Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London And The South East Regional Discussion Thread - II

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

I work for a private forecasting company and in charge of gritting for a numer of councils so lucky enough to be kept in the loop when it comes with data and discussions.

Personally, I wouldn't put all my confidence on one model and one set of ensembles - but the MO havn't put a foot wrong yet this winter.

No just the last 10 years hahaha

Posted

I work for a private forecasting company and in charge of gritting for a number of councils so lucky enough to be kept in the loop when it comes with data and discussions.

Personally, I wouldn't put all my confidence on one model and one set of ensembles - but the MO havn't put a foot wrong yet this winter.

Good Luck ! that is not an easy job and also relatively thankless ! Hope you make it through the month unscathed :)

Posted

I work for a private forecasting company and in charge of gritting for a number of councils so lucky enough to be kept in the loop when it comes with data and discussions.

I work for on the rail network and since joining 10+ years ago we have always received faxes from the Meto in cold weather. And so far we have only received a fax that ice and cold temps are likely to be below freezing within the next 24 hours. From there what we do is use winter precautions by gritting stations.

Posted

I work for on the rail network and since joining 10+ years ago we have always received faxes from the Meto in cold weather. And so far we have only received a fax that ice and cold temps are likely to be below freezing within the next 24 hours. From there what we do is use winter precautions by gritting stations.

Also the met have not put a foot wrong this winter simply because there was no conflicting signal for cold weather up until late January - February. Look not only at the n-w winter lrf but also posters like gp & chino.

Edited by winter watcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Its the Dover Strait Streamer..

0005.gif

and Kent Clipper..

Posted

Well, I can tell you that the MetO got this forecast totally wrong for Croydon. They said there would be NO snow and it would be dry. With my Yamkin persuasion, Head of highways authorised gritters to go out due to light snowfall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Severe Freezing Wind Warning/Very Cold

The wind picking up from the East /Ne - starting from- tuesday(today) after what has been quite calm airflows,

The first NAE chart showing surface temperatures around 1-3C generally across EA/SE,

12013115_2_3100.gif

the next chart is surface pressure(my arrows indicating the intensity of the cold air not wind strength, the very cold air blasting in from the East,

post-11361-0-78611500-1327982147_thumb.g

I would expect some snow showers with this flow..

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

Lightest of snow showers here at moment in Faversham.... Temp 0c

Been going for an hour now but too light to settle.... pellets mixed in now too.... heres hoping for more throughout the day.....we shall see.....

Edited by willinkent

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: love snow and frosty mornings

Still nothing here,not even a frost,im still waiting :whistling:

Posted

A little snow flurry in Ramsgate leaving a small dusting on car roofs and patio tables ... a nice little taster before the main event at the weekend me thinks ;o)

(null)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

Nowt here in Croydon, cold and frosty though :)

Posted

still snowing lightly -1c

Woke up in Dartford this morning to a very light covering of snow this morning on the car, at least 0.5mm

A little snow flurry in Ramsgate leaving a small dusting on car roofs and patio tables

:clap: Very pleased for all of you as it sort of verifies the 12z GFS chart yesterday although I'm not sure how thick it was showing. If the rest of the week broadly follows that course, Wednesday onwards should provide us with a little bit of joy!

Michael Fish not going out beyond the next couple of days on his BBC South East today forecast at 6.30 am this morning, he was going for dry with a few flurries. I'm still hoping for a snowy breakdown at the end of the week fingers-crossed.gif

Posted

I see there is still stuff like this about from last nights run:

post-6667-0-04416400-1327995971_thumb.pn

I realise I am the eternal optimist, but I just can't understand the negativity when all I see is a week full of possibilities - perhaps I'm naive? :huh:

I mean, which snow lover wouldn't take this next Monday morning?

post-6667-0-26658400-1327996326_thumb.pn

:unknw:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Drifting Snow in easterly winds, biting wind chill!

Gonna bury my head, and pop back out come friday, were in no man's land!

Snowy breakdowns.........Zzzzzzzzzzzzz = A beautiful scene quickly becomes a slushy mess.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes of any sort

no snow here in kent/ sussex border, a few bits of snow grit sitting on the wall, but temp of 1.1 and dew point -2,

no frost though,

models look a bit better for us in the se for cold lovers though.

jon

Posted

Woke up in Dartford this morning to a very light covering of snow this morning on the car, at least 0.5mm

But in the Model forums they said it would be a foot of snow, but I very much doubt that.

Edited by xanadu

Posted

Well its freezing, dull and cloudy but we do have Graupel falling in my part of essex, oh how exciting!!

Honestly are we expecting nothing more than this nothingness so far?

M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

Nothing here apart from a slight frost on the roof tops,very dull and cold brrrr