Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

A lot of toys out the pram tonight in the MOD thread.

The meto changed the 6-15 day outlook saying'' fronts stalling across Central and Eastern areas''. IF THEY CHANGE that, then I'll say yep we will have mild south westerlies over our heads. if it stays the same.....then this region will be doing well.

Posted

There seems to be a weak trough moving in from the east, should be at Leicester soon!!

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

12Z shows area of light snow moving east to west tomorrow, and another on thursday, then exceptionally cold fri-sun, good run GFS 12Z, but UKMO stinks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

Some of the ramps in the model discussion thread talking up snow depths, last night, were very unrealistic. The pressure is just too high to have any organised or intense precip. In this type of set up, I am more interested in establishing the cold and then seeing what we could get from a battleground scenario at a later date. If we can get deep cold established it's unlikely that the Westerlies will just blast through the block without giving us some fun. I know it's not Dec 2010, and I know we didn't get the massive battleground dumping, but entrenched cold held off numerous attempts by the Atlantic to break through and we had snow from other sources.

Cold first, snow later :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

on face value, a nice ECM this evening for coldies, atlantic tries to come in over the weekend but never truly succeeds, then followed by a easterly reload.....ties in with GP's post earlier

Posted

The model output tonight just confirms my view that this is going to be one of those close but no cigar scenarios. Shame, because that's a massive push of cold to our east trying to make inroads. But it isn't allowed to make enough progress for it to really make a mark and so the temperatures might be of more note during this rather curtailed spell of cold weather than any snowfall we might get. We should at last see some decent minima and maxima recorded throughout the region, a much needed reminder that we are actually in winter.

The UKMO called this one right all along I think and the weekend will bring milder conditions. Longer term, might we get another bite at the cherry? Maybe. Certain factors are working in our favour. But we'll see. If it can go wrong, it will. For now I'll be thankful for what we have, which isn't much from a snow lover's point-of-view, but it's a start, and continue to monitor the only model worth following the UKMO (along with the NAE and NMM in the shorter term for more accurate snowfall projection) for any further developments.

Edited by NorthantsSnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

-3.1C now, this spell will be snowless for NW regions, but could see very cold minimums, especially fri and sat, maybe down to -11C like Xmas day 2010

then a boxing day 2010 style breakdown, snowless, but the atlantic not in complete control, similar to 27-31 Dec 2010

Posted

Hello fellow Telfordian haha

Good evening aha!

Will take something to beat the -12C recording of Dec 7th, 2010. That was some real cold for here.

Would like to experience -20 or slightly lower. Stupidly cold, yes, but an experience all the same.

My gosh that was a frustrating day, was something like -13c here that morning and then waited all day for that band of heavy snow only to get a few flurries and then nothing but sleet whilst areas to the south got torrential snow haha!

Bah why for once can't those frigid uppers over the continent slam into us instead, everything is to far south even with the 18z upgrade which is the best case scenario at this point, it's such a shame because it's so near yet so far and there's no way its going to trend north and west anymore.

It still looks like a week of frosts and then the weather front this weekend fizzling to nothing with things gradually turning milder without snow here, how frustrating!

Edited by conor123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Footage of me beating my computer earlier on when the radar showed the PPN dying out before it reached Leicester...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

It's -4.2 °C here right now. My record low without snow cover is -9.0 °C, recorded in the early hours of 28 Nov 2010. I wonder whether that might come under threat this week...?

Posted

It was -2.4C here at 10pm but it's now risen to -0.1C.

I guess cloud cover has increased.

GFS 18z model was suggesting snow showers for later tomorrow afternoon, so will be interesting to see if it happens.

Meto only have warnings for the eastern side of the UK and SW but not Central England

Posted

I asked my wife if there had been any snow, because there was some little precipitation going by the radar earlier over NN10. I got shouted out that there was more important things. I'm in Houston, been here for a while. I doubt she will be out lampost watching tonight for a few flakes.

Expected to get up to 25C here tomorrow. Rather overcast though.

All across the US it has been an exceptionally mild winter to date right across the board. So when we wallow in self pity, its been as crap this side. Even lake snow has been at a premium, with a wintery mix. Nearly 100 reported tornados in January, making it the third most active January since records began.

Can we keep the blizzards for the weekend. I'm back early morning Saturday.

Ta!

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted

BBC and Met Office shhowing light snow in Birmingham for this Saturday.

Im supposed to be going to Brum on Saturday. Do we think this forecast is right ?

(appreciate it could change as 4 days away yet)

Thanks

Posted

BBC and Met Office shhowing light snow in Birmingham for this Saturday.

Im supposed to be going to Brum on Saturday. Do we think this forecast is right ?

(appreciate it could change as 4 days away yet)

Thanks

I'd take everything with a pinch of salt at the moment. Come Saturday, Brum might be getting pasted or Noah ark could be seen going down Broadway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Leaden grey skies in Malvern this morning - my least favourite type of weather. Currently -1.2oC, very misty, not a breath of wind.

Posted

No snow here, but we do have snow grains precipitating out of the fog - first wintry precipitation in Evesham since December 2010 :)