Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

Hmmm, everyone on my Facebook news feed keeps saying it's snowing here in Rugby, but every time I look out of the window, it isn't. Hmm.

There were a few snow grains this morning falling from the low cloud.

Posted

I'm hoping the weekend does bring us some decemt snow at last but obviously I'm not counting

my chickens! One thing I will say is it is bloomin freezing today!

We should have some hard frosts the next few nights with clearing skies and maybe

even some freezing fog and hoar frosts.

Posted

we really need to up the anty and show those south-eastern softies who has the best regional thread....They've clocked up 60 pages of posts in the same time we've managed about 13, so don't be shy, post away! :D

It's because we know the whole country could have snow and would still miss us :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

currently having some sneezing â„¢ ppn at the moment

Posted
Posted (edited) · Hidden by conor123, January 31, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by conor123, January 31, 2012 - No reason given

The 12z still says no to a snowy breakdown, wrong angle so the high just moves in the mild air no problem grrr, an hour or two or snow before heavy rain and back to normal is just not good enough.

No shocks the South East will probably get heavy snow all the way through!

Edited by conor123
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Yep poor looking GFS 12z in the medium term again. Perhaps a small period of snow before rain and atlantic conditions. The atlantic weather is pushed one day back though to Sunday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

I got excited first thing as we had snow grains, but ... Nothing since.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

So then, anyone want to post something positive in this thread??......no, didn't think so....strewth some of your posts give me the urge to slash my ankles with a blunt knife.....I trust nobody in here gave a thumbs up to "Glacier Point's" summary in the model output thread earlier on this morning?.....the one that says that all model output even in the medium term should be taken with a very large pinch of salt perhaps?

...for those he didn't see it, here's the post in its entirety....

"I would steer clear of all operational output at the moment, chaos reigns with an attempt to break down a cold block and then throw in a possible pattern change in the offing within 10-15 days. Stick with your ensemble means..

AO becoming very negative manifested in an Arctic High.

Scandinavian ridge being replaced by a mean trough solution as a strong ridge develops in the mid Atlantic (maybe a touch progressive with the transfer and I suspect the ridge to our NE won't want to go quietly.

Europe remains in the freezer, UK and Ireland on the fringe but probably joining in the cold fun as the trough begins to fully develop and back west. That's after the growing potential for something white this weekend."

The wrist slashing type posts that i have seen on the forum from last night into today have been nothing short of a Joke :wallbash: it's been frustrating from my point of view reading posts from certain members getting hooked up too much on one set of model runs, I have seen comments like it's game over now before it's even started, winter is over and the block is going to be blasted away :wallbash:

How many times have we been here with the models chopping and changing at short notice!! as the most experienced posters and forecasters have said on numerous occasions DO NOT GO OVERBOARD ABOUT ONE SET OF MODEL RUNS!!, It's time people chilled out and stopped being so negative and defeatist when people see negative posts all the time it gets to a point when it puts people off viewing and posting on the forum IMO! so think about what you are posting in the future.

On a positive note i have had a flurry of light snow that settled for a time earlier this morning :drinks:

Edited by Derbyshire_snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

A few snow grains through the afternoon, 12Z looks snowless but mostly dry and coldish with high pressure in charge, miles better than gales rain and 12°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

3rd period of snowgrains currently - can't even be seen when they'v hit the surface but they've been falling.

Posted

A few snow grains through the afternoon, 12Z looks snowless but mostly dry and coldish with high pressure in charge, miles better than gales rain and 12°C

I don't know, the "12'c" is starting to sound nice now as if we're not gonna get decent cold then bring on the spring.

This grey nothingness is just a pain and it's been grey nothingness for the past 2 winters, certainly taken the 'win' out of 'winter' for me :D

Posted

Indeed...not a great cold spell. Some optimism in the model thread I see which is good. However, it's clear now that this current cold spell isn't going to bring anything interesting except low temperatures...and so far, the murk really is ruining it. However, it is now clearing out there so hopefully we can get a long clear night at least.

Not impressed at all this week...but still over half a week to go before anything changes...so lets see what we can salvage!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Interesting..

post-8968-0-76425000-1328035289_thumb.pnpost-8968-0-00681100-1328035294_thumb.pn

I know, just saw it! He's hedging his bets, mild air might win so we'll get rain or cold air and we'll get a dumping of snow by the weekend! Fingers crossed for the latter.

Posted

Were either see the mild air properly win out and get nothing or the cold air win out the weather front slide through Ireland then the milder air take over a few days later with no snowy breakdown :lol:

Pessimistic view I know but considering these snow events always go pear shaped im staying negative on this one unless any hope appears for me being wrong.

Posted

Can't really get excited for the potential of spell of heavy snowfall if what's left on the ground is likely to thaw in a relatively short space of time.

The heavy snow falling and accumulating - great. Not having time to enjoy it - not so great.

Not according to the 12z ECM! Although uppers may get to 0c ground temps could stay v low and any slight thaw will freeze overnight... Before the next round later next week!

Posted

Were either see the mild air properly win out and get nothing or the cold air win out the weather front slide through Ireland then the milder air take over a few days later with no snowy breakdown :lol:

Pessimistic view I know but considering these snow events always go pear shaped im staying negative on this one unless any hope appears for me being wrong.

Im with you on this. I hope it does snow at the weekend but you can guarantee it will go pear shaped and we

will get nothing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Im with you on this. I hope it does snow at the weekend but you can guarantee it will go pear shaped and we

will get nothing!

Can you elaborate on that please....quoted forecasts, model runs, similar synoptics from a previous non-event perhaps?

Posted

Can we please have some objectivity in this thread.....have a look at what's being posted elsewhere, perhaps look even some of the other regional threads...Why is this particular thread seemingly cluttered with negativity? It's not good for the thread as it will put off other members from posting in here which would be a crying shame.....If you believe that the future weather is/will be not to your liking, and you see something in predicted weather patterns that support this then please say so, not just say 'there will be no snow' full stop,,,

cheers

Posted

Can we please have some objectivity in this thread.....have a look at what's being posted elsewhere, perhaps look even some of the other regional threads...Why is this particular thread seemingly cluttered with negativity? It's not good for the thread as it will put off other members from posting in here which would be a crying shame.....If you believe that the future weather is/will be not to your liking, and you see something in predicted weather patterns that support this then please say so, not just say 'there will be no snow' full stop,,,

cheers

Take a bow. :good:

I feel that this region, along with East anglia (which i've got one foot in) have some of the best chances of some very heavy snow come this weekend. some lucky parts of the Mids (West or East ) could be the sweet spot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Wheres Ian Brown? wonder what his thoughts are, I can guess actually, rain arriving in Staffs and Shrops, falling as snow elsewhere for weekend

meto give me -1°C and heavy rain sat night boooo

Edited by snow? norfolk n chance