol Channel areas this last few days.

Posted

Yep!!!! Driving home down the A27 to the East side of the Downs I could see the flashes of inter-cloud lightning from 6.45 until 7.15pm last night. Very bright but well out to sea and sporadic.

A very nice way to light my way home! :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Stop showing off :angry:

Posted

Any of those fantastic Convective forecasts with those charts for us Coast?? for this Saturday?

I know what you're thinking Robbie!!!!

Nothing of note for Saturday really and it only shows a little bit of something going on Sunday as that triple point reaches the SE:

gfs_layer_eur45.png

gfs_icon10_eur45.png

gfs_omega_eur45.png

gfs_spout_eur45.png

gfs_lapse2_eur45.png

I wouldn't rule out some convective possibility, but I think it may be down to now-casting and a bit of radar. Now as for thundersnow.........

Its all up in the air!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

I know what you're thinking Robbie!!!!

Ah fantastic Coast!!!

Yes, an absolute London Covering, or for once some decent Thunder? It's generally when you least expect it, that it comes along and I was thinking this surely is an ideal situation for something special to happen, especially for the south east.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Evening all :D

Has anybody down South got lightening across the sea? I ask because I have just had an email from the IOW thunderstorm alert Lol

I think it may be wrong somehow! :unsure:

But just thought I'd ask, you know how it goes, I want a storm Lol :winky:

Guest QuantumSnow

Evening all :D

Has anybody down South got lightening across the sea? I ask because I have just had an email from the IOW thunderstorm alert Lol

I think it may be wrong somehow! :unsure:

But just thought I'd ask, you know how it goes, I want a storm Lol :winky:

Hi Jane,

I'm just on the wrong side of the downs to see the sea but nothing here in West Sussex. No echoes showing up on any radar that I can see, not here anyway. If the alerts are automated (which they almost certainly are) then there are quite a few factors which could trick the system into doing so.

Sorry lovely, here's to a better 2012 storm season though eh? Let's face it, can't be much worse than it has been for us! :rolleyes: :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

The cold front tomorrow could have squall potential - one to watch.

Posted

Hi Jane,

I'm just on the wrong side of the downs to see the sea but nothing here in West Sussex. No echoes showing up on any radar that I can see, not here anyway. If the alerts are automated (which they almost certainly are) then there are quite a few factors which could trick the system into doing so.

Sorry lovely, here's to a better 2012 storm season though eh? Let's face it, can't be much worse than it has been for us! :rolleyes: :lol:

Oh, I do hope 2012 is going to be the year QS lol, I know I say it every year, but ....... :winky: Anyway, I shall raise my glass to the biggest most exciting 2012 summer season of storms Lol :drunk:

Guest QuantumSnow

Oh, I do hope 2012 is going to be the year QS lol, I know I say it every year, but ....... :winky: Anyway, I shall raise my glass to the biggest most exciting 2012 summer season of storms Lol :drunk:

'Chink'!! :drinks:

If we don't get any decent storm potential this year I swear i'm going to purchase a massive Van de Graaf generator so we can all get together for some 'guaranteed' electricity at mine :lol: (bring a bottle though Jane!) :good:

Edited by QuantumSnow

Posted

'Chink'!! :drinks:

If we don't get any decent storm potential this year I swear i'm going to purchase a massive Van de Graaf generator so we can all get together for some 'guaranteed' electricity at mine :lol: (bring a bottle though Jane!) :good:

I'll be there QS :D I'll bring a bottle and we can also watch some awsome storms on you tube.I'll also bring my nature sounds of thunderstorms so we can play it in the background to make it all seem oh, so real Lol. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

HUGE anvil to my distant south earlier, presumably it was the cold front finally pepping up to the east of the Pennines. The temperature gradient must be quite steep, but probably not enough for thunder.

Hopefully I'll be visiting this thread a lot in the coming months, the last few years have been quite good for storms in the NE.

Edited by Alza 2

Guest QuantumSnow

I'll be there QS :D I'll bring a bottle and we can also watch some awsome storms on you tube.I'll also bring my nature sounds of thunderstorms so we can play it in the background to make it all seem oh, so real Lol. :lol:

LOL!! Well that's sorted then, i'll get the projector and big screen out ready for youtube!! If we slip my neighbours a fiver they might flash their torch for us every so often to keep us on our toes!!! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

darker now than 8 this morning ,wind picking up rain moderate . all the jackdaws are gone ,just flown of in a big flock . looks like an hour or so of v heavy rain . best of luck for you up north ,this could be youre day ,regards legritter :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Chance of some thundery showers skirting the far NW of Scotland on Friday night. Just a low risk, but there's nothing else worth posting in here at the moment :)