Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Discussion - 16th January

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Synoptically there is not far for the cold air mass boundaries to change for during the next few runs to leave us in the cold air.

And I think that everything will be a little further west as the negative zonal mean anomalies put a stop on the eastward flow.

Just for FUN, at T+192:

post-4523-0-45997000-1326733129_thumb.pn

Reminds me of Dads Army. So close for the south.

You are such a tease Chinio. :rofl:

The floodgates should certainly be opened in the not so distant future and to my mind, one question remains.

From which direction, will the Dad's Army battalions be attacking us?

At this stage, come t+120 and beyond, I would hedge my bets at say, 60% in favour of the north west, 30% in favour of the north east and only 10% likelihood a south western air mass attack.

I am most definitely looking forward to the next few runs from all the various models.

Regards

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Guys a will take a large slice of PTB 1 to go please-

http://modeles.meteo...-1-1-150.png?12

OR 5

http://modeles.meteo...-5-1-162.png?12

OR 7

http://modeles.meteo...-7-1-144.png?12

OR 11

http://modeles.meteo...11-1-156.png?12

Or 15

http://modeles.meteo...15-1-180.png?12

Or 18

http://modeles.meteo...18-1-180.png?12

Remember the prediction ENSEMBLE MEAN to -8c for londres on the 23rd

The GFS is edging west every run!

S

Sure is >

h500slp.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

GFS at 144 we are so close to a cold easterly:

gfsnh-2012011612-0-144.png?12

...but it doesn't quite reach us. But if you compare this chart with the corresponding chart from the GFS 6z (below), we are closer to being affected by that easterly. As Nick Sussex said, the PV is more elongated, and that pesky low sitting over southern Greenland has more energy going north rather than east compared to the 6z. As a result the easterly edges a little closer, and we see more ridging of heights towards Svalbard from the Russian high. If we can see the PV back a little further west, and if the low over S. Greenland continues to see energy diverted north, rather than east (i.e become less flat) then that gives us a greater chance that the easterly will reach our shores on the GFS.

Here is the GFS 6z for the same time to compare:

gfsnh-2012011606-0-150.png?6

Plenty of potential out to 144 on the GFS. Whether that potential will translate to an outcome remains to be seen.

Edited by danm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

We will have to see what the ECM shows later but to me the GFS and UKM are pretty close out to T144hrs..showing a colder NW flow but with the deeper cold just to our east.

http://www.meteociel...44-21.GIF?16-17

http://modeles.meteo...12-0-144.png?12

That Azores high is still reluctant at this stage to move far enough away to allow that trough from Scandinavia to disrupt further west which would bring the cold to us.

It`s a close thing on these runs with the Atlantic just strong enough to hold back anything from the east just now.

It`s worth watching for further vortex disruption over Greenland/Iceland -if things react as the background factors suggest.

We are looking for the jet to buckle some more as it loses energy from the weakening vortex.

As it continues to disrupt and throw more shortwaves south east there`s more opportunity for one of these to undercut the block to our north east.Something like this

http://modeles.meteo...12-5-192.png?12

That is at the end of the HR part of the run but if the GFS is shown to be over progressive then this could happen sooner.

Things are finally balanced so the slightest change in the amount of energy from upstream will have a big influence on the temperatures for our little island.

Edited by phil n.warks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

This animation illustrates the pattern change very well - http://policlimate.com/weather/current/gfs_mslp_natl.html

Low heights over Greenland and Arctic right now -http://policlimate.com/weather/current/gfs_mslp_natl_1.png

Heights rise significantly by the end of the run despite us missing out on the cold on this run.http://policlimate.com/weather/current/gfs_mslp_natl_65.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Indeed HD, yet another close but no cigar run from GFS, but we've seen cold weather remain tantalising close to our E/NE on many occasions in the past - tapping into it is a different proposition altogether though. On

the plus side however it is at least likely to be in situ come this time next week, which is not something we've been able to say hitherto this Winter, so all is far from lost re Feb at this stage.

You have just completely written the rest of Jan off. The way the GFS has and is coming round and the amplification we are seeing 120 then I may suggest that not all is lost for the last 7/8 days of Jan either? UKMO could develop onto deep cold and I think Old met man mentioned earlier, the SW following just south of Greenland would IMO either quickly get absorbed SE ward into first trough or IMO just not develop into anything and just not be there as we get neartime.

BFTP

Posted

You have just completely written the rest of Jan off. The way the GFS has and is coming round and the amplification we are seeing 120 then I may suggest that not all is lost for the last 7/8 days of Jan either? UKMO could develop onto deep cold and I think Old met man mentioned earlier, the SW following just south of Greenland would IMO either quickly get absorbed SE ward into first trough or IMO just not develop into anything and just not be there as we get neartime.

BFTP

I have not completely written the rest of Jan off, I'm simply suggesting Feb offers the greater potential. My earlier post talked about little change across the hi res part of the run, which ends on the 24th and still leaves a week of Jan to go.

Posted

For me a great set of 12z charts (still awaiting the start of the ECM run, hoping for a good one too).

Strange how we all see things differently though. Some people only seem to see the end results of a model run, i.e. if that run verified will it snow, how cold will it be etc etc. I see a tipping point that is very very close to being reached and when it does we will be seeing very different charts. Still expecting more amplification to be fed into the models over the next couple of days and a westward trend

Posted
  • Location: Hebden Bridge (561 ft ASL) A drug town with a tourist problem
  • Location: Hebden Bridge (561 ft ASL) A drug town with a tourist problem

NOGAPS is a thing of beauty (to my untrained eye) tonight (For cold fans) and if the ECM follows it to only half the degree it did this morning then they will be shouting Blizzards from the rooftops by 7 pm this evening :air_kiss:

Posted

Think back at what ECM was posting for todays T96hr chart. If its projection today occurred, it would have

been horribly wrong with its forecast over the last week and the GFS would be shown to have had a much

better handle on things.

I think the GFS OP has performed best out to T144 recently, although that doesn't mean it has been good

mind you! But some other models have really been shown up.

Although i think it is swings and roundabouts.

ECM1-96.GIF

Edited by Matty M

Posted

Again focus on the ECM towards T144hrs where there is the possibility of ridging to Greenland again as hopefully the trough north of UK at T120 heads south into Europe.

I think our best hope going forward is to forget about this weak attempt at an easterly feed within T120 :)

Edited by Matty M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

Suddenly ECM throws in a complete outlier (as of 120h) and mucks up its consistency!

A totally different chart than all the other models (including GFS).

ECH1-120.GIF?16-0

Posted

ECM doesnt look good at 96 and 120h does it.Im not sure there will be snow at all at the end of the week according to this run the cooler uppers are swept away by saturday across eng and wales.

Im optimistic about the pattern post T120hrs though.

Maybe todays ECM won't show the extent of ridging at T144hrs we wish but i think it may edge towards it.

Posted

Suddenly ECM throws in a complete outlier (as of 120h) and mucks up its consistency!

ECH1-120.GIF?16-0

Actually it looks very similar to the GFS

Posted

If people followed the ECM postage stamps in the last 24-48 hours the charts shown on the 12z will not come as a surprise, the majority of ECM Ensembles were showing charts like this this morning :)

Posted

Not much else to comment on the models from yesterday, as long as the high builds to our east we can tap into colder air, as is evident on the GFS output where an easterly is very close. Mid term seems the best place to look for any cold incursions from the east, not long term.

Interestingly BBC forecast suggest 'it could turn colder at the end of the week'

food for thought?

Im optimistic about the pattern post T120hrs though.

Maybe todays ECM won't show the extent of ridging at T144hrs we wish but i think it may edge towards it.

ECM looks a dogs dinner at 120h until we somehow can see the azores high displaced west and the pv get a life and back west its just going to be frustration methinks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

Actually it looks very similar to the GFS

For comparison -

ECM 12z @ 120h

ECH1-120.GIF?16-0

GFS 12z @ 120h

gfsnh-2012011612-0-120.png?12

Similar? I'd say so with the new JMA but that and ECM seem to go hand in hand at the moment.

Edited by ukpaul

Posted

ECM doesnt look good at 96 and 120h does it.Im not sure there will be snow at all at the end of the week according to this run the cooler uppers are swept away by saturday across eng and wales.

The gfs looks better in that time frame now lol,and Ecm appears to be backtracking.This is going to run and run all week now I think.The uk met has been the most consistent in this it seems and a great run by nogaps,but not sure how high it rates in the credibility stakes?

Posted

You got to remember any polar airmasses come from the west are more moderated than they would be if they came off the East due to the lack of land so whilst there may be some wintry showers, snow will be restricted alot.

I think we have now all but seen the ECM doing an complete backtrack from its output 3 days ago of a successful ridge into Greenland and it goes to show how much a ridge is important, it barely devlops one and the pattern is starting to look alot flatter like the GFS constantly predicted until yesterday.

Things can still change but I think theres an overexcitment on a output that does not really hint at anything cold enough for snow, the continent is mild due to the persistance of the Russian high, our side of the Arctic is also very mild for this very reason and as in December, i'm struggling to find where any meaniful cold will come from unless the pattern changes. And of course more importantly the ECM in particular is hinting at some sort of PV, perhaps not as strong as it once was but it has not really weakened has it?

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

This type of run could be worse in the short term, but with the main body of the polar vortex over the Canadian segment reducing, in the long term it could lead to something better. As ever we are about to find out!